Bulgarians Coming to UK

Anyone already in Bulgaria who is ready, willing and able to help those coming over? Job vacancies? Employment advice and information? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator

demoboy
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby demoboy » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:29 pm

Hi MOD, I know the topic is Bulgarians coming to the UK, But are the reasons for their opportunities not relevant to this thread? :)

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:43 pm

Scot47 wrote

Some were conned into being "self-employed" as window cleaners etc. Many are marginalised.

The self-employed window cleaners are within the law. The marginalised ones are marginalised because they are for the most part breaking the law by working without permission.

That's something they have in common with a lot of benefits claimants :wink:

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:58 am

Hippyboy wrote:
The reality is that everybody seeks a bettter life , that's human nature , it doesn't matter where you're from . Many Brits have sought a better life in Bulgaria , some have found it , some haven't .But , at the end of the day this doesn't say anything about Brits or Bulgaria . Generally speaking the Bulgarians who come to work in the UK have no intention of making a 'new life' there , they want to work for a while , and return to their motherland . I don't blame them for that , but it also isn't entirely fair to compare their work ethic with locals that do intend to stay there , and therefore expect a life as well as working . It would appear that many people are 'blinded' by the vitriol of the tabloids , as , in reality , a single person on benefits in the UK gets very little money from the state , barely enough to survive . Which of course is why people are driven/lured into criminality The 'knife wielding thugs' are in fact the very bottom rung of criminals , devoid of principals or orginisation . The Bulgarian 'Mutri' on the other hand are organised , but I haven't heard that they are coming to the UK on any large scale , probably because other organised crime outfits are too strong for them to take on , although of course they have connections with them for the purposes of human trafficking and other smuggling . Bulgarians will inevitably continue to come to the UK , but the vast majority will have no intention of staying there permanently . I think that the freedom of movement , plus the right to work , within the EU is a great concept , although it inevitably leads to local conflicts , but in reality all European countries have been trying to restrict the movement of their Gypsy/traveller populations for many years now , with directives to try and tie them down to a particular locale . It remains to be seen , given the current economic crisis , how many Bulgarians will want to work in the UK , if they're allowed to .

kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Immigrants in London get a house for mega bucks a month on the state because they did not fancy living in Coventry,

Would it not be more accurate to say that landlords who rent houses in London get the mega bucks?
The poor souls living in the house concerned don't actually get to keep the money that's paid in housing benefits so I'm really not sure who counts as the benefit scrounger.

I didn't think Bulgarians could come straight into the UK benefit system and it's understandable that people will choose to live somewhere that they have contacts for possible work and a support network in place.

As for thugs and law breakers of one sort or another; well every country has them and a few will move abroad and chance their arm in a new place.
If the Bulgarian would-be criminals in the UK are anything like the British would-be criminals in Bulgaria the chances are they'll be more of a problem to their fellow countrymen than they are to the native Brits.
Based on what I've seen here preying upon your own is much easier than breaking into the local underworld and establishing a position when you can't really know the culture and people.

And finally.....those who are taking advantage of the freedom of movement that Europe offers and are trying to make a better life for themselves; good luck to them.....heaven knows it's what we've done.....why shouldn't they?

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:15 pm

kazz wrote:

And finally.....those who are taking advantage of the freedom of movement that Europe offers and are trying to make a better life for themselves; good luck to them.....heaven knows it's what we've done.....why shouldn't they?

Exactly, good luck to us all :smt023

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:12 pm

Quite frankly there's a lot of Bulgarians who would like the chance to go and work in the UK for a few months , but they're not allowed to . Exactly how the ones that do work there get their work permits is none of my businesss ,but all I can say is there are plenty of others that would like to be in their shoes . As for 'fat cats' creaming the taxpayer for millions , yeah course , they've been doing it for donkeys years , and yes of course its far more than any benifit scroungers manage to swindle , But the tabloids don't write much about it because its their bosses and their boss's mates that are doing the swindling .

BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Cannot be specific to Bg, but if your under thirty you are able to work almost anywhere. Are special arrangements for those on the basis tend to be students - think those agreements exclude on basis of uni and apply on the basis of age. Least my events from travel.

Anni
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Anni » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:05 am

Hippyboy wrote:Quite frankly there's a lot of Bulgarians who would like the chance to go and work in the UK for a few months , but they're not allowed to . Exactly how the ones that do work there get their work permits is none of my businesss ,but all I can say is there are plenty of others that would like to be in their shoes .

Interesting guidance here http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... omania0408 as to what the requirements are for a Bulgarian to obtain a work permit for the UK.

The need to apply for a work permit was extended for another 2 years in November 2011, so there will be no official regulated right to work without a work permit for Bulgarians until end 2013.

I suspect the introduction of the Agency Worker Regulations on October 1, 2011 will impact on many of Bulgarians who are already here.

It is already causing havoc for "home grown" agency workers.

Return to “Employment”