Would there be work for an English mobile DJ in BG?

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

Songmaster2003

Would there be work for an English mobile DJ in BG?

Postby Songmaster2003 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi everyone!

I work as a mobile DJ in the UK - Weddings/Birthdays/Retirements etc etc etc and was wondering if there would be a need for my services in BG.

Though I have 25 years experience in the entertainment business mainly in the UK (but have worked in Norway,Germany and Spain), BG would be a totally different kettle of fish - do you think there would be enough regular work to eek out a living - presumably most of my clients would be British?

Are there any other British mobile DJ's already established in BG?

All advice gratefully received!

Cheers,

Greg :)

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:22 pm

Hello Songmaster2003. Why BG? I would have thought that night spots and private customers in more affluent countries would pay better.

Songmaster2003

Postby Songmaster2003 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:00 pm

houseman wrote:Hello Songmaster2003. Why BG? I would have thought that night spots and private customers in more affluent countries would pay better.

Hi Houseman,

We're thinking of moving to BG anyway so I was hoping I could continue the DJ work but if it's a no go I'll look at other options and maybe do the odd gig if the opportunity arises. :)

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:11 pm

I see 8)
It's a long way to go and a lot of kit to take, just as a speculation, but if you have kit and caboodle anyway then you haven't much to lose!
:D

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Where in bg do you intend working from :?:

steph-dom

Postby steph-dom » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:39 pm

the way i see it is that only the younger bg generation listen to uk music.

rap, donk and rnb & chaska, anything else, forget it!!!

where in bg do you plan to move?

your target would be the youth imo.

could you cater for that???

if so maybe open a discotheque in your local town???

im 33 and many people have suggested i do this as i have 1000s of tracks of current music.

maybe a joint venture if your not too far away from me. im 40km north of VT NEAR PAVLIKENI,

damyan
<b>Property Sales/Insurance Sales</b>

Postby damyan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:10 am

You should put some effort and learn the Bulgarian favourite dance songs of the target generation for each of your sets.

Also, lots of British owned bars around Bulgaria, they can all invite you for a gig.

Sagitarius
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Sagitarius » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:12 am

I dont know about other areas but along the black sea coast many expats have run out of money and left BG (some temporary, some permanant). Some are just about existing and can't afford to go out. There were a couple of dj's in this area and they catered for the more mature age group doing 60's 70,s etc and there were some county music line dancing events but they are normally in the summer and held at brit bars.

Realistically, you would probably spend more money than you would make in the sparodic gigs you may get (petrol, expenses)

Contact some of the english bar owners on here and ask them how their custom is and whether they would be able to give you any work.

best of luck!

bulgariabill
Super User!
Super User!

Postby bulgariabill » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:57 am

Hi Songmaster
I brought my Mobile disco with me two years ago, just in case? in that time I have done a few gigs for Brit bars and a couple of charitable organisations events. IMHO it will not make you a living.
I agree if you have all the equipment then starting your own or joint venture disco may be the way, but in BG thats no gaurentee.
I have taken on learning the BG dance culture also and done a couple of disco's for our village,
With the brit bars you may get your travel expences but in my experience if you ask for over 100 lev for a full nights work, you may not get the gig.
Your main work time would be the summer catering for the holiday makers (The more mature age) and most of the BG venues have sound systems installed.
You could try the big holiday resorts, they may like a UK style disco

As for me.. now I just do village events mainly Bulgarian music) maybe once a month or so and the odd private function. But I have retired here so do not have to depend on the income, if any
Good luck, PM me if you want more info
Bill

millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:30 am

I agree with previous posters. As a one-off, you will probably get some work, but on a regular basis and hoping to make a living, I think maybe not. Certainly, Veliko Tarnovo seems very well catered for as far as clubs go, and the Bulgarian youngsters seem to pack these places, but I doubt whether they would be happy to have a Brit DJ joining them. Mostly the kids in and around VT are into rock and heavy metal.

Return to “Business Link”