Setting Up A B & B In Bulgaria

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

Furlessbadger
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Setting Up A B & B In Bulgaria

Postby Furlessbadger » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:03 am

Hi There.

I am thinking of offereing B & B from my property in Bulgaria for about 2 months of the year, does any one have any experience of this (as far as the Bulgarian regulations are concerned), can anyone point me in the right direction as far as requirements are concerned.

Thanks

Furless

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:19 am

Yes you have to register your property to have it graded, for the level of accommodation you are offering, but once you have started the process of applying for registion, you are allowed to open your doors, you don't have to wait for the process to end. No idea what you have to do about fire doors, or stuff like that? Do a search on b & b and you may find the earlier threads on this.

Lee

carriemc
<b>Rental Agent</b>

Postby carriemc » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:01 am

I believe you only need to apply for categorisation if you offer food. If you offered your rooms on a self catering basis don't think you need to apply (at least this is what people in our village have been told by their lawyer!).

You would then only need to cope with standard taxes etc., until Bg joins EU and then there will be all sorts of safety & fire issues!

Caroline

Furlessbadger
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Re; Opening A B&B

Postby Furlessbadger » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:13 pm

Thanks for the info, I think my next step will be to contact my account.

Thanks

Furless

carriemc
<b>Rental Agent</b>

Postby carriemc » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:14 pm

Good Idea!

Caroline

Pelican
Mega User!
Mega User!

B&B

Postby Pelican » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:52 pm

You'll need to take a Lawyer or a very skilled translator to your local Obstina, where you can begin the process of applying for Guesthouse status with the Council, the Tourist Board and the fire dept. You'll need to buy and have registered and programmed a Cash Register (Kashapparat?).

You must have a service contract for the cash machine and you'll need an (preferably) English speaking accountant.

Many taxes must be paid for a range of things, how many beds you have for rent? How many rooms?, To set up as B&B, you have to pay for the licences, you'll have to visit your Obstina at least 5 times and they will want to come out to do an inspection of your house. You must have an official notice outside the house with your star rating and status on (yep you pay separately for that too). You CANNOT open for business as soon as you start applying but only on receipt of a temporary licence.

Good luck,, we had our first paying guests last month.

Furlessbadger
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Re; B & B

Postby Furlessbadger » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:05 pm

Thanks for that Pelica.

How long did the whole process take? as I have paying guests as from 1st August 2007 (14 months time).

Thanks

Furless

Pelican
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pelican » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:32 pm

You'll have plenty of time. I think we completed the registraion in 2 months.

We do have a friend who works at the Town Hall, that undoubtedly helped.

Just expect things to take a little longer and you'll be fine.

Do keep in touch and let us know how you are doing

Return to “Business Link”