Business in Burgas? Good Idea or Not...?

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

Sushi
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Business in Burgas? Good Idea or Not...?

Postby Sushi » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi all,recently i have been talking with a good friend of mine (who is Bulgarian) by the way,about going into business together in Burgas we hope, because it is his home town,and i like the city as well,it has a good feel,plus good oppurtunitys we both think,we are thinking along the lines of maybe retail,which is our background we have both run businesses before,or maybe a franchise,which is still relatively new here but growing...............my questions is this what do others feel about Burgas and the possiblitie of going into business there,i appreciate we are still in an economic slump,but we feel we have the experience and the ideas to make it work.All feedback appreciated.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:38 pm

Burgas certainly seems more prosperous than many other towns in Bulgaria. My concern about starting any business in Bulgaria would be dealing with the shady characters who dominate the economy. From insurance companies down to retail distribution you need "Vruski" (contacts) with the shady characters who run things. "Tova e nashe delo" (Ecco la - cosa nostra!)

Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:10 pm

Maybe all the rest of the British run businesses in Bulgaria can describe how they deal with the shady characters who run things,that will help.

Pelican
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pelican » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:24 pm

We've been running a guesthouse in the North East of Bulgaria for over four years and have had no dealings whatsoever with any 'shady characters', apart from one guy I met for lunch in Silistra a couple of years ago, How are you by the way Scot? :lol:

Maybe it is our location, maybe it is our line of work, I don't know but they have never bothered us.

Burgas is a very nice city with a lively atmosphere, I'm sure there are opportunities for successful businesses if they are well planned.

Good luck to you.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:51 pm

Pelican. You are okay. I told my associates to leave you alone. "A harmless English eccentric," I said.

Spiralbg
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Spiralbg » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:03 pm

"vruski" is the last thing you need....maybe in the village, vruski is essential but in Bourgas, you will be fine.

If you have experience in the field of business that you plan to start and you have money to back up your idea, I say grab it with both hands and give it your best shot.
There is of course that small thought "what if" but you will never know until you try.

Have you tried any other business ideas in BG or is this your first?

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:04 pm

depends on what your selling..study the market, and bring or start up what you cant get in bg, but would appeal to the bulgarians..and if your offering a rakia or a coffee or both...i will pop in..but the gorilla will stay out in the car. :lol:

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Model Agency and Photograph Studio. Appeal to vanity and Kudos :D

brumski

Postby brumski » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:05 pm

sushi said "a good friend of mine who is bulgarian" i would make sure this "friend" had financial resources before i entered into partnership etc!.
good luck in burgas!! i think a gulet type (partynight) boatrips would be a winner in the summer months!!

brumski

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:51 am

Photography ? There wasa horror story in the Scottish press about a photographer from Largs or Ardrossan who tried to set up a business in BG. He was persuaded to give up by a number of mutri types.

Return to “Business Link”