setting up in Sunny Beach

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

monday1
Super User!
Super User!

setting up in Sunny Beach

Postby monday1 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:10 pm

Next season I hope to open a c-store in Sunny Beach as near to the main strip and road as possible. I have noticed there are alot of supermarkets that sell various products but we hope to open a british store with the full range you would expect to see at home for a good price. our main area focusing on chilled including ready meals, bacons, cheese, desserts, home meats and snack foods and pasta.
Its been 2 years in the planning but the one thing I am struggling with is the pittfalls of this kind of venture in sunny beach. Namely corruption, why nobody else has tried, taxes, rates, suitable property, and power problems
as far as shopfitting, stock delivery, epos etc its all done.
any info would be gratefull. we have the budget just need the inside info.

dron
Super User!
Super User!

Postby dron » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi monday1
Sounds like a good idea, you just wonder how nobody has opened up already. Pm nellybg she's local and working in Sunny Beach area may
be able to help or will know of someone who can.
Let us know when you are open.
Dron

directdebit
<b>Property Sales</B>

British Store

Postby directdebit » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:48 pm

Hi Monday1,

My friends opened such a store in Balchik a year ago - pls e-mail us for any specific info you need at info@britishlionfoodstore.com or take a look at the www below.

Regards

oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:28 pm

I am not sure whether this would work or not, a couple of things that you need to take into account.

1. British tourists are not the largest % during the summer
2. Winter it is like the Mary Celest
3. During the summer months there is no where to park in the resort so most people will have to carry the items back to there vehicle.

I dont see why you would have a problem with corruption, only that you will pay a premium rental for your property.

For me I would think that you would do far better if you set up slightly inland as there are many British people now living in these villages, and most dont venture into the resort during the summer season Anyway good luck with your venture

balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Perhaps the main reason no-one's done it in Sunny Beach (or similar) before now is contained in the 2nd word of your post - "season". If a shop for British grocery lines and Brit-style meats is located where the vast majority of potential customers - Brits on cheap seaside packages - are only in situ for, say, 4mths of the year, and then are short-stay visitors staying in hotels and neither geared for nor interested in home-cooking, what prospect for a successful business?

Not good, imo ...

monday1
Super User!
Super User!

Postby monday1 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:01 pm

are any of the resorts along the coast places where ex-pats and locals live and shop all year. are the supermarkets that are in sunny beach and surronding areas open all year or just in summer months. How far would an ex pat be prepared to travel.
We dont plan to open a small store but a fair size with over 3000 british lines and a further 3000 local sourced at price that wont break the bank.
eg cadbury dairy milk large bar uk price 99p-£1.79 bg price 3.50 lev

places ive looked so far.
St vlas main square
nessabur
ravda
sunny beach
kosharitsa
elenite
ahleoy
any thoughts guys, what im looking for is someone who lives near the coast to advise on where they shop and no go areas.

oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:19 pm

Looking at your list to be honest there are very few British people who live in any of those areas in the winter. Most British that live full time are the other side of Burgas Yambol way. We are here all year but sorry would not be able to keep your shop going all year.

balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:33 pm

Mate, I don't think you're getting it. You use "resorts" and "all year" in the same breath but as oldtimer has told u - and she should know - the Bulgarian Black Sea resorts are dead as a dodo outside the May - let's say June to be on the safe side business-wise - to August period. Not only are there no Brits, there's practically no-one period in those (God-awful) resorts over the winter. Have you actually visited some of them in, say, January or February to see for yrself?

monday1
Super User!
Super User!

Postby monday1 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:54 pm

no we do get it, but this is why im fact finding now. what im trying to find out is if any of the resort offer a possible year round trade and the answer I now know is No. so I then need to no weather heading inland or towards the cities offers a better year around plan.
the reason why sunny beach was chosen as a possible location was due to the amount of new supermarkets there that apear to make a good profit but maybe this is not true.
The other fact finding I need to do is maybe this is the reason why nobody has tried it before as the market is to small. we need to answer as many questions now before its to late.
maybe those in the know could advise possible places for such a project for us to investigate

7RED
Super User!
Super User!

Postby 7RED » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Hi Monday,

I also think that you will find that nearly all the small to medium retailers stock most quick fix food supplies for the apartment owners, heinz, pot noodles, uncle ben's, brown sauce, marmite, s&v crisps, cadbury's etc have been around the SB and GS area's for a few years now.

Perhaps you would be better off looking around the Sofia area.

Anyway good luck.

7red

Return to “Business Link”