lpg conversion, Repairs... business idea?

Anyone already in Bulgaria who is ready, willing and able to help those coming over? Job vacancies? Employment advice and information? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator

tamlynne2
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

lpg conversion, Repairs... business idea?

Postby tamlynne2 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:19 am

Hi, I am not sure I am posting in the right section but here goes. I am considering moving over to BG between Pleven and Nikopol (Vabel) area and would like to know wether doing lpg conversion and repairs would be a possible way off getting an income? Is there a big call for Lpg conversions and repairs? I would be able to travel and do the repairs and installations on site.
Many Thanks
Andrew

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:35 am

Andrew

This is a sterling idea as far as I am concerned. LPG is a big thing here as the cost of petrol is about the same as the rest of the EU so there's a lot of LPG cars about. There's also a lot of LPG mechanics about, but the ones I have come across (I have an LPG Jeep) are dangerous. Prices though here for a good system are around 2000-3000lvs fitted, which is actually more then current UK prices. I was offered a full system in the UK last week fitted for £900, with a guarentee (which is a rarety here).

A British LPG mechanic here would go well !!!!

If you offer a mobile service as well, all the better.

Hope it helps

B

PS: Where are you in the UK ?

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Wed May 19, 2010 10:37 am

LPG is very commonplace here and has been for many many years.
There are a lot places that do conversions and every Petrol station sells it, there are alot of stations that only sell gas.A large percentage of vehicles,old and new, are already converted to LPG.
If you were to start up such a business here, you will be entering into a very competetive market.

tamlynne2
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby tamlynne2 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks very much for the replies. I would be very intrested in doing repairs to lpg systems, installs aswell as car repairs with a mobile service aswell.. I have been over to BG 4 times now and have seen the way the conversions are done there. Some are done in a very poor and dangerous way. I am not expecting to make a fortune but just enough to live comfy.
Andrew

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:56 am

I have an expat friend who had his Saab converted locally. The garage quoted him 1000lvs, at which point I warned him that for 1000lvs he would get a bodgit job.

Still, the saving was too much for him and he went ahead.

They converted it, not as a dual fuel but straight LPG , so this winter it has not started more than it has. I refuse to travel in it as currently, and he's quite proud of this, it only has SEVEN leaks.......And he smokes in the car.

It has been back to the garage more times than out.

As Owain pointed out it is quite a competative market, but good workmanship and reliability and you should make a good living.

A friend of mine in the UK started up on LPG conversions and he's just in the first 6 months won a contract from a council to convert 150 transit vans.....

missbeans

lpg

Postby missbeans » Wed May 19, 2010 11:26 am

go for it andrew, and good on you. believe me (and all of us on here) when i say that most of us living in bg would be overjoyed to have YOU do the job as opposed to a none uk speaking person. maybe you could even start TEACHING how its done properly? this would be good for you and for bg.........its really something thats needed here, and i am sure most on my bg would be right behind you with help if you needed it. now, can i buy a share in the business please? :wink:

Blackwell

Postby Blackwell » Wed May 19, 2010 12:11 pm

A Saab is multi point so will be expensive but my little Daihatsu Feroza was only 550 lv to convert !! Best thing we ever did. Can run on either but in the Winter will always start it on Petrol till it warms up a bit.

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:58 pm

Blackwell wrote: Best thing we ever did.

I agree with this completely, and add.

I really really cannot understand, with the conversion technology at hand and the REAL cost savings, that more people are not converting. We worked out that it would only take 7000km at todays prices, to pay for itself. After that, its HALF PRICE motoring.

I have just taken my 4.0ltr Jeep from BG to UK and the cost was about €180 instead of twice that for Petrol. I was in the process of selling it, but have now changed my mind.

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Wed May 19, 2010 1:12 pm

The pros and cons (if there are any!) regarding lpg fuel are discussed elsewhere on the forums...

...let's please keep this new topic to answer the O/P's specific enquiry which is solely whether it would be a good commercial venture to open up a fitting, servicing and repairs business here in Bulgaria.

Thanks. Mod 8)

tamlynne2
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby tamlynne2 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Thanks everybody for the replies. I am really keen to get over there ASAP and get setup. I have a few things to do on the house first then will set my plan into action. Any more info on areas etc that needs LPG services would be great. Thanks
Andrew

Return to “Employment”