Pasties & Pies

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

Is this a Good Idea

Poll ended at Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 28

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Yep listen to the market, did Richard Branson do that when he formed virgin records and took the plunge with an instrumental album preformed by an unknown :?:
To say Bulgrainas do not eat pies is not exactly true try reading some bulgarian cooking forums (I will admit that improvement is needed with their baking tequniques ).
We took a Gala pork pie along to the Trifonovden celebrations a few years ago It did not take long for our friends to munch their way through the whole 3.5lbs the only thing that slowed them down was the Colemans.

Nobody is forcing pieman to chuck his hard earned away thats his decision hopefully after a lot of research.

I hope my posts encourage this research and he does not give up after a poll of crusty people and becomes a pioneer :D

Driller

Postby Driller » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Having had Bulgarians working and living with me in the uk i had to cook for them...pies and pasties they dont have the palet for....pizzas and kfc they do.....they are used to and bought on a different diet ...simple as

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:53 pm

We took a Gala pork pie along to the Trifonovden celebrations a few years ago It did not take long for our friends to munch their way through the whole 3.5lbs the only thing that slowed them down was the Colemans.

it's not that Bulgarians won't eat pies (many of them won't), i know lots of Bulgarians that eat a lot of things the bulk of Bulgarians wouldn't know what to do with. e.g. Malt vinegar, salt and vinegar crisps, a hot curry!!! But in fairness giving bulgarians something for free to try/eat is not the same as getting them to buy it. And I fear that will be the biggest problem. And in fairness if pieman does his research correctly he will find that out by himself.

Think this way, give a Bulgarian the choice of a meat pie (any flavour you want) for 1 person at 3lv or a Banitza for the whole family (lets say 4 ppl) for 5lv then the chances are that 99.9% of the time they will choose banitza. Financial constraints are a big (if not the biggest) consideration of many BG families.

shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby shebry » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:39 pm

theweeton wrote:Yep listen to the market, did Richard Branson do that when he formed virgin records and took the plunge with an instrumental album preformed by an unknown :?:
To say Bulgrainas do not eat pies is not exactly true try reading some bulgarian cooking forums (I will admit that improvement is needed with their baking tequniques ).

Nobody is forcing pieman to chuck his hard earned away thats his decision hopefully after a lot of research.

I hope my posts encourage this research and he does not give up after a poll of crusty people and becomes a pioneer :D

To say Bulgarians do not eat pies is not exactly true. I agree but they will only know what you are talking about if you refer to it as Banitsa, they wouldn't have a clue what to say or do if they were offered a pie with a puff pastry or short crust topping. I have just Google searched for pies in Bulgaria and all it comes up with is Banitsa products
This little story is a bit off topic but I would like to share it with the forum as it relates to educating the Bulgarian's to western style food
In November my Wife and I went to our Villa and we invited a young married couple (they sold us the villa 4 years ago) to spend the night with us and sample some British cuisine. We left Britain with a rib of Scottish beef. pot of horseradish, plain flour, so we gave them a traditional Sunday Roast of beef, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes cauliflower, leeks, carrots and gravy. Under normal Bulgarian eating habits we would probably have been eating that all evening, but not on this occasion they scoffed it all very quickly and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have since had an email which said, quote:- if it is not to rude to ask, when can we come back for another Sunday Roast
Back to the topic, this is what I mean by saying that if hot pies were introduced the Bulgarians would need educating to make it a viable proposition and that could take a long time

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:48 pm

We left Britain with a rib of Scottish beef. pot of horseradish, plain flour, so we gave them a traditional Sunday Roast of beef, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes cauliflower, leeks, carrots and gravy. Under normal Bulgarian eating habits we would probably have been eating that all evening, but not on this occasion they scoffed it all very quickly and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have since had an email which said, quote:- if it is not to rude to ask, when can we come back for another Sunday Roast

The Quote is another example of BG's eating something for free, but GETTING THEM TO BUY IT may prove to be another proposition

shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby shebry » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:16 pm

Pieman
You have missed the boat today, you should have been making and baking HAGGIS pie for all to consume in Bulgaria
Happy haggis day to everybody all over the world who will be celebrating Rabbie Burns birthday with a traditional meal and a wee dram and sorry could not find any bagpipes :rock: :rock: :rock:

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:15 pm

and you know what, Bulgarians will eat haggis more readily than pies!!!!!!!!!!!! (because they are more used to eating offal) I have tried it on various neighbours and family members, but my point remains, get them to go out and buy it and u have a problem

theweeton
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby theweeton » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:48 pm

spantrout wrote: but my point remains, get them to go out and buy it and u have a problem

Yes I admit many Bulgarians love a free meal but you have to admit that there are many successful high class restaurants charging what to the average Bulgarian is mega leva and making a healthy profit.

Even an organization like Happys can get away with charging many times over village prices for a coffee and coke and I do not see them shutting their doors.

I wonder why so many Bulgarians drive round in BMWs, top of the range Cryslers and other expensive motors whats wrong with a vaz,lada and trabant.

Try to open your eyes Bulgaria is part of the E.U. and with a well though out and researched plan anything goes. And for those who think all in villages are poor check under their beds many of them just act poor.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:35 pm

Yes I admit many Bulgarians love a free meal but you have to admit that there are many successful high class restaurants charging what to the average Bulgarian is mega leva and making a healthy profit.

Even an organization like Happys can get away with charging many times over village prices for a coffee and coke and I do not see them shutting their doors.

I wonder why so many Bulgarians drive round in BMWs, top of the range Cryslers and other expensive motors

How many high class restaurants are full on weekends?

Happy's get away with it cos they are a tourist's dream! (or should i say tourists are Happy's dream!!!)

As for the cars, this has been a bone of contention for a few years, either mafia or bought on the never never to impress the neighbours! I guess I have to admit there are a few genuine car owners out there. (but if they drive BMW then chances are they are di*ks)

I'm not bothered either way, it's not my money, go ahead see what happens.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:37 pm

A well thought out plan is one thing, changing the tastebuds of a nation is another!!! And the spending habits.

Return to “Business Link”