Pasties & Pies

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

Is this a Good Idea

Poll ended at Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 28

Candyfrank

Postby Candyfrank » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:53 pm

houseman wrote:
Candyfrank wrote:If any business was easy then everybody would be doing it. Don’t worry about the MYBG pessimists but take heed of some of the good advice given so far. “Nothing venture – Nothing gained”.

So you'd be happy to back this financially with your own money, eh? :wink:

It is not my type of business, but if the Pieman linked up with successful British food suppliers here in BG and he bought all the ingredients from them; then surely those suppliers would promote his product.
One thing I am sure is that I would not invest money, if I had any, to invest in your type of venture unless you was catering for the Russians etc. even then I would think twice. Is there not an old saying ‘when you speaking you are not learning’ does that not also apply that when you writing you are not learning??
Yes the man has the odds against him, but it his venture and we should give all the best advice and help we can offer. Let the Pieman decide, as it is his money, and give him real advice that he is asking for.
Finally I am sure that investments should NOT be discussed in this topic and that it should be about his new venture…. PIES

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:20 pm

IMHO the only true test of a person's confidence in a venture is to ask that person if s/he would back it with their own money. It is revealing how many people who are ready to encourage other people to take risks back off when invited to put their money where their mouths are.
I was not getting at anyone in particular, and yes it is possible to learn whilst writing. I spent many years at university (as did countless others) doing just that!

1abroad

Postby 1abroad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:45 am

' and for those reasons Im out ' :D

PosabinaPete

Postby PosabinaPete » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:52 am

That's from the grumpy women.
As for me I think it is a good idea and maybe you should look at a stall at your local market, but for me to invest my childrens inheritance I am sorry I'm out.

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:53 am

I think a truer test would not be a cash injection rather would you do a Gummer and feed your daughter the pies.
I have never backed anyone else in business nor gone into partnership and I do not think I ever would. As for myself I have had two successful start up business in the uk without backing or partners (apart from my life partner)
I do not wish to turn this thread into Bulgarian business Start up 101, rather give the guy some encouragement, all over this forum there are doom and gloom tales of failure and yes the failure rate is about the same as the perceived rate of Manchester United youth team player but Hey you can earn a good living in the conference league in the U.K.

I do not know if pieman hopes to become the Ivan Ginster of Bulgaria but it looks to me like he is at the beginning of his research and I think of a similar post on the equivalent of the Italian version of this forum some years ago when the question was asked "I am thinking of moving to Bulgaria and making piszzas" and the responses that would draw. "Red tape, Maffia, Dogs, donkeys, cess pits, too hot or cold and to top it all Bulgarians will never eat it. :D

Candyfrank

Postby Candyfrank » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 am

theweeton wrote:I think a truer test would not be a cash injection rather would you do a Gummer and feed your daughter the pies.
I have never backed anyone else in business nor gone into partnership and I do not think I ever would. As for myself I have had two successful start up business in the uk without backing or partners (apart from my life partner)
I do not wish to turn this thread into Bulgarian business Start up 101, rather give the guy some encouragement, all over this forum there are doom and gloom tales of failure and yes the failure rate is about the same as the perceived rate of Manchester United youth team player but Hey you can earn a good living in the conference league in the U.K.

I do not know if pieman hopes to become the Ivan Ginster of Bulgaria but it looks to me like he is at the beginning of his research and I think of a similar post on the equivalent of the Italian version of this forum some years ago when the question was asked "I am thinking of moving to Bulgaria and making piszzas" and the responses that would draw. "Red tape, Maffia, Dogs, donkeys, cess pits, too hot or cold and to top it all Bulgarians will never eat it. :D

You as good as took the words out of my mouth and 100% agree with your quote. I had several small businesses though out my life (now 69 and comfortably retired), some successful, some complete failures. All is a learning curve.

Lets continue to encourage young entrepreneurs and give them our constructive advice. If one is following the Master Butchers thread, 40% of his business is with Bulgarians, so could be the same for the Pieman.

Once the Pieman completes his market research, studied Bulgarian legislation, made a proper business plan and a cash flow he may find investors or jest a possible EU Grant.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:54 am

then again he may just find bulgarians don't eat pies!!!!

lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:59 am

spantrout wrote:then again he may just find bulgarians don't eat pies!!!!

They do eat pizzas though! :lol:

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:12 am

spantrout wrote:then again he may just find bulgarians don't eat pies!!!!

Yes, that seems to be how it is at the moment; one of Pieman's problems is going to be introducing a new product range into an untested market.
I am all for encouraging entrepreneurs, but wouldn't encourage anyone to risk their money where I wouldn't risk mine.
BTW all the business plans and cashflow forecasts are not worth diddly squat if the market doesn't live up to your expectations.
Listen to the pessimists, listen to the optimists, but take much more notice of the realists (not me, the market!)

shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Pies

Postby shebry » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:55 am

Pieman
In theory I think you have a wonderful idea and hand on heart I wish you all the very best if you go ahead with your proposed venture
In practice I think you will be fighting an uphill battle because I would suggest that there are not enough expats in Bulgaria to make it a viable business proposition
If you are considering a manufacturing/distributing/wholesale business and can supply in bulk to places like Metro I would say you would have more chance of survival and making a living, to what standard of living I must admit I haven't a clue
As one poster has commented, you do see Bulgarians buying and even eating pizza walking down the street but to get those same Bulgarians to buy one of the exclusive range of delicious pies I think they will need educating first, and that could take a long time
I have been to many European Countries for holiday's over the last 50 years and I can honestly say I don't think I can recall ever seeing pies on a printed menu, many Brit's on holiday they would love to see pie and chips on the menu, so I have to ask the question, would that have the same appeal to Bulgarian's, I would like to think YES but I am not sure

Pieman if you proceed with your proposed venture may I wish you all the luck in the world but please think long and hard before you jump, I personally don't like to see genuine business people with ambition get their fingers burnt. Been there, done that and got the "T" shirt 8)

Return to “Business Link”