Warning: Be careful who you email!

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

Pascalcho

Postby Pascalcho » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:58 pm

wow.

Also check the laws on cookies.
Yes you might have a website and be guilty. Without having an idea what a cookie is and wheter your website uses it. I'm quite sure most of website owners don't know they actually should have a disclaimer on their site.

Europe is completely insane. Who makes up these things has totally no feeling with the industry. No feeling with anything at all actually.

magicvw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby magicvw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:14 am

Pascalcho, the list is not publicly available for obvious reasons. You have to check an email address you are already in possession of, and it will tell you that it's on the list. I input the email address we spammed, and got their record up. You can also download a free program which lets you check addresses in bulk.

Brian - I don't think you have to be special. Any company would be able to supply that info, or am I missing something? I agree that only a special kind of person would actually be bothered to do it though. I found a page yesterday while googling the KZP that said in 2009 there were only 40 addresses in the list.

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:48 am

Bad shot magic, who would have thought of only 40 people on the list, and 6 million people in BG, you had to pick one on the list. Probably more chance of winning the lottery.

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

spam e mails

Postby truckyboy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:24 pm

I can understand the reason you sent notification of your business, and i feel sorry for the fine you have received..BUT
The average joe is sick and tired of the amount of junk mail coming over the internet, and through our letter boxes. I spend a lot of my time deleting useless e.mails, and spam, and putting the letters into the reply paid envelopes ( torn up and address removed ) and sending them back where they belong.
I am pleased about the laws, but wish more companies could be fined, if they were traceable..maybe we could have a central office where this junk mail could be sent, and the fines could pay for the cost of tracing them.
Its also very annoying when your in the middle of doing something, the phone rings, and some idiot is trying to sell you something either you dont want, or could in fact buy locally. I always ask them how they knew i wanted ( whatever they are selling ) remind them their call is being recorded for training purposes, and for reporting them for cold calling which is also illegal...they soon hang up..

magicvw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby magicvw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:35 pm

truckyboy - I agree with you. But the answer to the problem of SPAM is not to prevent businesses from contacting each other. It's mad. You can't actually sign up on the No-Spam list as an individual, (despite the KZP being an agency for consumer rights - the consumer has no rights). You can only sign up if you are a registered company.

This company's email address is available all over the web. Every google result I got mentioned their email and physical address.

Personally I have had some really interesting, useful and profitable emails sent to me (my business) which I did not solicit. I think there should be a way to appeal this law as surely anyone with half a brain can figure out what is genuine spam or not?

brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:39 pm

magicvw wrote:truckyboy - I agree with you. But the answer to the problem of SPAM is not to prevent businesses from contacting each other. It's mad. You can't actually sign up on the No-Spam list as an individual, (despite the KZP being an agency for consumer rights - the consumer has no rights). You can only sign up if you are a registered company.

This company's email address is available all over the web. Every google result I got mentioned their email and physical address.

Personally I have had some really interesting, useful and profitable emails sent to me (my business) which I did not solicit. I think there should be a way to appeal this law as surely anyone with half a brain can figure out what is genuine spam or not?

Magic, what do you do when you reach the dizzy heights of 100 spam emails a day, non that you have opted in for but they have been sold company to company. According to the UK government, its costs UK business £6Billion a year in lost time as people spend on average taking half an hour to clear the crap out of their inboxes.

Would it be ok to post 100 junk mails through your letterbox every day ?

Pascalcho

Postby Pascalcho » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Sending a targeted mail is not spam. Tell this story to people from outside Europe and they will look at you if you are an alien from a very strange planet.

You do not ask to forbid billboards do you?
You do not ask to forbid commercials on tv, do you?

Spam is an organized crime group in most cases who laugh with idiots like those making these laws in Europe.
They laugh because the non spammers need to pay fines and they (the spammers) make money without even having to worry about a fine.
IF you don't want spam install decent anti-spam software or use a decent email provider. Or make filters in your current e-mail client etc.
Fining commercial messages to pay for the spam is not going to reduce spam.

The only effect this haves is a negative one on the economic climate in Europe.
Laws like this make that there is no hope for Europe.

IS it trendy in Europe to be the dumbest when proposing a law?

Like i said, look at the cookies part (and the disclaimer).
If they start checking websites for that section of the law they can fine 80% of websites in Europe.

Do they really want to destroy Europe or are they just the dumbest generation of politicians in the last 10.000 years?

Over regulated.
Soon you will be fined when your dog leaves his package next to the road, when you take an apple from a tree of whatever.
Completely insane.

Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:04 pm

Pascalcho wrote:Soon you will be fined when your dog leaves his package next to the road

This already happens in the UK. Nothing to do with Europe as far as I know.

Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:24 pm

Pascalcho wrote: when you take an apple from a tree of whatever.
Completely insane.

Almost 100% correct...but it's when you pick daffodils from a park. :D

magicvw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby magicvw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:17 pm

Brian - you get 100 a day in your inbox? I sometimes get more than 100 a day, but my email software effectively filters them out. I get max 2 or 3 a week that slip by the filters. I use Yahoo and they do a pretty good job (but a worse job at putting real emails in the spam folder!) and I also use Thunderbird which has excellent anti-spam filters and you can add as many of your own as you like. With modern email clients there is no need to be getting silly amounts of email every day.

These laws will not catch the real culprits. Not so long ago our email address was hacked (actually that's not the right term according to my hosting provider, but whatever), and we were getting bounced emails returned to us, which we had never sent. At one point there were hundreds a day. Apparently there is not much you can do about it, if it happens to you. They go away eventually. The spammers cloak the real email address and put yours instead. (When we first got notification of this fine, I assumed it would be one of these emails - it wasn't, they told us what the guilty email was about and it was our own.)

We got caught because we put our company name and address in the email. If you want to spam and not get caught, just use an anonymous type address and don't put your company address down!

Return to “Business Link”