school employment for foreign teachers?

Anyone already in Bulgaria who is ready, willing and able to help those coming over? Job vacancies? Employment advice and information? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator

Russia
<b>Property Sales</B>

school employment for foreign teachers?

Postby Russia » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Any one know of agencies in Bulgaria for a teacher who is russian and qualified as a english teacher , but here in Uk she can not get work, so we look to change country !

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:16 am

No agencies - just approach schools. Salaries are about 350-450 leva a month. Still interested ?

Banskowanderers

Jobs

Postby Banskowanderers » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:41 pm

As scot says. your best bet will be to try in Sofia. However be prepared to work 7am-3pm Monday - Friday and earn around 300-600 depending on the qualifications you have.

To be a teacher in Bulgaria you need a degree in the subject you would like to teach in.

Russian is not as popular in the schools now. English , German and Spanish are the main ones.

Try Russian schools surely that will be better??

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:58 pm

Just a point, if you are an english teacher with QTS, which is the qualification for english teachers, then you shouldnt have any problems in finding work in the uk..no need to move so far away..if you have this qualification, plus a degree..you will have no problems finding work anywhere..but do your research anyway...good luck

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:15 pm

I have been offered work here a 450 leva a month, without a degree in the subject but I would have had to have at least a tefl qualification. However I would point out that this was conditional on my Bulgarian be good enough to control the class!

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: school employment for foreign teachers?

Postby Seedy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Russia wrote:Any one know of agencies in Bulgaria for a teacher who is russian and qualified as a english teacher , but here in Uk she can not get work, so we look to change country !

Good luck with this one! I have a friend who is Russian and a university lecturer in English at a Russian university. To be fair, her English is certainly better than most Brits' but it still isn't as good as one might expect it to be..... 8O

balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Sat May 07, 2011 7:39 am

I guess the original poster has long since lost interest but a bit of info on teaching English, at least in Sofia. There is a modest/steady demand for native-speaking teachers - ie from the English-speaking world - with either a general teaching qualification or a recognised "ESOL" (English for speakers of other languages) qualification. The most recognised of these are CELTA (issued by Cambridge) and CertTESOL (Trinity College London). If you have such plus a uni degree in any subject, you'll have an edge.

On an hourly basis, pay ranges from 15-25 leva/hr depending on the school. A couple of places - eg the British Council - pay a bit more. By contrast, qualified Bulgarian teachers of English receive 5-7lv/hr or if on salary (ie, full-time) 500-700 lv/month. God knows how they survive.

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Sat May 07, 2011 9:23 am

balkankiwi wrote:By contrast, qualified Bulgarian teachers of English receive 5-7lv/hr or if on salary (ie, full-time) 500-700 lv/month. God knows how they survive.

I suspect that they do it in the same way that Russian teachers support their miserly state salary here in Russia, by teaching privately.

In fact I don't just suspect - I know, as I am currently in touch with a Bulgarian teacher who is visiting the St Petersburg State University and she told me exactly that. :D

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:42 am

Most teachers I know in BG have more than one job AND take private students AND any other work they can lay their hands on.

Dreadful.

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

teachers

Postby truckyboy » Sat May 07, 2011 12:56 pm

On reflection, there are a lot of bulgarians/russians who can speak very good english, and think they can automatically call themselves `teachers`
however what they dont realise is what they actually need in order to gain employment.
My Krassimira for example had been a teacher for many years in BG prior to moving to the uk, since then she has gained, ESOL..CELTA..EMA..QTS..is on a very high salary in the uk, and has been offered placements in various countries including Japan, and UAE with very tempting salaries.
It saddens her to read of the poor salaries on offer in her native country, but it will not make a difference when she seeks employment in BG, for she will be retired, and also on a final salary pension,plus a lump sum of £30.000, and a government pension from the uk, which will make BG salary look like childs pocket money.
She intends to work in bg, not for the money obviously, but merely to give her something to occupy herself with, and also for the love of teaching, for which she has excellent skills and qualifications.
So to anybody looking for work as a teacher, especially from the uk, i would advise them to get as many qualifications as they can, which is the same as for any kind of work or job.

Return to “Employment”