Wages: current rate of pay for bar staff, waiters etc?

Anyone already in Bulgaria who is ready, willing and able to help those coming over? Job vacancies? Employment advice and information? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator

steven1404

Wages: current rate of pay for bar staff, waiters etc?

Postby steven1404 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:06 pm

does anyone know what the curr rate of pay is for bar staff waiters and chambermaids cleaners and cooks

or if you employ any off the above what rate do you pay your staff and does this include the part that gets paid to the goverment for the employees pension and health costs

Chippy
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby Chippy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:56 pm

I spoke to a local bar chappie an he told me he was only 2 levas an hour 8O

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Very possible, if the minimum wage is 240 leva a month, given the hours that a lot of bars and cafes are open. I pay a very skilled builder working hard out in the sun 5 leva an hour.

Batko
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Batko » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:15 am

This link: http://www.pizza-monami.com/index.php?M ... tKr&page=1 is from a pizza place in Sofia. They are advertising for a pizza chef, 50 leva a day (probably 12 hours), 2 days on, 2 days off with a work contract, paid insurances etc.

The second offer is for a waitress, 15 leva day with work contract and paid insurances. They also offer 4% of the daily takings and she would get to keep her tips.

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:52 am

Batko wrote: The second offer is for a waitress, 15 leva day with work contract and paid insurances.

On a 12 hour day this equates to €0.60 an hour. I now understand the age old Bansko tradition of "waiter hiding in the kitchen when the punter wants his change".

bgcarl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby bgcarl » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:48 am

I kept an article from the Bulgarian "Standard" newspaper published about four months ago, purely out of interest. The figures were provided by the Afis Agency and as far as I can make out from the text and tables, the survey is based on an average of all Bulgarian people of working age. The figures of the survey are for monthly income (yes monthly). The title of the article was "Every fifth Bulgarian on 5 lv a day" The article was dated 19th Feb 2011, but didn't quote the date of the survey.

Less than 50 lv 3%
51 - 100 lv 6%
101 - 150 lv 13%
151 - 200 lv 19%
201 - 250 lv 19%
251 - 500 lv 30%
501 - 750 lv 6%
751 - 1000 lv 2%
1001 lv or more 2%

What shocked me was that not only are 90% on less than 500 lv a month, but 60% are on less then 250 lv a month.

swbg2010

Postby swbg2010 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:39 am

Your looking at around 500 Leva a month for 5 days a week . around 10 hours a day.
Wages in Bulgaria are a disaster. recently looked at Bar jobs in the uk from 7-13 pounds per hour.

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:23 am

I pay my cleaner 15 leva an hour -

i just carnt bring my self to pay BG stadard rates, its a morality thing for me. It may be different if i was employing 15 builders to build a house for 18 months when it should take 5 of them 6 months - but for my cleaner - who is bl**dy fantastic - i think i can stretch myself and pay her something that will keep her happy.

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:12 pm

AngloBulgarian wrote:I pay my cleaner 15 leva an hour -

i just carnt bring my self to pay BG stadard rates, its a morality thing for me. It may be different if i was employing 15 builders to build a house for 18 months when it should take 5 of them 6 months - but for my cleaner - who is bl**dy fantastic - i think i can stretch myself and pay her something that will keep her happy.

"Happy"? I should think she's delirious! :lol:

Many cleaners don't get that sort of money in the UK, so I'm not sure where the "morality" aspect comes in but I bet any Bulgarian earning a standard salary and looking for a cleaner at normal rates in your area is not going to thank you for skewing the market so dramatically.....

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:19 pm

Reading John Simpsons biography at the moment and he tells an interesting tale which I experienced exactly the same. In Johannesburg we thought that the salaries for domestics was embarassingly low so we thought we'd buck the system and inject a bit of compassion into the thing and gave her double the going rate.

She and her husband ended up robbing us blind, including furniture.

Got everything back in a midnight raid but after that we paid as was required and treated our domestics the same as what they expected.

15lvs an hour is incredibly high and I am sure that if push comes to shove she'll still take the same nautical mile should you give her an inch

Return to “Employment”