village labour cost?

Anyone already in Bulgaria who is ready, willing and able to help those coming over? Job vacancies? Employment advice and information? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator

Norman-D-Beeches
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Norman-D-Beeches » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Quite recently, a Bulgarian builder working on a house refurb in our village (for a local, not an incomer,) was paying 10 leva a day for labour. (The labourer is 53 years old, and was NOT a gypsy.) After a few weeks, he raised that to 15 leva a day.

shazzy

Postby shazzy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:39 pm

The going rate is betwwen 20 and 30 levs for 8 hours work this is normal we have paid our workers this since last year but i do know some locals work for 20 levs a day.I f you pay more you are asking for trouble at 30 levs a day this equats to 150 levs a week ,600 levs a month this is more than some policemen and teachers get.

dje

Postby dje » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 pm

If we come here paying over the odds for general village labour where does that leave the farmers and other employers in/ near the villages?
Before the "millionaire Brits" arrived in the village they paid 15 Leva a day for villagers to help him farm the land, take the cows out, pick grapes etc.

If Brits come here paying well over the going rate I don't see many Bulgarian villagers wanting to stay on 15 Leva a day, they will all be working for the Brits for 40 Leva a day unless the farmers also pay the new going rate of 40 Leva.

They in turn have to put prices up for everyday produce, wheat, milk etc... It would become a vicious circle

bagpuss
Super User!
Super User!

costs

Postby bagpuss » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Howdy folks,

Just catching up with local pay rates.

Dje you haven't said what you you pay the locals village people and your staff in your area.
I agree help the locals out in other ways than paying too much.
B

sealman

Postby sealman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:49 pm

il agree,were we live you cannot get labour during harvest,for 20 leves a day as everyone is in the fields for 10,as this is what they have all ways done,we fit in around them,the money they earn from us in the early spring or in the Autumn is a bonus,the idea some brits seem to have that by throwing money at the locals they will come running does not happen,
l had a guy work for me one year,he did not show up for a week,l said were have you been l needed you,he said picking mushrooms pay's more, fair one!!!

Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:18 pm

So in the last few posts we've got people saying if you offer more money,Bulgaran labourers WILL come running,then,if you offer more money,they WONT come running,then,they will work elsewhere for LESS money than a Brit is offering,then they WONT work for the Brit because they were getting more elsewhere.....confused yet?,I am.

dje

Postby dje » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi Bagpuss.

The going rate for general labour (gardening, farming etc.) in our village is 15-25 Leva for an 8 hour day.

Staff, as they should be, are paid according the their competence, hours worked etc. :wink:

Return to “Employment”