martial arts, boxing

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

bvlgary
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

martial arts, boxing

Postby bvlgary » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:07 am

ok, have been looking at starting different ventures over in bg but had no response to some of my questions.
just want to try this one. I dont know of any martial arts practised or originating in bulgaria. among other things i am a martial arts instructor. not in one particular art, but more mixed martial arts. in my case adapted for streetfighting and door security, however can instruct in several and the model would be to open various schools. have also been a boxing coach. i wondered whether anybody thinks there maybe a market for this, it would just need a small halland i can get seminars frompeople in england,europe and america(if there was enough interest). i havent heard of anywhere in bg doing this unless someone knows different. also if anybody knows of any premises. all replies would be gratefully appreciated whatever your view.
we could have the next bulgarian boxing champion

Labora
<b> Pool Supplier/Installer </b>

Postby Labora » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:39 am

I used to teach Yee Chuen Kung Fu back in the UK many moons ago but thats another story, I think that there is a good opportunity here to start something like this, I know that Karate and Kick Boxing is practised here in Varna although i don't know much about where it happens. Go for it bvlgary, I think its a great idea :D

bvlgary
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby bvlgary » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:50 am

thanks labora for quick response. ithought there was somewhere but hadnt heard off. there are a few things that i will have to work out before i can come up with a proper business model. whether they are training for actual fitness, competition or self defence. at the moment we train in several gyms where they already have other martial arts classes, the idea being that some people prefer one to the other.i.e i was never keen on some as they were too constrained in their approach for me, but for other people it is exactly what they need. (may even make a resurgenge of the ancient Lancastrian martial art of Ecky Thump)
this has led in recent years to boxercise and mixed martial arts, karate practitioners probably wouldnt ever go to boxercise(neither would i) and the other way around. thanks for your help. i very much value your opinion and all others given, cheers.
we have even trained in Heaton park in manchester in thai chi (not to great extent though) so premises can always be overcome i suppose

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:54 am

Hi bvlgary, this link may also interest you:
http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... rtial+arts

8)

dfmdaz
<b>Transport Services</b>

Postby dfmdaz » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:04 am

HI

i'm moving to BG soon and im also intersted in Martial arts, so if you have any info on this i would appreciate it.

I'll be in the Stara Zagora area and will be looking for clubs or training partners.

Cheers Daz.

musicman
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby musicman » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:45 am

I've had friends who have started their own gyms in the UK and it isn't a easy business. Although the good ones have been successful.

For a start you need a good reputation - How many fights have you had and in what category? I would not go to a gym unless the the instructor hadn't had at least 55 fights - and been paid.

I'm a Thai boxer but have always done boxing too and this is what I will always check when checking out a new gym - because of my work I travel all over so am never tied to one club - Although I know who are the best.

The facilities need to be good too for bringing in new fighters - which can cost - dont get me wrong I love an old school gym with sweat dripping down the walls and broken mirrors etc but people new to the gym can easily be put off - especially woman (please no offence meant)

Good luck though man - What is your Forte anyway?

Best Regards
Music

sarah1703

Postby sarah1703 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:20 am

My partner does muay thai & a bit of boxing so would like somewhere to train if we move to BG , this is a really usefull forum full of info about everything.

dfmdaz
<b>Transport Services</b>

Postby dfmdaz » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:24 am

Thanks for your comments.

I'm now in it for the training and knowledge. My days of competition are over, I'm getting to old for that. Dont get me wrong i love a spar or grapple in the gym, i find this a great training exercise.

I've trained in many martial arts and now train in Modern martial arts, western kickboxing and mess around with a little BJJ and grappling.

I dont mind if people want to train for competition, self preservation or just to keep fit. I keep an open mind on everyones requirements for training.

I would be happy to train at several dojo's if the training is good, as i would be just as happy to find a training partner and hire a hall somewhere to practice and learn from each other.

cavlady

martial arts & boxing

Postby cavlady » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:57 am

My grandson,age 10, is learning karate and very keen. He is progressing well and we are hoping that when we move to Bulgaria ib the summer he will be able to continue??

bevjo

Postby bevjo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:30 am

Musicman,

I have to disagree with your point regarding poor facilities, I train at prokick head quarters in Belfast, the club has been going sinse 1990 and it's still in the tin hut it started off in, sweat drips down the walls and mirrors and it stinks of sweat also, our coach is Billy Murruy who has been world champion a few times over and he is very much hands on, its great to go as a beginner or professional and Billy takes every class, its taken nearly 20 years though to get recognised and is now backed by Belfast City Council so the plans are in to build us a brand new complex paid for by the council.

My point is our gym has loads of women that are members and don't get put off by the spit n saw dust premises.

bvlgary,

Go for it but expect it to be hard work and you will have to be there all the time to train people, I know Billy is in our Gym from morning to night 7 days a week along with flying all over the world for fights etc.

Maybe if you get it up and running we can organise some fights :o) let us kick the crap out of ya..hehe...

Return to “Business Link”