plant nursery idea?

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 pm

anymore ideas of plants people would buy?

Inge

Postby Inge » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:18 pm

I am not sure what sort of grapes would grow in Bulgaria, but most wines seem to be dry, so maybe you could sell grapevines that produce sweeter or fruity wines , like Niersteiner for example
Old English apple and pear varieties may go down well - since they are disappearing from the UK we could start a revival here
In time, mabe you could branch out into small greenhouses or polytunnels or cold frames. - or selling kits for them

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

chillies and tomatoes, which ones for you?

Postby spantrout » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:28 pm

As a follow on to my OP I have been looking into uk/rare/exotic/unusual chillies and tomatoes, below is a selection of 10 each.

My question is, which if any would you buy as seed/seedling/plants

Tomatoes:-

Ailsa Craig (UK)

Alicante (UK)

Blood Butcher

Cherokee Purple (Cherokee Indian heirloom pre 1890)

Currant Red (currant sized tomatoes)

Ildi (grape sized tomatoes)

Moneymaker (UK)

Purple Russian (Ukranian heirloom)

Thai Pink Egg

Black Sea Man (Russian)

Chillies:-

BHUT Jolokia Ghost Chilli (scoville scale 1,001,304)

Chilli Cayenne Long Purple (sco 30-50,000)

Chilli Giant Thai Hot (sco 6000)

Habanero Carribean Red (sco 450,000)

Habanero Orange (sco 200-300,000)

Jalapeno Early (mild)

Navaho (semi hot)

Scotch Bonnet Red (sco 100-300,000)

Scotch Bonnet Yellow (sco 100-300,000)

Takanotsume (Hawk Claw Chilli) (very hot)

juliea

Postby juliea » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Ailsa Craig, Alicante and Moneymaker wouldn't interest me, they are standard allotment varieties for 70+ old men. Far better varieties are freely available in Bg.

Ildi works well here, nice and sweet and abundant crop.

I have also grown the heirloom Tigrella which is ok but not great.

The small Sungold is unbeatable and gardeners delight work well here.

I have to say for Toms, I find nearly everything is available here if not locally in the shops then from the Agro/Seed Fair, including black and purple.

From my experience Bulgarians are not interested in small varieties. For me you simply cannot beat the variety Rila which is widely available as seed or plant.

Chillies, no idea, one or two plants are enough for my needs and I buy them at the market.

I would like to see some unusual/exotic bedding plants, basic Busy Lizzies and Marigolds, 10 for 7.99 leva at Bric is crazy. Would need to be unusual and unobtainable here.
Last edited by juliea on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:42 am

If you can cater to the local market and not to just to BG Newbies from the Uk you might be onto something - but I am not sure a Britsih-style "Garden Centre" is the way to go.

Nice to see someone who is thinking beyond Real Estate, running a pub or selling Marmite to fellow-Brits !
Last edited by scot47 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:24 am

The idea is not to be a UK style garden centre, just a nursery that can undercut the seemingly very expensive plants available in BG

fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi

I think the idea of an English style garden centre could be a goer. It would depend a lot on the location.

I suggested as much to a Bulgarian friend of mine some time ago, he said that he thought I was crazy. He rang me a while ago to tell me that someone drove an articulated truck full of plants into Shabla and sold it all in one day.

It would take a long time to build a business though.

Another way to go would be growing in Bulgaria for the UK market, very long term but could be a worthwhile venture me thinks.

Correction: Seedy said earlier that a fruit tree would not grow true from a cutting, not so. A cutting is a clone, a genetic replica of the parent material and so therefore exactly the same in every way. This is why we produce plants from cuttings.

Cheers Fred.

Brummer

Garden Centre?

Postby Brummer » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:55 pm

Well, I would buy a Bramley apple tree.

:lol:

spantrout
Super User!
Super User!

Postby spantrout » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Fred wrote
Correction: Seedy said earlier that a fruit tree would not grow true from a cutting, not so. A cutting is a clone, a genetic replica of the parent material and so therefore exactly the same in every way. This is why we produce plants from cuttings.

I'm not sure you are 100% correct Fred. My understanding is that if the fruit tree had previously been grafted then the possibility remains that the cutting will not be true.

I'm open to correction on this.

fred
Super User!
Super User!

Postby fred » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:19 am

Hi

The rootstock mearly dictates the eventual size or cold hardiness of the tree, for example an m26 rootstock will give you a medium sized tree up to 3m tall.

An apple tree will be what ever variety you choose to grow, grafting your plant onto a rootstock means that you can choose how big you want the tree to grow or how cold hardy you need it to be.

If you take a cutting above the graft union it will be an exact clone of the parent plant.

For a full explanation of how rootstocks benefit the grower follow the link.

http://www.orangepippin.com/articles/apple-rootstocks

A cutting, be it a soft wood, semi ripe or hard wood cutting will always be a clone of the parent.

Cheers Fred.

Return to “Business Link”