Survived 2 years in BG

Living in Bulgaria and arranging a local event? Announce and discuss them here!

Moderator: Moderator

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:37 pm

Not so long ago when people emigrated, that was it. Farewell. For ever. When people of our parents' or grandparents' generation went to Canada or Australia, the expectation was that they would never return, and few did.

Now with modern technology and easy air travel you can keep in touch and visit easily. No big deal.

welsh-Vi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby welsh-Vi » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:46 pm

Yes scot47 I agree with you, the world is much smaller with modern technology but I suppose when you are a parent/grandparent you still miss being part of their lives. Don`t get me wrong, I`m very happy here but I do get my moments and I think that is only natural.

twiggy

first 2 of many!!

Postby twiggy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:44 pm

Well done vi i think what you and your sister have is a inspiration to us all
i have been trying to get my other half to move permanent but the kids and grand kids keep coming up?
Have you got any tips on how to win her round?
Once again well done and keep it up!!
regards twiggy

welsh-Vi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby welsh-Vi » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:58 pm

Thank you twiggy.
How to persuade your wife? Mmmmm thats a tricky one. I think as long as you can go home a couple of times a year, and the family can come out here for holidays then its great.
When you DO see them, it is `quality time`, nothing is taken for granted and you enjoy every minute of your time together. Plus the grandchildren are better behaved because they haven't seen you for ages ! :lol:
And then you just look forward to the next visit.
Its not the same as being there all the time of course but with Skype and a webcam I can talk to them and see them every day.
My kids gave me their blessing when I came out here and they have never said or done anything to make me feel guilty, it is just something I can`t help feeling.

bobafett
Super User!
Super User!

survived 2 years in bg

Postby bobafett » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:48 pm

congrats, to you both now that you have survived your first 2 years in bg , no easy ride there, bobafett :)

janhar

Postby janhar » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi Vi and sis. congratulations on your second anniversary!!!
I know what you mean though about missing the kids and grnadkids but totally agree that it's so easy to keep in touch. I go over 2-3 times a year and am on the phone loads too. but I love it here and now see BG as my home.
here's to many more anniversaries. :lol:
jan

welsh-Vi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby welsh-Vi » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:17 pm

Thanks bobafett, things are getting easier all the time, especially as my Bulgarian improves but; I think if it hadn't been for my BG neighbours things would have been so much harder in the early days. They have been so friendly and helpful although they couldn't speak a word of English but we had some great fun playing charades ! :lol:

DANNIA
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby DANNIA » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:23 pm

Hi Vi and Jill
congratulations on your 2 year anniversary, and glad you are enjoying your lives here.

Hi Twiggy,
we moved here (Yambol) a year ago and I found it easy up to the last 5 months, Darren found it hard from around the 2 month mark.
We have just returned to the UK for the 1st time and have very mixed feelings about our lives here.
I think the best advice is to try living in your village or a village if you want to buy or have bought to move here.
It is such a big move that we realise that maybe we should have done this first, though it is not always an option we know, but for something as life changing as a move to a foreign country, it has to be thought out in every way possible.

Good luck with your wife

Nikki

welsh-Vi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby welsh-Vi » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Thanks jan for your good wishes. How long have you been here?

welsh-Vi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby welsh-Vi » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:39 pm

Hi Nikki,
I agree with you that village life in particular is not for everyone but I just knew it would be for me! I am sorry you are having second thoughts, maybe its just a bad patch and I hope you will resolve it somehow.

Return to “Ex-Pat Forum - including details of any Car Boot, Tabletop or Craft Sales”