bulsatcom internet services

Will it or won't it work in Bulgaria? Which is the best option?

Moderator: Moderator

planinaman
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

bulsatcom internet services

Postby planinaman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:53 pm

bulsatcom are apparently offering an internet/tv package this winter. Is this true? Has anyone taken advantage of this?

satellitemark
Super User!
Super User!

Postby satellitemark » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:58 pm

Hi Planinaman,

I heard a whisper last year about this but nothing of substance so far !

Regards,

Mark 8)

pandasharka

Postby pandasharka » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:51 am

I did a quick search on google yesterday and it would appear that
Bulsatcom will be offering fast internet via satellite for those living in areas where dial up internet is very slow/unavailable.

According to the info these services should have begun roll out by the end of 2007. Bearing in mind how things move in BG (ie slowly) difficult to know how soon this might be available.

Did try the Bulsat.com website but as in Bulgarian only, didnt get too far! We are out of BG until March, so if anyone hears / finds out more please post here!

I'm sure there are many people out there living in rural villages with slow or no dial up connection and patchy mobile phone connectivity, for whom a solution like this would be invaluable.

Slaphead
Pig Headed

Postby Slaphead » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:17 am

You betcha it would be invaluable!

rizhoff
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby rizhoff » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:26 am

Hi,

All of the companies which are offering satellite internet are using one and the same satellite.

The most important thing is that you should have some other internet (GPRS, dial up, etc) for upload. You are only downloading from the satellite. Of course, there are satellite for both up- and download but the price and monthly fees are more than a thousand euro.

Look at this link:
http://skydslbg.com/uslovia_ceni_eng.htm

I hope you will get a better idea about sat. inernet

Stan

pandasharka

Postby pandasharka » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:52 am

Hi people

If you cut and paste the link below it makes for interesting reading. I just hope that it is going to be available via Bulsat.com soon and not too expensive!

Unlike conventional satellite internet it appears that a dedicated telephone line is NOT required for data upload.

Quite how it works I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like it will need another dish and a dedicated modem.

http://www.tooway.net/tooway-faq.html#q3

If anyone can shed some light on this please post!

pandasharka

Postby pandasharka » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:09 am

PS.

This was the original link to a financial report which outlines the business relationship between the providers of TOOWAY and distributors such as Bulsat.com.

It talks about providing a cost-effective alternative to conventional satellite internet providers. If it is anything like Bulsats (low) monthly TV viewing charges it could be a winner?!

http://investor.biospace.com/Engine?Account=biospace&GUID=3141082&Page=MediaViewer&Ticker=vsat

LUCI
Super User!
Super User!

Postby LUCI » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:11 am

we have recently had a satellite internet connection installed to our house in Gutsal, we dont need a normal telephone line for this to work. The istallation cost was 130 leva and we pay 45 leva per month. Previously we had a dial up connection via normal telephone line which was terrible and rarely worked. The new connection had a few teething problems as the equipment was in another village house on the hill, however, that has now been resolved and over Christmas when we were in Bg it worked a treat. I am not sure which company this is with but I will find out!

rizhoff
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby rizhoff » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:38 am

Pandasharka,

The equipment that is provided by Bulsatcom now is only for Sat TV. Even at their launch (years ago) they offered sat internet, but only top management knew that :)
I contacted a lot of people from Bulsatcom and ITV partner. All of them were promising that they may provide with sat internet, but they had to speak with their bosses. I do not have any offer from them yet.
If you sat internet there are two options:
1. Sat download, other (GSM, GPRS, dialup) upload
The equipment is - sat dish, sat modem, "other" (GSM, GPRS, dialup) modem and internet provider
2. Sat download and upload - sat dish and modem (two-way). The cost of equipment and monthly fees in that case are very high. Look at that link:
http://www.videomaxavs.com/en/v_prices.htm

Stan

rizhoff
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby rizhoff » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:44 am

Hi Luci,

IMHO you are using wireles internet, not satellie. I've never heard of such fees for satellite internet.
Sometimes, at very distant locations, the antena for wireless internes is just like the one for sat TV. But it is only the antena that looks like a sat dish antena.
Please, send the name or contacts of your internet provider, because if you are realy right that you use sat internet, you will help a lot of users in that forum. And for that price, I would get such internet, too.

Stan

Return to “Computers/Internet Access/Mobiles/TV/Video”