Would there be work for an English mobile DJ in BG?

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

Songmaster2003

Postby Songmaster2003 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:01 am

Thanks for the responses everyone - it looks as though the odd gig will be possible now and then at least. I'm more than happy entertaining the more mature age group (I'm no spring chicken myself!) and Line dancers etc if that's the type of work that comes along as I would be in my comfort Zone! Might even throw in some Karaoke.......
Learning the BG favourites would be interesting though - always up for a challenge! :lol:

We haven't decided where in BG to live yet so this post was just a case of testing the water really. :)

oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:17 am

Living near Sunny Beach a lot of the bars and restaurants have Karaoke, so you would stand more of a chance to get summer work here, i.e 7 days a week, the down side to this is that property is much more expensive. Most bars pay 100lv per night for this work, but you have to remember that this is only for the summer season.

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:26 am

bulgariabill wrote:I have taken on learning the BG dance culture also and done a couple of disco's for our village... now I just do village events mainly Bulgarian music) maybe once a month or so and the odd private function...

I have to applaud you Bill, that seems like a great way to enrich the lives of local Bulgarians within their own traditions, rather than ramming Western pop culture down their throats (though that does seem to be well received by the younger townies).
No dissing you Songmaster2003. :D

Songmaster2003

Postby Songmaster2003 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:49 pm

houseman wrote:
bulgariabill wrote:I have taken on learning the BG dance culture also and done a couple of disco's for our village... now I just do village events mainly Bulgarian music) maybe once a month or so and the odd private function...

I have to applaud you Bill, that seems like a great way to enrich the lives of local Bulgarians within their own traditions, rather than ramming Western pop culture down their throats (though that does seem to be well received by the younger townies).
No dissing you Songmaster2003. :D

No offence taken matey - Being able to cater for Bulgarian as well as Brit clients would be a great advantage but it would take time to get into the Bulgarian groove! 8)

fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:57 pm

I agree with all that has been written afor me.

But I think wether we like it or not changes are a foot, Kaufland blasts out UK hits, so does Piccadilly and Central Mall, these must be frequented by more Bulgarians than any other nationality. We were in the City Bar or was it Pub in Veliko Turnovo, meeting a three some from UK who asked to meet up. Well you could not hear yourself think let alone have a conversation for live music, what was he signing Tom Jones Hits!!!

Liliana

Postby Liliana » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:27 pm

fredatinsch wrote:I agree with all that has been written afor me.

But I think wether we like it or not changes are a foot, Kaufland blasts out UK hits, so does Piccadilly and Central Mall, these must be frequented by more Bulgarians than any other nationality. We were in the City Bar or was it Pub in Veliko Turnovo, meeting a three some from UK who asked to meet up. Well you could not hear yourself think let alone have a conversation for live music, what was he signing Tom Jones Hits!!!

To be honest I love music.. I listen to Radio Enjoy all day and it improves my language a little. The youngsters here do prefer Lady Ga Ga, Beyonce, etc.. but why not. Then you have the upcoming Bulgarian recordists, Miro is superb!! Must get a CD sometime.

However, live music should be left to the youngsters apart from the Bulgarian 'live' music now that's where 'live' comes into it's own maybe? :lol:

Songmaster2003

Postby Songmaster2003 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:19 pm

There is some great music around these days and I like to keep up to date with chart music - but don't play 'Hardcore' or 'Rap' (missing a 'C' at the beginning IMHO!) as it really does my head in! I can appreciate the skill involved with Rap music but it just doesn't appeal to me as I like a decent melody line and prefer lyrics that don't involve every other word being an expletive - must be my age! :(

As for Beyonce,Lady Gaga,Rhihana and many of the contemporary acts - brilliant stuff and love playing it when called for.

If I'm to be honest,my own personal taste is for modern Country / line dance music but I was brought up on Country music from an early age when it was all about dead dogs and Bar room brawls - Huh - guess not much has changed except the music has much more of a rock flavour to it which suits me fine! :)

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:58 pm

I will be frank and tell you what you do NOT want to hear. You will not earn enough to eat.

Return to “Business Link”