Mafia

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

jazura2
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Re: Jewish?

Postby jazura2 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:59 pm

Thanks for going public on how ignorant you are.
Most names that end in ski are Russian or Polish!
Take you prejudices off this very useful site.

charlie23

Postby charlie23 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:43 am

In my experience, Bulgarians generally refer to anyone with a lot of money & a lot of business ties as "Mafia". These people may or may not be involved in anything illegal.
I've met several people here who I'd been warned were "mafia", in fact they are nothing more than entrepreneurs who got into the investment scene early, then turned their profits back into the company so that they now have extensive holdings. They drive expensive cars and travel with bodyguards like wealthy people in any country but they aren't involved in anything (drugs, prostitution, illegal gambling, .etc) that would generally be associated with the actual mafia.
There are bad guys here just like everywhere else of course, but use your head and not just your ears ;)

penbat
Super User!
Super User!

Postby penbat » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:19 am

Ken wrote:mall villages.

My daughter says prices for property will continue to increase as before. I am very skeptical.

I would buy in BG country village as somewhere to live not as an investment. I wouldnt care about it increasing in value. In fact it would be refreshing to not be part of a property bubble.

islavision
Super User!
Super User!

Postby islavision » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:17 pm

I agree Penbat, Bulgarian Villages are to live in not exploit.

investment in Morocco looks promising though! Sun Sea and new up and coming tourist destinations and infrastructure backed by the King

islavision

penbat wrote:
Ken wrote:mall villages.

My daughter says prices for property will continue to increase as before. I am very skeptical.

I would buy in BG country village as somewhere to live not as an investment. I wouldnt care about it increasing in value. In fact it would be refreshing to not be part of a property bubble.

madara

Postby madara » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:34 pm

Buy a village property for fun - not as investment !

penbat
Super User!
Super User!

Postby penbat » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:28 pm

[quote="islavision"]I agree Penbat, Bulgarian Villages are to live in not exploit.
[quote]

In fact i would like it if prices came down as i wont be buying for a while - the cheaper the better - and i wouldnt really care if they went down after i bought either.

eilidhlux

Postby eilidhlux » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:21 pm

Thanks for going public on how ignorant you are.
Most names that end in ski are Russian or Polish!
Take you prejudices off this very useful site.[/quote]

Hiya Trev,
Maybe theres something wrong with my reading and interpreting language today but it seems your getting a bit of a hard time for a relevant question.
I think charley23 hit the nail right on the head. I met a family who run a legitimate business and seem to own the whole street apart from my house and were quite happy to use the word Mafia to describe a close knit community who do most of their business within the family E.G. The father has a farm, the son has a haulage firm, the cousin has a distribution depot etc. The word mafia was used in a very lighthearted way and i found these people to be very honest, hardworking and helpful.
In the past i've done various jobs involving promotion and looked at the nightclub for sale on the port in Balchic and was warned that the new owner would obviously have to deal with the local Mafia. I don't know much (if anything) about the Mafia prescence in Bulgaria but i do know a thing or two about nightclubs and understood what was implied so didn't bother to enquire further for the property.
I found that the planning permission for a property that i did invest in went through very quickly after having a very pleasant dinner with a local councillor and i don't think that this is untoward either. Maybe planning permission is fast in that particular commune anyway. There was certainly no mention of a backhander of any kind.
Not sure if this is the sort of thing your talking about or something bigger and more sinister, if thats the case i can't comment but i do hear whispers and was more inquisitive than concerned until i spent time in BG and met some wonderful people.
Gus

prosac

Postby prosac » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:45 pm

OH WOE IS ME

GOD I LUVVV THIS MAFIA THREAD

REGARDS

BenC
<b>Property Sales/Rentals</b>

Having lived and done business in Bulgaria for many years..

Postby BenC » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:31 pm

..I would say that there is really no 'La Costra Nostra' as such, but there have been, and probably are still many, groups of organised and heavilly set blokes that do naughty things. Some of them drive nice mercedes, and are covered in gold etc. However, show me a country/any major city in in the world where there is no such thing as organised crime. Show me that and I'll get you a pair of glasses and we'll look again ;)

I would definately agree with some of the comments on this thread, i.e if you start to do big business in the capital or the sea side and 'eat into' the profits of the local 'mutri' then it may indeed be a problem. I mean, if you wanted to open a strip bar, or a night club, opposite mr.bigs, your going to expect a visit. Again, that is surely par for the course here in Bg, back in blighty or anywhere else. Have your wits about you, use a bit of sense, and I don't think you will have any problems.

As also stated Bulgarian family units tend to be stronger, in my experience, than back in the UK, and its definately true that many families are in business together. Also many families have a firearm in the household, another trait that is not common back in the UK. However neither, or a combination of these things, should mean that the family be libelled as being 'mafia'. I have come across many family units as described above and non have been involved in criminal activities like, racketeering, prositituion or drugs.

The word mafia, I feel, is more often than not used to describe what is a way of life for families over here. Sure there is 'some' orgainsed crime, and 'some' corruption, but what you will find is that street crime, hoolaganism and general rowdiness, is much less present in this beautiful country than it is in the UK.

Dont be put off by pre-conceptions, and the image that many people portray out here, use some common sense, stay lucky and you will be fine.

Nikki

Postby Nikki » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:09 pm

Hi trevovski

welcome to the site and as a newbie welldone for hanging on in there after such a welcome (hope your head is still on)!!!!

We hope you find the site useful and look forward to your contributions.

Sorry know very little about the mafia

Regards

Nikki

Return to “Business Link”