lpg conversion, Repairs... business idea?

Anyone already in Bulgaria who is ready, willing and able to help those coming over? Job vacancies? Employment advice and information? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Wed May 19, 2010 3:48 pm

In my opinion I do not think it would be a good commercial venture.

I do not think that there will be a sustainable client base.

All new systems are to be inspected by a bulgarian inspector and a passport issued, for bulgarian fitters this is not a problem and passports are issued only after a cursory inspection, I do not believe this would happen with a new brit fitter.

If you are prepared to go through all the red tape (health and safety, fire regs, insurance etc) in setting up premisses and anything else the locals can throw at you and recoup your set up costs while competing with bulgarians who do not have the same problems and earn a living I wish you good luck.

I had a duel fuel system fitted on a zapheria for 500 leva. The vehicle has been back and forth to the uk three times and is in daily use I have had no problems with it. For peace of mind I had it checked out on the first visit to the uk by both the main agent and a lpg fitter both said it was safe.

tamlynne2
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby tamlynne2 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:01 pm

Thanks for that info. I am not only doing LPG but also car repairs. I have a BG friend who would like to go into business with me so that could help the passport situation. I was also wanting to do it for mainly the english like in VT etc. I don't want to make a fortune just a modest living. Many Thanks
Andrew

Durak

Postby Durak » Wed May 19, 2010 6:12 pm

novi pazar, mono italian system 350 lev, fitting 50 lev, multi injection version 650 lev plus 200-300lev to fit it.

You wont complete with the locals, they'll have you over in a second.

As for car repairs, oil change free when you buy the oil, prices for oil from 4 lev a litre!

Car repair outfits, about as many as there are coffee shops.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but them the facts - unless you're pensioned, independent, or extremely lucky, you aint gonna make a living in a trade like car repairs. :(

Durak

Postby Durak » Wed May 19, 2010 6:28 pm

no actually i am going to contradict myself now and say, yes there is a slim chance,just re read that you are trying to tap into brit market, yes there are plenty of brits that cannot or will not speak the lingo and therefore will use another brit no matter what ie irrespective of price! IF and I mean IF you charge twice or three time the normal rates for work the small but significant number of brit clients WILL bring you a comfy living. Sounds cynical I know, but again them the facts - plenty of mechanics done the same all across spain, no reason why the same formula wouldnt work here.

Go for it.

geocyd

Postby geocyd » Wed May 19, 2010 11:33 pm

Andrew, go for it, you have had several different viewpoints, some good some bad, but you will never know if you dont try, as you said you only want to make a living, and not become a millionaire. If you dont try you will always say to yourself what if. we are starting out on a new business venture, leaving the sunny climes of portugal and doing it in the worst world recession ever, but i have been in sales and marketing for 30 years and it is true the old saying P.M.A. positive mental attitude. To have tryed and failed is better than not trying at all........ Best wishes and i hope you do well. :D :D :D :D

missbeans

lpg

Postby missbeans » Thu May 20, 2010 12:32 am

hi again andrew, can you give us an idea of when you might be over or starting up? i am bringing over my seat ibiza and would like to have lpg if its possible on my model, so depending on price (and i know you have sort out stuff first.....so no rush) i would love you to do it. like you, i am going over to live and determined to make it my home. I have no pension or any other income other than that which i will be generating there myself.....house is all set so thats good, I will be sewing my designs and hoping to do soft furnishings and curtains and give ideas to folks doing up houses. its true that its all inyour own attitude. so i would like you to do my car when you can. best wishes, mo.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu May 20, 2010 6:21 am

It might work if you have a BG partner. Without him and his knowledge of the language and how things are done your chances are slim.

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Thu May 20, 2010 6:59 am

I am not saying don't go for it all I am saying is do your homework first.
Working with a Bulgarian will certainly help with the red tape but they may be a down side, many Bulgarians have different business and work ethics to western europeans.
I have heard so many times "I do not want to make a fortune just a small living" it does not work like that...for the average western european living in bulgaria he has to make a fortune in bulgarian eyes just to live.

If you get it right you will succeed and I hope you do.

Again I think it would be a mistake to concentrate on brits because I do not know think there is any area in Bulgaria where the population would be high enough out of the hundred or so brits I know in my area only four have bothered to get their vehicles converted, you would possibly make more money in tyre repair and straightening wheels.

As I say I am not trying to put you off its just that I have seen so many try and fail with different business start ups. What you are trying to do is set up a business doing something you can do well.Management skills are more important than just working on the spanners, just look at the fate of the rover car plant in varna and the demise of rover in the uk, the closure of the varna plant was certainly down to management skills and a large part of the uk demise was down to management.
I realise my posts are not very positive and I do wish you well just as I wish the Bulgarians who go to the uk well after I have told them the streets are not paved with gold.
Do plenty of research, chose your partners and bulgarian advisors well dont rush into anything and above all enjoy yourself.

tamlynne2
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby tamlynne2 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks everybody for your thoughts. Some make me feel good but others make me worry, they way I look at it you only live once. All the answers I have been given have been taken to heart and mean alot. Any more info suggestions or thoughts would be great. Many Thanks
Andrew

Durak

Postby Durak » Thu May 20, 2010 4:53 pm

seems to me you're the type of person open to different opinions so it's an almost given that you will succeed at whatever venture you choose to follow! Good luck :wink:

Return to “Employment”