Business idea - Food/drink products from UK?

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

jadamwilliams
<b>Transport Services/Translations</b>

Postby jadamwilliams » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:32 pm

thanks Seathrift I will go away and do a bit more homework :oops: just aswell I didnt bring a van full of HP Sauce!! like i said is just an idea so any constructive critisism/ warnings is greaty appreciated - Adam

millomgirl
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby millomgirl » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Good luck! One other idea - a friend of mine suggested bringing over power tools, and said that everything he has bought has been rubbish, while anything decent costs 2-3 times what it does in GB. Just an idea....

construction_help

food

Postby construction_help » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi Adam

I do not think it would work as there are too many people doing the same thing, like someone said (sokoni in varna already offer this service) and others veliko, Dobrich and yambol. To be honest most people who have a delivery with a courier always bring things out for themselves or others at the same time. Also most couriers on here offer that service picking up fom asda, tesco etc etc

Maybe its a good idea as someone suggested power tools or in that line as it is rubbish here and old models for a high price. I know a bulgarian guy who has a deal with a company buying cheaper power tools he does all car boots/ markets full time and does really well selling power tools and hand tools (maybe worth thinking about) :wink:

Good luck in what you decide :wink:

jadamwilliams
<b>Transport Services/Translations</b>

Postby jadamwilliams » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:50 pm

thanks Millomgirl and Construction help for your thoughts. Have already tried the powertools and although it was somewhat succesful; when I go back to UK, cant afford to hang around too long looking for stuff like that. Just had the food idea cause its a one/two stop shop at Tesco/Asda in and out in a couple of hours and can do it just before get on ferry at Ashford/Dover etc and to fill the otherwise unused space.
Gravy granules anyone ? :lol:

booboo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby booboo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:20 am

And don't forget turnover, profit etc will have to be declared on your annual tax return, I would have thought this end, but if not a self assessment in the UK.

lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:30 am

owain wrote:Someone did start a similar venture, not sure how it's going:
http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39062&highlight=tesco

Jackie didn't go ahead with this as the costs were going to be prohibitive.

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:46 am

Might be good to compile a list of businesses who have been set up to do this with an indication of those that have stopped. It would be something to point newcomers at before they get too far involved..... 8O

Basically there are a few people who are managing to be successful one way or another in importing and selling food. There have been a lot more that tried it and stopped. There are fewer people now than there was who might be a market for it, so I doubt there is room for another startup. Most people who need things have enough visitors who can slip the odd packet or tin into their suitcase. My total overseas shopping list for the last year has been one tin of golden syrup, two bottles of ginger wine, one jar of marmite and a sudden desparate need for some Black treacle. :D Everything else I can get here.

conceptman

Postby conceptman » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:54 pm

how about distribution of ready to eat indian food ? will there be a market for it ?

Londonerbg

Postby Londonerbg » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Yes I think there is a market for it; good authentic.

However I think the transport costs will eat up all the profit; and that was before a barrel of crude reached $120.

The ex-pats are so spread out, that it makes no real sense, unless you are adding this product to an already established product range.

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:34 pm

I think at one point it would have been a great idea, for example amongst the few items i miss are the daddies sauce, a good strong cheddar, and heinz beans..i can now locate them in burgas ( french supermarket ) to name one, and i can ( i believe ) buy sausages and bacon uk style and hand made in the same area.
I am driving over this year so can stock up on a few of those items if need be, but i`m not too bothered as i can easily manage without.
I wish you luck with the venture, but do your research, and open up in burgas, or better still Pomorie where i live. :lol:

Return to “Business Link”