Dry Stone Walling Erection/Repairs

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

Gatso
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Dry Stone Walling Erection/Repairs

Postby Gatso » Sat May 02, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi there
I am doing some research before my move over to Bulgaria and wonder if there would be any call for Dry Stone Walling as I am taking a course shortly so will be qualified. I will be in the VT region but would of course travel.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Cheers
Gatso

Mat
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Mat » Sat May 02, 2009 8:15 pm

If you're in VT then you will have seen the walling done in Arbanassi - most walling seems to be cladding, but there is some really first class stuff done on new houses in the village. However, you'd have to price yourself at the same rate as the locals to get any business....

Stylish

Dry Stone Wall

Postby Stylish » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:14 pm

Would anyone be interested in learning how to build a dry stone wall? 8)

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:47 pm

b**ger. We've just had 100 metres of dry stone wall built as well.......

Stylish

Stone Walls

Postby Stylish » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:01 pm

The wall I take it is well made, good so would you care to share who built it and would they be able to teach other Bulgarians or people who want to learn that have need to rebuild their collapsed walls? As there does not seem to be any stone masons in this area. :) Your help would be appreciated.

Chippy
<b>Building Services</b>

Postby Chippy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Most villages I have cme across have a stonemason either living there or in a close proximity. Seeing a true meister at work is great and I could watch it all day. To go back to the OP there is a need but it is whether you would be prepared to compete with the local labour market. If so yo could have a healthy future.

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:44 pm

Our stonemasons came from Gotche Delchev in the South West near the Greek Border. The region is very famous for stonework in particular Granite, Most of the houses in the village are made from local granite. They would actually teach their skills for a price, and if its anything like the cost of the walling it was incredible value for money and the workmanship was second to none.

Return to “Business Link”