Bulgarians Coming to UK

Anyone already in Bulgaria who is ready, willing and able to help those coming over? Job vacancies? Employment advice and information? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Re: Bulgarians Coming to UK

Postby qwerty » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:11 am

johnnyrotten wrote:

I'm sure of that! I suppose they are the same as our gipsys.
To the best of my knowledge, to live in a UK village is quite different to a BG village. UK villages are populated by the wealthy.

Its quite ironic isn't it, in many counties when you've managed to claw your way out of the cities and bought a place in a country village you've "Made it."

But in BG. that's seen as failure, I think this point of view will change slowly over time, BG. has been spared much of the Western rat race, but the rat race will come, it always does.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:48 am

johnnyrotten wrote:
Seedy wrote:
johnnyrotten wrote:I have never worked in the UK, but I can see the attraction for many Bulgarians. If you live in a village without money, hope, opportunity, then the thought of working in England is nice. No?

There's quite a few Brits who've also never worked in the UK - or anywhere else!

In "my" UK village there's plenty with no money/hope/opportunity.....or should that be" no incentive to get off their butts and do some work in return for their Giros"? Strangely enough, there's no shortage of East Europeans working and running businesses there though. ;)

To the best of my knowledge, to live in a UK village is quite different to a BG village. UK villages are populated by the wealthy, No? Whereas our village are populated mostly by poor people with less than 300 leva income.

I also agree with the post that says, 'depends on where the village is located'.

I would guess that some of the villages in the home counties and in areas such as Cheshire have a good proportion of footballers and business folk that have made a good income. However, I would also say that in general and on average that our 'villagers' are better off financially than your average Bulgarian villager.

My Parents were working class, lived on the edge of a big urban sprawl, but moved out to the country when my Father was forced into early retirement due to numerous factory closures.

They both received government pensions and my Father had some small superannuation income (whatever that means), but noway were they rich or well off. Having lost my Father this year, my Mother gets all kinds of subsidiaries and local 'free' help from Council volunteers that will drive her into the nearest town and a small bus service that will collect her from home, take her into town and bring her back, but at their set times.

There are some inhabitants that you might well perceive to be rich and these are usually landowner farmers and the odd industrialist that made his money before retiring. Most folk do appear to have a decent vehicle to drive and I have never seen a horse and cart on the roads nearby, but plently of horses.

My personal opinion is that it is difficult to compare a small English/Welsh village with a Bulgarian one. Our villagers are far more spread out than I witness here. My mother's village is a hamlet of around 5-6 houses all dotted around within a mile of each other, the nearest neighbour is a farm a few hundred metres down the lane and that is the only neighbour within easy walking distance. The larger village is where the Doctor, Post Office, Petrol Station, Pub/Restaurant, small shop and butcher are located plus, you will find cottage industries doing anything from hairdressing to selling home-made jams etc.

In my Bulgarian village, I have 1.5 shops, a Mayoress and a Post Office so not much to compare. I always had a similar problem explaining to Russians what an English/Welsh village was like compared to a Russian one as the Russian always conjured up a picture of outside toilets, heavy drinking, mud roads and log fires. You have to go see to experience it in my opinion.

In some what used to be termed villages, are now small towns with a number of council dwellings or shared ownership dwellings which I believe were meant to encourage the local younger folk to get a place to live. Albeit, it seems that work in these areas is not of a great choice and hence, some young folk in these places see no future either. If I was 30 years younger, I might feel the same as some of them. I can neither say they should get on their bike 'Norman Tebbit' style (as I did) or sit at home, take the dole money and blame everyone else for their misfortune.

You might have opened a can of worms here as many folk will have differing opinions and we will, if not already, be moving away from the thread title and Mr. MOD does not like that at all. :wink:

Anni
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Anni » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:26 am

qwerty wrote:Its quite ironic isn't it, in many counties when you've managed to claw your way out of the cities and bought a place in a country village you've "Made it."

But in BG. that's seen as failure, I think this point of view will change slowly over time, BG. has been spared much of the Western rat race, but the rat race will come, it always does.

That gave me a flashback moment qwerty, I left the village I grew up in early 70's. I left the area, I left the country because I had better opportunities abroad.

That same village now is a very desirable village with expensive houses (no building permitted so has never expanded). There are no employment opportunities. It has evolved into a commuter village. Like many of them have done.

People commute an hour to hour and a half to get to their place of work (unless they are fortunate enough to be able to work from home). In 1970 it was inconceivable that anyone would travel 2-3 hours per day just so they could go to work. Work from home? Only if you were a farmer there :lol: It was late 70's before I could direct dial phone Germany from that village without having to go through the operator to get connected.

My local petrol station is run by a man from Kazakstahn. He has turned the place around and has made a run down place, very competitive. My local store is currently being rebuilt by an Indian. 25 years ago, my village was predicted to die after the closure of the local mining and clay industry. Our local community centre now does a "wicked" breakfast and has well attended events on throughout the day.

Everything will change - it always does. Nothing is constant.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:40 am

The belief that rural life equates with failure is not confined to BG. Go and ask your average Frenchman, or Italian !
Last edited by scot47 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:46 am

Hi Anni,

I too lived in a village in UK for a good few years, a small village of about 500 or so people, 1 post office,1 shop,1 small mixed age school. The village was atop a low hill with views in all directions over the rolling farm land that was the Yorkshire wolds.

It was deemed to have no future and no work, I moved to the big city several miles away for work , about 4,000 people, and to give my young daughter a better start in life.....Now, all these years later the house prices are a Princes ransom compared to back then and the village has become a pretty little commuter village for Leeds almost 2 hours drive away on a bad day......How things can change :lol:

Anni
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Anni » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:10 pm

Edited because I am technologically challenged and some days my computer seems to have a life and will of it's own. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Anni on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BG9374

Postby BG9374 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:47 pm

Examine Ireland 1970 and Bg both are similar. For many village life is like living on an island without a boat and sight of a big city and lots of jobs etc.

Except are no big cities spread throughout the country with lots of jobs, comparison with Britain.

Cycle is the same everywhere, villagers move to where the jobs are, and those already their eventual want for a village life. Once they own a boat, or a car and hold no objection to spending funds allow a better weekend, fresh air etc.

Then is old age, that is another cycle of life.

On the subject of employment. Anyone out there with a few hundred acres for fifty pence? That should get me working and able to support a few. :)

demoboy
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby demoboy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:39 pm

qwerty wrote:
johnnyrotten wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, to live in a UK village is quite different to a BG village. UK villages are populated by the wealthy.

Its quite ironic isn't it, in many counties when you've managed to claw your way out of the cities and bought a place in a country village you've "Made it."

30 odd years ago village property in uk was cheap, look at it now!!!!! I for one think [or hope] the same may happen in BG, But it will be a good few years yet :?:

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:49 pm

demoboy wrote:
qwerty wrote:
johnnyrotten wrote:

30 odd years ago village property in uk was cheap, look at it now!!!!! I for one think [or hope] the same may happen in BG, But it will be a good few years yet :?:

I agree, but don't think it will be during my time however, eventually, some folk will realise that they can buy a house with land for as little as 1k BGN, renovate it and still only be 30 minutes from a large town or city. Albeit, there has to be improvement in the current infrastructure of most villages. It is one thing to drive 1.5 hours on tarmacadam surfaces listening to the radio station of your choice and another to be dodging potholes. I would really love to see some initiation from the Bulgarian government in regenerating some Bulgarian villages with all the facilities one 'should' expect. On the other-hand, if or when it ever gets to this stage, it might be time for me to move up that mountain I always dreamed about. :roll:

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:07 pm

MW, eventually enough euro funding will allow for your wishes, the problems is that u may not be here to see it!!!!!

Return to “Employment”