school employment for foreign teachers?

Anyone already in Bulgaria who is ready, willing and able to help those coming over? Job vacancies? Employment advice and information? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:55 am

Within the EU now there is mobility of teachers. If you are a qualified teacher in one member state you should be able to teach in others. Of course there are requiremnets about language skills too.

And coming to UK teachers have to jump the hurdle of registering with one of the Teaching Councils in UK (GTC Scotland etc)

neilmay
Super User!
Super User!

Postby neilmay » Sun May 08, 2011 9:48 am

She intends to work in bg, not for the money obviously, but merely to give her something to occupy herself

So why not do voluntary unpaid work and leave Bulgarian teachers who have only a small salary to get on with the job of teaching.
My friend is an English teacher on 300 lev a month.
Peanuts, and why take her job away because if a more qualified teacher comes along they are obliged to take them on .
Yes the system is unfair and badly paid,
Start something that will help ,perhaps teaching the gypsies or helping adults with learning difficulties.
The work here should be for Bulgarians first, it's there country we are only guests.
Who wants to work for a pittance.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:52 am

Neilmay is right
Let a Bulgarian do the job.

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Sun May 08, 2011 10:59 am

Neilmay said…

The work here should be for Bulgarians first, it's there country we are only guests.

That is a ludicrous assertion. We are all EU members and should be able to live and work where we like. You could equally say “yes, go and work for a pittance in Bulgaria so that someone can get the higher paid job in the UK”.

Surely, at least as far as education is concerned, let alone anything else, we want the best person for the job or is that no longer PC, aren’t we allowed to say/think that nowadays?

And, for Scot47 to say…
Neilmay is right Let a Bulgarian do the job.

…when he is always commenting about working/having worked elsewhere other than his native country, for most of his life, is equally absurd.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:43 am

The absurdity is that people from UK are even contemplating working for 400 Leva a month. I certainly would not !

It is precisely because of my 30-odd years experience in doing TEFL that I feel I know what I am talking about. What experience does B52 have of the job market TEFL-ing ?

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Sun May 08, 2011 4:27 pm

By the way....my wife is Bulgarian...and it is her country...although living in the uk..she is a menber of the eu, and can work where she likes....she will go to work in a private school, when she retires..she is also qualified to teach adults, and children as well....look at her qualifications..then post..

neilmay
Super User!
Super User!

Postby neilmay » Sun May 08, 2011 6:22 pm

She intends to work in bg, not for the money obviously, but merely to give her something to occupy herself

My main point is that she is working
to occupy herself

Yes work were you like. But don't work when others want the work to live and you don't.

I did voluntary work in the UK (unpaid).

I would not be working in my field just to occupy myself.

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Sun May 08, 2011 6:27 pm

truckyboy wrote:look at her qualifications..then post..

I did and I am. :D

What's an "ESOL", please? .... It's not a qualification I recognise.

neilmay
Super User!
Super User!

Postby neilmay » Sun May 08, 2011 6:33 pm

English for Speakers of Other Languages

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Sun May 08, 2011 6:40 pm

neilmay wrote:English for Speakers of Other Languages

I think that's a subject, not a qualification, neilmay.

Return to “Employment”