Business idea - Food/drink products from UK?

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

jadamwilliams
<b>Transport Services/Translations</b>

Postby jadamwilliams » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:10 pm

Have been thinking about bringing food/ drinks products over from the UK for a while - with either delivery service and/or pick up point - just most popular products to start with but no overheads of a shop, to try and keep prices down.
Making regular trips back (once a month) would also be possibility of ordering stuff - if prepared to wait max of 1 month - would much appreciate any feedback and interested to know what people would most like to buy (if at all!) - also sourcing local products in bulk to repackage in smaller quantities that may be of interest...

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:48 pm

sokoni in varna already offer this service

Anni
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Anni » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:07 pm

I was driving down a local street here in the UK yesterday and saw another Polish corner shop had opened.

Have you considered taking BG goods to the UK for small shops? I am only aware of quite a few Bulgarians in the Lincolnshire area working the farms though.

jadamwilliams

Postby jadamwilliams » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:13 pm

yes I am aware of Sokoni - but as far as I know, even though they have a good range of products, dont offer a service to pick stuff up from any major supermarket including own label products. thanks for your input

jadamwilliams

Postby jadamwilliams » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Have you considered taking BG goods to the UK for small shops?
Yes I have thought about that - we have a wonderful range of first class food products here in BG - but being based at this end makes distribution/marketing difficult - I would be happy to bring stuff over if anyone is interested in buying/ordering reasonable quantities at the UK end. I have advertised on a London based Bulgarian language nespaper (BG BEN) -with no response - There is a big supermarket in Leyton, E.London whos have a wide range of Bulgarian products but is mainly confectionary, pickles and alcohol.. and their prices are very competetive.
thanks a lot for your suggestion.

shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby shebry » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:28 pm

Anni wrote:I was driving down a local street here in the UK yesterday and saw another Polish corner shop had opened.

Have you considered taking BG goods to the UK for small shops? I am only aware of quite a few Bulgarians in the Lincolnshire area working the farms though.

Where I live the town has a population of 55,000 of which approx 3000 are Polish, I am told all legally here working for a reasonable living

I might be wrong but I don't think there would be 3000 Bulgarians living in our largest cities, legally or illegally. Any way what do you think would sell in this country perhaps banitsa, walnuts, honey, sunflower oil etc :) 8)
I nearly forgot the RECKIA, I meant RAKIA :lol:

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:35 pm

yes I am aware of Sokoni - but as far as I know, even though they have a good range of products, dont offer a service to pick stuff up from any major supermarket including own label products. thanks for your input

the woman that runs sokoni will get whatever you want from wherever you want from the uk if you order it, and they offer free delivery on any order over 50lv. thanks for your input

seathrift
Super User!
Super User!

Postby seathrift » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:12 pm

I think you need to test your market very carefully. It sounds a good idea but from my experience of seven years living in Mallorca, where there is a much larger British population, it is very difficult to make a worthwhile living selling British foodstuffs.
In BG for the most part the expats. are distributed all over the country and and groups like in Yambol, are still relatively small in number. The problem of distance becomes significant. Then there are those who are quite happy with eating BG food, which in my area is the majority. There are a number of people selling British foodstuffs already. Based on what happened in Mallorca if a product really became popular, in significant numbers, then the local supermarkets started to sell it, much more cheaply than a small organization could ever hope to equal. Finally it may be necessary to comply with the BG Health and Hygiene rules, about which I know nothing.

millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:24 pm

Hate to put a damper on the idea, but I have to agree with Seathrift. I have known many people who have already tried doing this, and failed. There are also many Brit people currently in BG trying to do the same thing, and I really don't see how it would be profitable enough to run a business, given the distance, cost of fuel etc. As Seathrift pointed out, the supermarkets such as Kaufland soon catch on to what Brits want, and already sell things like Heinz Ketchup, HP Brown sauce, Seriously Strong cheddar etc. Whilst some would be prepared to pay more for British foods, the majority of Brits living in BG are on budgets and might find this difficult to do on a regular basis. Must admit that there were several foods that I missed a lot whilst living in BG, but would I have been prepared to pay more in BG for them than I would do in UK? Well, one or two maybe, but probably more as a 'treat' than anything else. Unless you have a large and regular client base, then I really can't see it being worthwhile or sustainable.

owain
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby owain » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:27 pm

Someone did start a similar venture, not sure how it's going:
http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39062&highlight=tesco

Return to “Business Link”