New English music bar on the coast

A Forum aimed at individuals or companies who can give or need advice about doing business in Bulgaria and related information and news.

Moderator: Moderator

daviddevon
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

New English music bar on the coast

Postby daviddevon » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:04 am

Hi all

I am coming to BG in May to look for business premises to open and English style live music bar, aimed at the age group 30 plus with Eagles, dire straits, beatles, clapton etc type live music with open mike nights and jamming sesssions.

Can anyone suggest or advise which city or town on the coast would be suitable for such a venue, perhaps someone knows of a particular area with a large contingent of English speakers that would benefit from such a venue.

All advise or suggestions welcomed

Thanks in advance

David

Direct email david@badmoonrising.wanadoo.co.uk

Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:15 am

Varna! Varna! Varna! The best city! There are lot of Brits around the Northern Black Sea coast. Yes, Varna is the perfect location for such business. That is my personal opinion. Good luck!

Tony

Postby Tony » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:55 am

Sunny Beach.....Sunny Beach....Sunny Beach.... Is where the money is. 8)
Hope you're good at jumping through hoops David. :?

Richie

Postby Richie » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:32 pm

Go for Varna - all year round business from expats and I'm sure Bulgarians who also love this kind of thing. Most people staying in the northern resorts spend a night or two sampling Varna's nightlife. I think it's a winner!

Forget Sunny Beach, too much local competition and nothing to do off season when the place gets mothballed.

daviddevon
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Music bar

Postby daviddevon » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:46 pm

Wow this is a great site.

Thanks to everyone for the responses, Varna was my first choice and this seems to be being confirmed.

Please keep your thoughts, suggestions, warnings whatever coming.

Does anyone know if there are many musicians ( Brits or otherwise ) around Varna, be they professional or just guys that wanna jam ?

For those interested in such a venue, my plan is for a lounge type music bar, with soft furnishings, subtle lighting, small stage, and music at a tollerable level, with areas where a conversation can still be held, again aimed at the 30+ age group.
Any suggestions as to what else such a venue should or should not have would be most welcome.

Thanks all

David

Kaz1

Postby Kaz1 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:22 pm

I agree with most of the previous postings -Varna. There would be a year-round business opportunity and the right atmosphere would attract any English speaking clients in the locale. Needs to be tasteful though, as you earlier suggested.Kaz1

geordie
Super User!
Super User!

Postby geordie » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:25 pm

Our best Bulgarian friends are professional musicians. They play in Golden Sands in the summer and Germany in the winter.

On our 1st holiday in Golden Sands, about 5 years ago, almost every bar had Bulgarian entertainment of some sort, usually singers. Now there are more karaoke bars and less and less singers, which is a great shame. I guess this means there will be musicians in the Varna area looking for work.
I personally never frequent English type bars as prefer the more traditional Bulgarian establishments, but saying that I wish you all the best and if you employ good local Bulgarian singers we would probably visit.
Good luck
Anne

Oscar
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Oscar » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:00 pm

Sunny Beach is ok, but ONLY in the summer season - in the winter is like a dead place. But Varna is lively all the seasons, because it's a city, people work and live there permanently, plus there is a tourists all the time (of course the most in the summer). I personally would never prefer Sunny Beach to Varna! Varna is not only the biggest and the most beautiful city on the Black Sea coast, but it is also a town with thousands of year history and has incredible, amazing atmosphere and got it all! Varna is also a town-resort with very rich past history. Varna is a cosmopolitan city, called also the Black Sea Gem, The Black Sea capital, The Black Sea Perl, etc. Go for Varna and you will see that's the best choice! Very best of luck!!!
Last edited by Oscar on Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IamPabLo
<b>Property Sales</B>

Postby IamPabLo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:01 pm

DId someone say VaRna..
But the really tricky part is not the city but where you make it in the city, I think that getting a place in the centre will be best cos that's where all the tourists and should be easy to find if you target group is mainly foreigners. Even the ppl that live in varna or around varna for an year or 2 know only where Black sea hotel is Mcdonalds the cathedral, police station and from this point of view is good to be next to something that's easy to find or popular but still in the central area. OK i stop here cos i can go 4eva.

Last edited by IamPabLo on Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

World Music

Postby scot47 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:05 pm

Not sure about this. Do you want a bar with ENGLISH music ? Or quality music from everywhere ?

Congolese Jazz and Afro-cuban ?

Return to “Business Link”