plant nursery idea?

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

charlieboy

Postby charlieboy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:14 pm

I tend to agree with Seedy about cuttings and swapping seeds/plants with neighbours or friends. I think you'd need to be near a far sized town to try to attract clients. But of course you are up against the many DIY stores opening up in many places.
As for Varna, I'm guessing, but maybe they thrive by the sheer number of hotels in the area that use plants in their foyers or terraces.

varnajohn
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

plant centre

Postby varnajohn » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:58 am

hi im a keen gardener and aways looking for plants for my garden in all areas there is a lack of good perianal plants here to buy most places just sell annuals which for me is a waste of money as you got to buy them every year so I think there is a need for a good supply of perianal plants and your idea is a good one.

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: plant centre

Postby Seedy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:10 pm

varnajohn wrote:in all areas there is a lack of good perianal plants here to buy

Yeah, I believe most Bulgarians don't really take a long-term view on gardening - but I'm sure perianal planting will catch on one day.

Moscow_Wolf
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Moscow_Wolf » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:22 pm

I guess this is what happens if you fall backwards on your spade stave. I could imagine it might be quite sore, but there again, some perianal gardeners might enjoy it. :roll:

Simonita
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Simonita » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Some good points already made, but a couple of thoughts from me:

1) Bear in mind that a lot of UK garden centre "staples" grow wild in BG, so would have little market. Examples are hellebores, muscari, nano-gladioli and many others. Our neighbour pulled out and binned a piece of thyme that I was trying to cultivate on the grounds that it was "everywhere", so why would anyone want it in their garden?

2) Watch out for the seeds/cuttings that you intend to use. I have had very little luck with seeds brought from the UK, even things like aubretia which normally go like wildfire. One reason why Bulgarians tend to save and share seeds may be that these are the only ones that work!

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Perianal ?

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm assuming/hoping that was a horrible spelling mistake.

pollypepper

plant nursery

Postby pollypepper » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Have you thought about a online Nursery. Why I saying this is that a friend was thinking about ordering from the UK.In my village in spring a van comes around selling Tomato plants etc
I think some of the prices asked in Big DIY places are high
Good luck

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:14 pm

yes it would be both physical and virtual

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Spantrout said…
in varna there is only really Erica (that I'm aware of) that is a true garden centre

If you search for “garden centre” in the BG yellow pages http://www.goldenpages.bg/en you’ll find nine (other than 2x Mr Bricolages) listed in Varna and if you check http://www.need.bg/en for “garden center” they list four.

Paste градински центрове варна into http://www.google.bg and, apart from the regular links, it comes up with an A-G list (extended to A-J) of them marked on a map.

If you aren’t aware, Erika has a large garden center, apart from their “in-town” shop (between highways 2 and A2) on the old Sofia road (highway 2), on the way to Devnya, just prior to the Побити камъни. In fact, there are several garden centers out on that road.

Return to “Business Link”