Investment opportunities in Bulgaria!

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

lipmag

Investment opportunities in Bulgaria!

Postby lipmag » Wed May 14, 2008 2:54 pm

Dear Friends,

I am representing a Bulgarian company which offers investment opportunities in Bulgaria in many areas - Agriculture, Automotive, Construction, Trade, Real Estate, etc.
We have started this activity on September, 2007 and we already have 4 successful projects.
We discuss details after personal contact so I invite anybody who wants to do business in Bulgaria or a business related to Bulgaria to come and see us in Sofia. For those who are interested I can explain more( but nothing particular) on internet.

Good luck!

Spiralbg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Spiralbg » Wed May 14, 2008 2:58 pm

Do you have an email address? I may know somebody who you may be interested in speaking with...

lipmag

Postby lipmag » Wed May 14, 2008 3:08 pm

inv.opp@abv.bg But I will be able to answer tomorrow because I am going
out.
Thank you!

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:06 pm

I'll continue with this thread as the title suits my needs.

If for example someone had circa 60-80k Euro to invest where would you suggest investing it in BULGARIA?

The investment needs to be low to medium risk, no Off Plan property, but should give a steady if not huge return.

So far, the options discussed have been: -

Buying an apartment in a Bulgarian city. Prices circa 600 - 1000 Euro per square metre, but the gross return might only be circa 200 Euro per month which is a long time to see any real return. With the market likely to get even worse than it is now, is it a worthwhile option? If one could find an 800 Euro per square metre apartment going for 200 Euro per square metre it might be a better option.

Buying a coastal apartment; some very good knock down prices, but what is the holiday rental market like? Plus, is the seasonal return more in financial terms that a residential letting over the whole year.

Buying shop units; preferably smaller 10-20 square metre units as opposed to one large unit and in a Bulgarian City?

Outside of the property box, buying land, how much can one let good agricultural land for, is it a constant return, what happens if the field(s) are set aside?

Natural Power; I now understand that companies such as EVN do pay to those that provide power into the national grid. It is 'X' amount of Stotinki per kilowatt, but I have no idea how much a wind turbine or a small solar park might produce or how much you can put into the grid.

I understand that some if not all of the options I have listed are probably covered in more detail in their own threads, but at this stage, I am just looking for some steerage where the better investments and returns lie in this on-going recession.

Please, do not bombard my Inbox with apartments for sale, or business offers or advice that buying gold or platinum is a better option as the person with the cash, will not go for it, so you'd be wasting yours and my time.

Cheers.

Ps. Buying the My Bulgaria website is also NOT an option. :lol:

carriemc
<b>Rental Agent</b>

Postby carriemc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:42 pm

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:10 pm

carriemc wrote:How about snail farming?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15517221

Requires 'Hard Work & Shrewd Planning', but at least you don't have to get up at 4 AM to milk them. :lol:

I won't explore this particular line here as I know that there is a separate thread on snail farming and Mr. MOD is somewhat quicker than those that live under a shell. :roll:

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:16 pm

If I knew the answer, I'd already be doing it. You would be surprised at how nice returns can be from things like financing a bloke to start a taxi or someone to open a coffee shop, but you'd have to be prepared to get down and dirty with it. In a rural area the scale of investment is going to be insufficient to make much of an agricultural enterprise but you could pick out a suitable local and get him to grow something on your land, provide inputs in exchange for a percentage of the crop or something similar. Interest rates are too high to be able to leverage it through debt and you won't get much of an apartment for 80K but I would guess that if you can get a good property deal in Sofia (and nowhere else) you could get something approaching an OK return. In terms of not wanting to do anything proactive, this would be your best route I reckon. Personally I would spread it thin through a number of options and remember that a contract is not worth the paper its printed on.

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:19 pm

Hey Wolfie, the way the Euros going, tins of beans and shot guns might be the next big thing :D

To be serious though for only a moment, buy a large piece of land from a coop that already has EU grants attached, collect the grant and collect the farming share.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:43 pm

Mat wrote:If I knew the answer, I'd already be doing it. You would be surprised at how nice returns can be from things like financing a bloke to start a taxi or someone to open a coffee shop, but you'd have to be prepared to get down and dirty with it.

That's a fair shout, but I am of the opinion that 'people' will always let you down unless you really find yourself a nugget with a heart of gold.

Mat wrote:In a rural area the scale of investment is going to be insufficient to make much of an agricultural enterprise but you could pick out a suitable local and get him to grow something on your land, provide inputs in exchange for a percentage of the crop or something similar.

The problem here is as with the snail farming idea is HOW much one would need to invest and without direct market buyers, you're always controlled by cartels and whatnot. I thought about Almonds and even Christmas/New Year trees, but I haven't researched how much land one needs, how much investment in the stock, how much maintenance and where your end market is likely to be. However, I do take your points.

Mat wrote:Interest rates are too high to be able to leverage it through debt and you won't get much of an apartment for 80K but I would guess that if you can get a good property deal in Sofia (and nowhere else) you could get something approaching an OK return.

I went to visit the office of a well known Austrian Bank in Burgas last week just to find out what the apartment market is doing. Their Lawyer gave me a very clear impression that too many Bulgarians (probably could add all Europeans here) have taken credit/mortgages that they cannot now pay back. Therefore, the apartment owners, are trying to sell their properties before the bank forecloses on them and then the property goes to Public Auction with a minimum price as set by the Mortgage Provider's assessor. If the property does not even make their minimum price then, it is withdrawn and re-entered at a later date for a lower price.

However, I did not see any 'great deals' to be honest as the bank is trying to get as much of its money back as possible. I only looked at Burgas City centre properties and you could get a nice apartment comprising of 60-80 square metres in the price range I mentioned, but rental return would only be around 200 Euro gross per month. I should add, that some of these apartments were turnkey with quality leather furniture and fitted kitchens

Mat wrote:In terms of not wanting to do anything proactive, this would be your best route I reckon. Personally I would spread it thin through a number of options and remember that a contract is not worth the paper its printed on.

Not quite sure what you mean by not wanting to do anything proactive? The investor is not against getting some kind of employment or activity out of the project whether that be collecting rent or actually using one of the shop units to try to sell something. Personally, if it was my own money, I'd want to buy a wind turbine and/or solar system for my own house and sell the surplus to EVN. That is the only win win scenario that I can come up with, but I still need to research the finances of such a project. Plus, you never know, for such projects there will be some EU Grants even if paid retrospectively.

Many thanks for your input. :wink:

Spiralbg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Spiralbg » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:13 pm

I have an excellent idea, but to be honest we would have to have a pretty good connection before I told you what it was ;)

Return to “Business Link”