plant nursery idea?

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

plant nursery idea?

Postby spantrout » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:55 am

Hiya,

I'm considering the idea of opening a plant nursery. Any thoughts welcome.

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:14 am

Dunno! My in-laws take their own cuttings and/or keep seeds from the previous year's crops, as do most Bulgarians with gardens. Many Brits either have neighbours who can help them out in the same way or aren't here often/long enough to look after seedlings/plants, water seeds etc.

There are a couple of nurseries near us but they seem to just have a few manky shrubs and no clients - I'm sure the two are connected but I don't know which causes which! :wink:

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:52 am

obviously to combat that I would be looking at products which are not particularly common to BG (yet suitable to grow here), everyone and their wife has access to the most common plants/fruits/veg etc and as you say take their own seeds/cuttings. That apart, most plants seem to come from Holland, which when BG has a good growing season I have never been able to work out why most plants/flowers are imported. Price may be one reason but minus transport costs it has to be possible to produce such plants here at a lower cost.

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:59 am

You'll also have the problem of whether people will want to buy varieties which grow large fruit etc but which, purely by chance of course :wink: , don't grow true from cuttings or the seeds of that fruit. I'm always very unhappy about this practice but I guess it makes sense from a seedsman's point of view - a business which only lasts one year isn't very attractive to the owner! :lol:

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:03 am

Fruit is not my main idea, house plants, decorative foliage is more where i'm thinking, for which i understand there may be a less than expansive market but there seem to be a thriving number of plant shops in varna, all of which carry primarily dutch products.

sandra2dogs

plants

Postby sandra2dogs » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:11 am

we found a great garden centre near stara zagora, 40 lev for 10 plants, its on the way back to Chirpan from Stara thro the the village of Ratkinica, turn left at the petrol station that dosent sell petrol the pumps are wrappred with plastic, & follow the road until you go over a bridge that goes to the right over the motorway, & just down there you will see it on the left go a little further on the road its on the right there's a sign, hes very helpful, sandra

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:15 am

i would be hoping to sell plant for less than 4 lv per/plant

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:23 am

In which part of Bulgaria are you thinking of doing this and what are the existing plant nurseries come garden centres in your area?

Just following threads on here, shows that there is a choice all the way from Stara Zagora, through Yambol and onto Burgas plus of course, you have the market stalls selling plants too. None of the ones that I have visited could be compared to UK garden centres in so far as, they're on the wet Sunday afternoon of place to go, where the kids can play and the parents mooch about and get a cup of coffee and some cake.

I think that the 'big' market is providing landscape planting for hotels, but that is my opinion. Just beware if trying to compete in the Dutch Flower Market that I strongly suspect that this is a Flathead Cartel business and another reason why the prices are always high and higher come the 8th March etc. I might be wrong though.

No harm in having a go though if you've got green fingers, enjoy doing something with plants and can earn a buck or two.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:36 am

The Varna region would be the initial market, and certainly in varna there is only really Erica (that I'm aware of) that is a true garden centre (or a close to one as you will get), then you have the efforts of Mr Bricolage and Praktiker and then going down to plant/flower shops and then plant/flower market stalls.

The idea of dressing hotels/office spaces is a good one, and in fact i know someone that does that in the UK for a living.

I would have no intention of making anything relating to what would be classed as a UK garden centre, merely a place to purchase unusual/rare/exotic plants at a reasonable price.

Competing with the dutch on cut flowers would have no appeal to me either ( I have worked in said greenhouses in said country (holland) and know the business, and costs related in setting up a suitably sized greenhouse (roughly £1 million in 1992)), slightly out of my budget at the moment!

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi seedy, i'm not sure what u mean by this
You'll also have the problem of whether people will want to buy varieties which grow large fruit etc but which, purely by chance of course , don't grow true from cuttings or the seeds of that fruit.

if you take cuttings from an F1 hybrid (for example) that cutting will grow true because it's a clone (genetically identical) but if you allow an F1 hybrid to flower and seed, you will never get an identical plant from seed because it will revert to an F2 hybrid. Simply put this means that an F1 has the mixed genes of both the mother and father plant, but an F2 will revert to a single genetic code of the mother /father but not both)

Return to “Business Link”