BOOKS (in English) Advice needed

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

eureka
Super User!
Super User!

BOOKS (in English) Advice needed

Postby eureka » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi everyone.

I need some advice from the avid readers among us.

A friend is moving to the Dobrich area of Bulgaria soon. She has a huge selection of new and "nearly new" books/novels etc. She was going to get rid of them before her move, but as they are mostly new books she is now thinking of bringing them over with her.

She is thinking of selling them at car boot sales/table-top sales at the weekends. This won't be a big business venture or anything like that... More like a hobby where she can also pick up a few Leva for a few hours each weekend, and keep herself busy for a while.

Can anyone help with constructive advice on whether this seems like a good idea. And the kind of price range that other books are selling for at the boot sales.

I look forward to your helpful and constructive advice.

bgcarl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby bgcarl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:34 pm

As a Dobrich resident, I usually get my English language books from the Silistra Orphanage Open days. Prices vary from 1 - 5 leva. I for one would definitely interested in a new local supply, I do get through a few.

Cheers

BGCarl

PS. Don't worry the Orphanage will still get my support!

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:32 am

Hi all,

This thread is not a place to post ads for specific bookshops, car boots sales or table top sales.

Thanks

Mod 8)

1abroad

Postby 1abroad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:38 am

A library would be good. Rent the books out.

fredatinsch
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby fredatinsch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:50 am

I think it is a good idea for your friend to earn a few lev, meet people and get her out of the house for a few hours. She should be selective where she travels to, we are pretty much covered in the VT area.

So long as she is helpful and has an out going pleasent personality like our local Book Shop come Car Booter she will be successful.

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:57 am

What I always tell people that are considering whether or not to bring things from the UK when they move here…..

If you are in doubt, work out how much it is going to cost you to bring it and then decide. Prices may have changed but, almost three years ago, it cost us about £2000 to have our goods brought here, door to door. That was a 32 cu m truck and, if you assume a nominal 30 cu m (it may be less given the fact that there are gaps all over the place) a cubic metre cost us £66.66.

At that rate…
an example paperback, 18 cm x 11 cm x 3 cm would cost under 4p
an example hardback, 16 cm x 24 cm x 3.5 cm would cost under 9p

With those two examples, 1000 average books would be less than a cubic metre.

Even if the nominal volume were 20 cu m, then the cost per item would only be 50% more. 1000 books for £100 worth of space. Sell them for 1 leva each and you've made £300 profit (not counting the cost of the book in the first place).

We brought all our books and are glad that we did. If you buy one from Amazon, for example, it can sometimes cost more to ship it than the cost of the book. Not only that, the cost of the book will be inflated by VAT as it is coming here, where there is a 20% tax on books.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:33 am

She will not make a lot but it might be worth trying. Another outelt is to approach the stalls where people sell second-hand books - mainly in Bulgaria. Give them a dozen title on a sale or return basis and see what happens. Titles in English at 2-5 lerva a pop will sell, if you get the right titles. The market is s not only for "New Bulgarians" but also for the large number of students etc who are learning are have learned English.

mastylo
<b>Language Tutor</b>

Postby mastylo » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:11 pm

She can publish free ads here:
http://knizhen-pazar.net/index.php?lang ... 0%BA%D0%B8
That`s the biggest Bulgarian website for second-hand books.
Also, I bet universities might be interested in buying all her books.

eureka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eureka » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks everyone for all the excellent replies.

I've passed on this advice to my friend.
She has more than 100 new and 'nearly new' hardback and paperback novels/thrillers etc., so it may well be worth her while to take them to Bg with her if she can sell them for a fair price..

The one thing that is of some concern is the 20% VAT rate that has been mentioned. As they are mostly new, they may attract the attention of customs on the way over, and an unexpected bill.

kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Um....I doubt it. As an EU citizen she's entitled to bring personal belongings here if she's coming to live. 100 books sounds like a lot but actually if you're an avid reader bringing 100 english books to Bulgaria isn't such a big thing.
In the bad old days of pre EU we had to sign a form promising not to sell anything brought over as personal belongings within 3 years; that's no longer an issue.
Once she's here, selling personal belongings is a right (I think, someone may tell me or us differently). I guess your friend will read most of the books before selling them?!
VAT on imports.....only applies if you bring more than 20 000 lv worth of goods for resale within 12 months. Otherwise it's considered that the VAT has been paid in the country in which the goods were purchased. The fact that books are rated at 0% in the UK isn't an issue unless your friend exceeds the 20 000 lev.

Return to “Business Link”