Pasties & Pies

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

Is this a Good Idea

Poll ended at Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 28

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

pies

Postby truckyboy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:58 pm

I think most brits like a pie ( so does my british/bg wife ) but i really dont think this is a viable proposition, as great as it may sound. The delivery would take your profits, and who would stock a months worth of pies ?
Peters, a well known pie maker is already selling in bg, although i havnt seen them yet. I would suggest if you have a home here, to make them, offer them at some fair, or visit restaurants in the tourist areas, as a working holiday..what you have to remember is what to do when the tourists go home, for i dont believe you can sustain a business like that on a summer season, without additional income or things to sell..i will however wish you luck and all the best, and dont forget to bring the daddies sauce, and mushy peas. :lol: :lol: MMmmm

steven1404

Postby steven1404 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:21 pm

i for one would love a good pie i have tried bulgarian food plenty off times and there is just no consistency to it what was a good meal at a restaurant the day before is crap the next day and yes i have been to happys in sofia and it is overpriced and on my visits there it has always been busy but the chinese restaurant i went to there was just me and my partner in it.
on my next visit to bg in a weeks time i wil be paying a visit to veselo selo in plovdiv as i have been told that that is always full off local bulgarians for the meal and floor show.
and when i eventually open the old coach house i will be having a dual food menu so cater for bulgarians and tourists and be a smaller version of veselo selo so yes give me a good pie

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:45 pm

steven1404 wrote:and there is just no consistency to it what was a good meal at a restaurant the day before is crap the next day

Hi Steven1404!

I apologise in advance and readily acknowledge it's /possibly/most likely/assuredly completely off-topic but....

Isn't everything that we eat cr*p the next day?...

As to 'consistency', I believe this depends on your constitution, or maybe even on your constitutional.... :lol:

steven1404

Postby steven1404 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:00 pm

mememe there is nothing wrong with my constitution etc and you tell me where the consistency off the food cooked and served has been the same day after day as i have never found one restaurant where it has been on my last visit i ordered a bacon starter and it was just a pease off fat served on the plate and it might have seen the grill for 30 seconds i could not eat it

skaviva
<b>Language Tutor/Translations</b>

Postby skaviva » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:01 pm

spantrout wrote:then again he may just find bulgarians don't eat pies!!!!

You have no idea what rubbish our kids eat! If you visit the tuckshops around schools or in the schools, you will be really disgusted at the half-baked mounds of dough and the so-called "pizzaz".

I would love to be able to buy British style pies and pasties here.

mememe
Super User!
Super User!

Postby mememe » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi again Steven,

My previous post was 'a joke' - but perhaps you missed it... :(

steven1404

Postby steven1404 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:28 pm

mememe i took it as a joke mem but at least i will loose a few pounds around my gut when i am there next week what with there food and hacking the render off the house lol

Masterbutcher
<b>British/Speciality Food Supplier</b>

Postby Masterbutcher » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:21 pm

If your still watching this PiemanBG, I have wanted to add a few comments but things wandered a bit.

First, you show me what you can do, come up to scratch, and I will give you an ongoing order for pies to the tune of 50% of what we already import from the UK. That will earn you a living.

We currently sell Hollands as a mid range and Toppings as high end, see www.britishfoodsbg.com for our current range.

You will have a whole range of problems which I have had personal experience of. First, licencing a food premises is far from easy here, a 'cottage industry' as we would know it in the UK is far more difficult to achieve.

Accountancy rules are very different, petty and time consuming.

Environmental Health officials don't behave as we are used to, if you want to do something that's not 'in the book' they can't work it out. The problems we had getting an approved HACCP for 21 day matured british beef preparation were unbelievable. They don't understand beef as we know it, so it's not in the book. I wonder if you may encounter a similar problem, however, you may fall into exisiting categories. You have to remember that you are still dealing with a communist system trying to work in a free market. Problem is it does not always work.

Looking at your proposed list of products I would say you have a supply problem as well. Beef and other products you would either have to import or buy through the likes of myself.

If you import, you would have to be VAT registered here in Bulgaria if you import more than 20,000 levs worth of goods in any one year (That's why I can't understand how some suppliers of British products are not charging VAT, if your importing less than about £8000 worth a year, you CAN'T make a living, and don't think you can cheat, most exporters in the UK, my UK business included, complete Intrastat which eventually filters through to Bulgarian VAT man). Otherwise it's 70,000 levs worth of sales before you need to be VAT registered. VAT as you know is 20% here, so that's another consideration. If it costs a pound in Britain (food wise) it will cost £1.20 here without any import costs.

I'm not trying to put the brakes on your idea, but, be aware of what it will mean. Having said that, I will support you if the product is GOOD.

My advice in a nutshell, do your research with your local authorities, cost your idea properly, do not try and cut corners, if you go ahead employ a good accountant and wholesale don't retail because your product is too specific.

And by the way, Bulgarians do eat pies. My neighbours love them, and a good percentage of our Bulgarian customers buy them.

I sincerely wish you the best, email me through the website if I can be of assistance.

bagpuss
Super User!
Super User!

Pies

Postby bagpuss » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:12 pm

I love pies aswell :lol: :lol: :lol:
regards B.

Return to “Business Link”