still here and looking for work

Anyone already in Bulgaria who is ready, willing and able to help those coming over? Job vacancies? Employment advice and information? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator

DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi Amandi

good luck with your search, we too are in the same position as you, (same ages too) and the thought of having to return to the UK is very scary.
We have a house to sell but sadly so does everyone else but there is no interest.

We dabbled for a short time in the property management side, but it was never something we really wanted to do here as we didn't want to rely on foreigners for an income.
What we really want to do is develop the football club so we can enable all kids in our area to have the opportunity to play the game and hopefully make their lives more enjoyable as well as our own.
This is Darren's dream job, he says he will never work another day in his life if this comes off!

It is proving to be a hard thing to do as no-one really seems that interested from Bulgaria, we have approached many businesses here with no succuess as yet, and without the help and generosity of people from the forum, and friends and relatives from the UK we wouldn't have what we already have achieved.

It isn't easy if you are not fluent with the language but obviously a little goes a long way, and good friends of course, which you have found in Indesec.

I am sure something will come up eventually for some of us, sadly not for all and I can see a few returning to the UK.

As I said good luck, and fingers crossed for us all.

Nikki

bagpuss
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bagpuss » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi Nikki,
You'd better be still there if i bring them midget gems over for Darren, if Neil doesn't get to them first of course. :lol:

BG just wouldn't be the same without you and Darren :cry:

Hang on in there girl.

Regards
B.

james111
<b>Transport Services</b>

Postby james111 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:04 pm

Amandi
http://www.jobs.bg/f618126
Spanish is not a problem there are many words similar in english. I can speak conversational spanish so I could help if you get stuck
http://www.jobs.bg/f614588
You have many friends to help you with the local knowledge, If you are no good with computers I or indesec could help with that
http://www.jobs.bg/f618131
I don't know can you but english is a must.
Just a few I have seen today.
I am still looking for the ideal job, milk maid. It is proving a little hard to find but i will keep looking. Do Bulgarian farmers use the internet?????
If the cows do have a mooooooooy weekend
James

DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:01 pm

Aww, thanks Bagpuss x

thanks for those links James

Nikki

james111

Postby james111 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:22 pm

Hey no problem if they help then great, but remember guys this is trying to help amandi,
We are not high jacking this thread. Right?

amandi
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby amandi » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:30 am

thanks everyone,especialy james.(milking cow s being an extreme example of work iv done :oops: )
its interesting to hear other stories from younger people.

oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:50 am

Work and getting an income is very hard in Bulgaria, firstly it is mostly based on where you are living, most work comes from the tourist industry and you need to be located near to that to find work, or if you are prepared to move to these areas during the seasons then you might find some work, but once you have taken accommodation out etc you will be left with very little. I think that this is an area that people have not researched enough before they sold up and moved out to Bulgaria. It has taken us 12 years to develop our company with long hours and hard work, but we are based in the tourist area. I wish you luck in your search.

Nikki keep in there with the football would hate to see you have to give up.

Jerico
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby Jerico » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:45 am

I agree with Oldtimer.

Finding or generating work in BG is very difficult. The options that are available are extremely limited for non native speakers. Most work done by expats is for other expats and generally limited to realestate or construction services. Unfortunately both of these areas are saturated and have taken a massive down turn over the last year. I expect them to get worse as Europe's economic problems deepen.

Another problem is that once work has been found, generating a liveable income is very difficult. The lifestyle that most people wish to live is not compatable with a well paid Bulgarian salary and that lifestyle could hardly be called extravagent.

I can understand the reasoning of many people who wish to retire out here or retire early out here. Both can sell up and live on their pensions (or on their savings until the get their pensions), to a better standard than in the UK.

However, i don't understand the reasoning of many of the younger people out here (pre-pensioners?). Many have moved here with no clear plans on how to support themselves for the next 30-40 years. Either they thought they could sell up and never have to work (I wish!) or live on their savings until they found work or work found them.

Living on savings until you get your pension or until you find work has some major drawbacks. Firstly is that those saving quickly get used up. Things are always a lot more expensive than you think and if you want to sit in the village bar all day.....Secondly is what happens if you have problems with your pension etc? When you are eligable for it, will it be worth as much as you thought (have you converted it to Euros yet?).

What will happen when you get to the end of your savings and haven't got an income? Can you afford to go home? Will be able to sell you house? The number of Bulgarians i see driving UK cars is increasing all the time in my area (Yambol region). Is this a start of a trend?

This post is not meant to be doom and gloom just realistic. Many expats have found a way to live and work out here. However it is hard work and long hours. I have personally never worked so hard in my life and i thought i was coming out here for an easier life! The thing that makes it easier is that i love my job and i am in charge of my life.

On a slightly different note, please think long and hard about bringing children out here. Bulgaria is an excellent place to raise children, better than the uk in many ways but think about their opportunities. What are their opportunities when they are old enough to work after living in a small rural village for many years? Go back to the UK or move to Sophia? I suggest you have a reserve to financially back them when the time is right.

On a final note, the best and brightest Bulgaria has to offer have fled this country to live and work abroad, where they think they can provide a better life for themselves and their families. As a Bulgarian friend so neatly put it- "Why are you pissing into the wind Jerrard?".

Life is difficult in this country if you have to work. This fact cannot be sugar coated by the wonderful country that we live in.

I hope this post may be of interest to some. It will be interesting to see the replies. As requested by Amandi, it is also from someone who is younger than most expats out here, myself being a whippersnapper at 29 year old. Although being barely out of nappies, i hope my peers on this forum will not disregard my views due to my age alone but accept that i have some experience and knowledge of this fine country.

Jerico

oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:13 am

Jerico I could not have put it better myself, also your comments on bringing young children or even teenagers to Bulgaria, there is not much future for them here, and I cant see this changing for a number of years even it does change. I know of many people who have thought of opening a bed and breakfast business, but again where are your guests going to come from, yes if you are in the right location you might stand a chance but again I know of many who have sold up and returned to the UK as it did not work, and I am afraid to say had to sell at a loss, as they spent a great deal of money restoring an old building thinking at the time it would be worth a lot as a going business. Think long and hard maybe spend a year here before you make the big move if possible

james111

Postby james111 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:46 pm

Hi amandi,
How are you getting on, did you have a look at jobs.bg?

Just keeping it fresh.
James

Return to “Employment”