village labour cost?

Anyone already in Bulgaria who is ready, willing and able to help those coming over? Job vacancies? Employment advice and information? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator

white-knight

Postby white-knight » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:47 pm

Tiarnan wrote:Where could a Bulgarian earn that sort of money in a DAY in the UK. ?

Well most could not ...unless they have a very special job ...But 270 leva per day only amounts to about £130 per day ...nothing special in that is there,????

stewarty
drunken lout

Postby stewarty » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:51 pm

bozzy wrote

Tiarnan wrote:
Where could a Bulgarian earn that sort of money in a DAY in the UK. ?

Why does Bulgarian come into it - they get the same wage as anyone else here and I know labourers earning £100 per day (in the south east!).

Hi Bozzy, can you give me contact details of the employers who pay labourers 100 GBP a day in the UK?

Thanks Stewarty

bozzy

Postby bozzy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:08 pm

stewarty wrote:bozzy wrote

Tiarnan wrote:
Where could a Bulgarian earn that sort of money in a DAY in the UK. ?

Why does Bulgarian come into it - they get the same wage as anyone else here and I know labourers earning £100 per day (in the south east!).

Hi Bozzy, can you give me contact details of the employers who pay labourers 100 GBP a day in the UK?

Thanks Stewarty

I'm not winding you up lol

If you go to Brighton and get in with one of the smaller companies doing conversions you will find work for that sort of rate as a labourer! You may not find these jobs advertised but they do exist! £500 a week isn't a fortune down there, most plumbers and electricians are charging £200-£250 a day and Brighton hasn't really suffered a downturn in the Building trade as wealthy Londoners are still buying up the Regency flats there and converting/modernising etc :)

When you think about it if you get a job in virtually any factory in the UK, do a 12 hour shift and you've got £100 :)

At the very most it would take 2 days to earn £100 at national minimum wage.

It's not really the wages in the UK that's a problem, it's finding the work that's the problem!

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:37 am

The topic is about wages in Bulgaria , NOT the UK . In Bulgaria it's perfectly reasonable to pay people according to their skill level (or otherwise) I currently have 3 guys working for me , and they all get different wages ; this is only fair . In fact the most skilled guy has been trying to teach the other two a few skills , but without much success , and he sometimes feels like tearing his hair out because they're so useless at anything but the most basic of tasks . He's tried to give them a chance , but they've broken his tools , so naturally enough he's reluctant to let them have another go . He get's paid double what they do , which seems fair to me . Tim .

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:43 am

I wrote on "why BG's are rude" [quote]Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:29 am
Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

construction_help wrote:
I have seen many cases of brits flashing there cash on new things and then using the locals for a wages as little as 20 lev for 8/10 hours work. Come on do you think that is fair?

In short yes it is fair, primarily because in many places that is an average wage, that's not explotation, that's just paying the going rate.

I'm sure if you found a plumber (for example) in the UK charging £8 per hour you would not turn around and say, "oh poor guy you're only making £8/hr, tell you what I'll pay you £20/hr" just because he's not making that much money, would you?

The logic behind your thinking construction_help, is the kind of logic that leads to foreigners being charged more and more because the locals start to think we are all millionaires. And as a secondary point, it equates to the old system of 2 tier pricing, one for locals one for foreigners, do you think that is fair? Because if you think it is then you're mistaken as to where your money is going, the higher rate (and profit from it) only goes into the pocket of the boss, while he is paying his employees much the same rate as you are complaining about others paying.
[quote]

and it stands on this discussion also

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:52 am

If foreigners start paying more than the going rate you actually distort the local labour market which leads to bitterness . My more skilled worker told me what he thought was a fair wage for him , and that's what I pay him . I would have actually paid him 10lev a day more , but HE said that that was too much . Get with the local scheme of things , and switch off your UK head . Tim .

varnagirl
Super User!
Super User!

Postby varnagirl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:14 pm

Hippyboy...they did just that ..years ago ..and it HAS completly distorted the local labour market

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm sure they did Varnagirl , but they know not what they do ! Slightly off topic , but nevertheless relevant , was years ago in Agadir that foreign tourists were tipping chambermaids more than their husbands were earning for a 10hours' days work . Far from improving the lot of the locals this actually led to a lot of domestic strife ; so think twice before you start deciding what people should earn in another country . Tim .

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:32 pm

agreed, bozzy has a very noble but ill placed view of people's worth which will only make things worse for everyone else eventually

dje

Postby dje » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:29 pm

I agree -pay the correct going rate - You can help out in other ways.

Give people things (i.e household items, bedding, towels) you no longer want or need, a lift in the car to save them bus fare, some meat out the freezer, etc. as thanks - That is what the villagers do.

A Brit (seasonal visitor) paid over the going rate to someone who helped in out in his garden during one visit - caused a few nasty arguments between a couple of the lads in our village. :roll:

Return to “Employment”