Import/export laws in bulgaria

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

Teddyedward
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Import/export laws in bulgaria

Postby Teddyedward » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:23 pm

Hi all Just returned from first visit to Bulgaria, tied up loose ends on property purchase. We are interested in starting up a business in Svilengrad, namely a shop selling clothes and accessories. We have looked on this forum and on the internet but cannot find any information on the laws governing the import/export of clothes to Bulgaria. We know quite a few of you have lived in Bg for a while, so if you can help with any information I would be grateful. Scot47 has suggested I contact a solicitor or other reliable source which I will do over this coming week but was just wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Thank you Pat and Tony

satellitemark
Super User!
Super User!

Postby satellitemark » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:33 pm

hi teddyedward

there is a anglo bulgaria chamber of commerce outfit that must of had dealings of this kind , i dont know how to contact them but they have been mentioned on the site before , so someone should know something about them

regards

mark

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:44 pm

The regulations are published in similar form to UK Statutory Instruments. I have seen them in Bulgarian biut not in English. You need to consult a lawyer and/or a Customs Agent.

Teddyedward
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Teddyedward » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:56 pm

Thank you for your comments, I have emailed the English/Bulgarian chamber of commerce, if anybody knows they should. Pat

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:05 am

A recent development in BG has been the arrival of second-hand shops. Entrepeneurs import containers of used clothing, tart it up and flog it to consumers. Many Bulgarians cannot afford new clothes.

balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:52 pm

As I recall, the Bulgarian Customs Tariff is published on the Bulgaria Customs website - www.customs.government.bg - but right now the site won't open so I can't confirm that. The Tariff will indicate whether there are any restrictions (eg quota) and the duty rates on imported clothing.
Also as I recall, the head office of Bg Customs in Sofia has - or used to have - an "open to the public" session on Thursday afternoons, where anyone could go and inquire about anything to do with customs. Perhaps they also answer the phones then - in English ...

Batko
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Batko » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:36 pm

Try looking here: http://www.en.customs.bg/index_en.html

It's all there, although just this once I have to agree with Scot's helpful advice, you will need a clearing agent. Even when I was working with Bulgarians importing stuff, they still used their own customs agent, to help "smooth the way" as it were. pm me for further info if you like.

btw, yes second hand clothes shops are doing well over here, lots of stuff from Germany. Have you ever wondered where all the clothes come from? Don't be suprised if all these secondhand clothes donated for charities end up being sold in shops across Bulgaria, possibly entering Bulgaria as a donation via a well known international charity, thus avoiding import duties!

Teddyedward
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

import/export

Postby Teddyedward » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:58 pm

Thanks to all of you for your replies which as usual have been very helpful I will follow up the links you have given me. I did try the Bg chamber of commerce but the web site is still being constructed for english users. If anybody has any more information I would be grateful to receive it. Thanks again Pat

balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:42 am

The Bulgarian Customs website I mentioned in my earlier post is now working (for me anyway) and, yes, the Customs Tariff is there, in English and Bulgarian. New clothing appears to be dealt with in Chapters 61 and 62. Its too long to post here but this link might work (for Chapter 62 - Clothing not knitted or crocheted):

http://www.en.customs.bg/mt_2006/chapters/CH62.htm

Mind you, a degree of special knowledge is needed to understand the language of customs tariffs :)

Return to “Business Link”