House Insurance arranged in the UK?

As it says - all of the financial stuff!

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
parkersd
Super User!
Super User!

Postby parkersd » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Shebry,having had a quote from Intasure that I was not too impressed with I would be interested to know which company you have now gone with. Bearing in mind the problems that you have had I am sure you have done a fair bit of research & I would be grateful for a recommendation if possible.
many thanks,
Sue

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
berylc
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

insurance

Postby berylc » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:20 pm

I have been paying insurance with Hiscox for over 6 years only to receive a letter this year stating that due to the high level of burglaries in our area they were considering not insuring us again even though we have never made a claim. Managed to resolve this by making certain guarantees, however at a price! £60 more a year!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
grasshopper

house insurance

Postby grasshopper » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:20 pm

having taken cover with intasure it's a bit unsettling to read bad press,but that is a fact that all insurance companies will try to wriggle out of settlements.i went to hiscox for a quote but they would only insure as a holiday home and we live here. a house in our street is a holiday home and the barn was cleverly broken into an put back as was including locks, he lost generator new unused nail gun and host of tools and saws and hiscox paid out in 5 weeks,with the police documents from bg as evidence. there must be other companies out there if you search.
grasshopper

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Intasure

Postby shebry » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:47 pm

Liliana What you can't figure out is that your house is in Bulgaria and Intasure's Head Office is in Croydon, but did you know that their Underwriters are in Paris and the Loss Adjuster comes from Varna

bulgaria125 They told me the same as you. I should have read the 44 page document. I did, but as we knew we had not lost our villa I did not see any reason for informing them of a change of circumstances. There weren't any

parkersd I can't recommend the Company I am now insured with because I have not had to make a claim (thank goodness) yet, but I can say that I was very impressed with the way they conducted business to open the account/contract. An agent came to the villa on the Friday and did a complete Inventory, then came back on the Monday, took photographs and commenced pulling out all the major appliances to get the serial numbers. When I asked, why are you doing that, I want to confirm that they are your's and check them with your invoices. He also explained that in Bulgaria the perpetrators will always plead ignorance and have no knowledge of where the goods came from, that is why we take the serial numbers then there can be no dispute
The Company I am insured with now is DZI - General Insurance, Sofia
e-mail: general.ins@dzi.bg

berylc They want you to pay £60.00 more and you undertake to give certain guarantees. Who is insuring who?? its a joke

grasshopper If you watched BBC Watchdog programme last week you would have heard on TV exactly what you have said, and that is the fact that Insurance Companies will try to wriggle out of settlements
They take our money, but won't part with their's without a struggle. In fact it is now referred to as Insurances Fraud in many cases

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
brianj42
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby brianj42 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:00 pm

Shebry, could you tell me which Watchdog episode it was or the exact date so I can get it off the net.

Cheers

B

PS: I was sat in a garage a couple of months back waiting for my car. A chap sat next to me and we sat talking. Turns out he's retired from Norwich Union and dealt with Buildings and contents claims. So, I thought good oportunity to quiz him. Straight question "when you get a claim do you try and wiggle out of paying".

He laughed. Answer "We know the policies word for word and regularly take tests. Yes, we are trained to try and get out of paying any way we can, in fact the more cases we reject and don't pay out, the bigger our annual bonus" !!!!

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shebry
Super User!
Super User!

intasure

Postby shebry » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:56 pm

brianj42 wrote:Shebry, could you tell me which Watchdog episode it was or the exact date so I can get it off the net.

Cheers

B

PS: I was sat in a garage a couple of months back waiting for my car. A chap sat next to me and we sat talking. Turns out he's retired from Norwich Union and dealt with Buildings and contents claims. So, I thought good oportunity to quiz him. Straight question "when you get a claim do you try and wiggle out of paying".

He laughed. Answer "We know the policies word for word and regularly take tests. Yes, we are trained to try and get out of paying any way we can, in fact the more cases we reject and don't pay out, the bigger our annual bonus" !!!!

I have sent you a pm

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
AJUK
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Intersure

Postby AJUK » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:44 am

Hi,

I have just received my renewal notice from Intasure, due this month. They have informed me that they will not be renewing my policy, as they can no longer insure ex-pats in Bulgaria. 8O

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
mickswa

Postby mickswa » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:35 pm

i have spoken to intasure 5 mins ago and they tell me they are ceasing to insure main homes, holiday homes and second homes(as they call them) are unaffected...hope this helps...mick

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
shebry
Super User!
Super User!

Postby shebry » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:45 pm

mickswa wrote:i have spoken to intasure 5 mins ago and they tell me they are ceasing to insure main homes, holiday homes and second homes(as they call them) are unaffected...hope this helps...mick

I can see this statement could cause all sorts of problems with people transferring their main homes into holiday or second homes
I would have thought main homes were more secure than holiday homes
I know a couple who own a home and a holiday home in Balgaravo, does that mean Intasure will insure one but not the other
They need to make a statement of facts to clear up this situation

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Liliana

Postby Liliana » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:49 pm

Liliana wrote:This is quite coincidental but I got a quote from this company only a few days ago upon recemmendations.

What I can't figure is.... My house is in Bulgaria their office is in Croydon(?)

Why do they value my house at 1,000,000 GBP when they haven't seen it? On top of that they've quoted 220 GBP pa for buildings and contents? :roll:

If I had a house worth a million pounds I'd be prepared to pay ALOT more insurance. Saying that if I had that sort of money way hey!

Personally I wouldn't touch them... 8)

Always knew there was something not quite right or even dodgy about the quote I was given....

What are the implications for people who have 'main' houses insured I wonder? Will thier contracts be honoured? :roll:

Return to “Banking/Currency/Insurance/Mortgages”