Jobs for English teachers?

Anyone already in Bulgaria who is ready, willing and able to help those coming over? Job vacancies? Employment advice and information? Post it here!

Moderator: Moderator

filip_expat

Jobs for English teachers?

Postby filip_expat » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:02 pm

Hi there

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I found no thread related to teaching English at all.

My name is Filip and I'm Polish. Have spent a big chunk of my life moving all across the world. I lived in most countries of Europe, making ends meet through English teaching. When I got bored, I simply left.
Now. Bulgaria has never been on my map. I was there last year though for vacation and met a wonderful girl. So I decided - "why not?!"

I'm now considering moving to Sofia. No matter what country I moved to, I was providing English mentoring (non-native) and it let me make ends meet. It's my job, anyways - I'm an English teacher by profession.

Now. Just a few things I'd like to know about.
1. Living costs. Can anybody suggest some resources where I can learn more about the living costs? Basically, I always have some work on my hands (being a freelance translator) but I don't believe this would be enough.
2. How much would I make as an ESL teacher in Sofia? Is there any demand for private lessons provided by non-native tutors?
3. Can anybody suggest any language schools in Bulgaria? Are they hiring?
4. Last but not least - would I survive in Sofia speaking English/Russian/German only? Apparently, Bulgarian seems to be a bit similar to Russian or my native Polish. And my girlfriend wouldn't always be there with me to lend a helping hand - she's got a day job in Sofia so I'd spend the better part of the day on my own.

Thanks for your answers!

regards
Filip

FlagHostel

Postby FlagHostel » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:09 pm

hi filip,

if you are polish you are wasting your time in sofia

you are not a native speaker so you will earn s h i t money like bulgarian's
who teach english.

5 euros an hour will be a bench mark for you

the same as you can earn in warsaw.

only benefit - sofia is approx half the cost to live in than warsaw, if you know
where to go.

polishman dates a bulgarian girl ?

interesting.

let me know how it goes if it last more than 3 months

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:30 pm

It is now difficult. There are many competent and qualified Bulgarian teachers of English now. You will find it problematic to earn enough to support yourself.

FlagHostel

Postby FlagHostel » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:55 pm

yes scott is right fillip.

you are wasting your time.

there are many Bulgarian's now teaching 'Bulgarian English'
they are s h i t which is why they get s h i t money.

but the Bulgarian owned and run schools do not care about the standard of English taught as long as they can get in cheap teachers and make a profit

i know the owner of a well know school in varna.

his view is " as long as they keep on paying (referring to the students),
i don't give a toss "

that sums up their attitude...

Bulgarian English, well i need to start another thread for that so everyone can add examples they have come across.

Nosmo_King
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Nosmo_King » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Filip ,

Take no notice of FlagHostel , his English is so good he cant even spell your name right . There are many good schools around , including Varna , dont be put off by ignorant people who think they know everything but in reality know very little . Even his example of 5 euros ( approx 10 lev ) an hour at a normal 40 hour week equates to over 1600 lev a month . Which is good money for Bulgarian standards .

FlagHostel

Postby FlagHostel » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:27 pm

exactly nosmo.

which is why filllllllllllllip is wasting his time.

lets work by nosmos maths and take 10 levs per hour.
he is right. 40 hours per week gives you 1600 levs per month, or 800 euros.

if you live in a decent apartment in sofia, then you need to pay 300 euros per month minimum rent plus bills extra.

so that leaves you at best 500 euros per month to eat and live on for working
40 hours per week or 160 hours per month.

500 euros / 160 means you will be earning 3 euros per hour, or approx. £2 per hour
in English money.

so your wasting your time filllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllip.

if that's what you want to do, then great.
contact Britannica or Berlitz.
they take anyone prepared to work for this as they can make a profit on every class
of 10 you teach.
even if you say or write 'anyways' (not sure if that's polish or Bulgarian English)
some schools won't give a toss as long as the students keep paying for lessons.

or

you could just find your own 2 students and teach them for 5 euros per hour at your apartment and you will be making more money

up to you fillllip which way you go or do nothing as most people's time is worth
more than 3 euros per hour.

mine certainly is

btw fillllllllllip, everything I tell you is based on what I am told face to face from
people I know.

it is not based on I know everything but tell you everything incorrect.

commenting on another thread here, yes you can certainly earn more teaching
English in other countries.

again I know an American girl, but remember they are kind of native speakers in their own naff fashion.
she works in Barcelona teaching and earns 25 euros per hour.

so being polish, if you are lucky, you might be able to bull **** 12 euros per
hour there - and depending on how much rent you have to pay, it could be more
profitable for you.

Barcelona is a million times more interesting city to live in than sofia and has an atmosphere.

the whole of Bulgaria has none

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:51 pm

Flaghostel
How is an unemployed Brit of no fixed abode getting by in BG ?

Anni
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Anni » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:40 pm

FlagHostel wrote:Barcelona is a million times more interesting city to live in than sofia and has an atmosphere.

the whole of Bulgaria has none

Isn't an atmosphere a subjective matter?

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:47 am

Personally Flags, I lived in Gibraltar for 8 years and traveled extensively in Spain and found the Spanish very racist, insular and mercenary.

There is an atmosphere because they all talk at once, mostly rubbish

It is also very difficult to operate any kind of activity in Spain business wise and has a very high crime rate towards foreigners and foreign property.

Incidentally why dont you go to Barcelona?

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:57 am

scot47 wrote:Flaghostel
How is an unemployed Brit of no fixed abode getting by in BG ?

ouch! low blow...

Return to “Employment”