Is the pound set to make a comeback against the Euro?

As it says - all of the financial stuff!

Moderator: Moderator

dazza
<b>Property Sales/Building Services</b>

Postby dazza » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:06 am

Thanks saw the video brilliant.Sadly wars really are good for economies in depression.Its ironic that the big winner in this recession is the Chinese command economy !.

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:43 am

Hi Dazza, Yeah Lord keynes was a rock star in his day, he had discovered the magic formula to smooth out the peaks and troughs of an economy and most governments today still follow his theories. Keynes said it like it was, war is the best thing you can have for a booming economy - Thats probably why we have so many dumb wars then!!

China now number 2 in the World, Jim o'Neil reckons number 1 in less than 10 years, that will be the biggest game changer of our lives, discussions about the Pound if it still exists will become quite irrelevant then.

dazza

Postby dazza » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:33 am

yes, but the big test will be on the american psyche they are taught like Nazi Germany that they are the best in the world, fact is that they are pretty mediocre

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:44 am

If Hayek was right, the practice of printing money (now not PC to call it that: it's "Quantitative Easing" - haha!) is going to land us all in the mother and father of all doodoo piles. Some time. Maybe soon. We will see.....
:smt072

dazza

Postby dazza » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:55 am

Only if u believe in the economics of one old bag from Grantham.

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:06 pm

dazza wrote:yes, but the big test will be on the american psyche they are taught like Nazi Germany that they are the best in the world, fact is that they are pretty mediocre

Indeed, as the British Empire slowly and quietly died, two new global powers came up to take its place, the US and the USSR, the former USSR is a good modern example of what happens when a house of cards (Fiat money) collapses.

Now the US is slowly dying and this time around only 1 new super power to take its place, there no counterbalance to China at the moment, the EU is big enough, it bigger than the US in GDP terms, but at the moment the EU does not appear to want the super power mantle!!

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:21 pm

I read with interest the money markets, and i can see that the pound is gaining against the euro, ( papers say its 1.14 to 1 euro ) and the lev is at 1.27 to the £1 )

Then yesterday i see that the german chancellor is saying that britain will join the euro far sooner than it wants to.
why can they not see that the euro is doomed, that most of europe cannot pay their debts, and they will all need a bail out. Germany and its ally France will do absolutely anything to prop up these ailing countries, in order to save their own necks. Its been said many times, by the economists that pumping loads of money into these countries would be a complete waste of time and effort, and i cannot see why the uk has to dip into

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:24 pm

houseman wrote:If Hayek was right, the practice of printing money (now not PC to call it that: it's "Quantitative Easing" - haha!) is going to land us all in the mother and father of all doodoo piles. Some time. Maybe soon. We will see.....
:smt072

Its happened in the past many times before, its incredible what 1 GBP was worth 25, 50, 75, 100 years ago against a basket of goods/services

qwerty
Super User!
Super User!

Postby qwerty » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:30 pm

truckyboy wrote:I read with interest the money markets, and i can see that the pound is gaining against the euro, ( papers say its 1.14 to 1 euro ) and the lev is at 1.27 to the £1 )

Then yesterday i see that the german chancellor is saying that britain will join the euro far sooner than it wants to.
why can they not see that the euro is doomed, that most of europe cannot pay their debts, and they will all need a bail out. Germany and its ally France will do absolutely anything to prop up these ailing countries, in order to save their own necks. Its been said many times, by the economists that pumping loads of money into these countries would be a complete waste of time and effort, and i cannot see why the uk has to dip into

The Euro is doomed in its present political and structural form, I suspect the FORM will morph into something else in the near future, but still be called the Euro, we live in interesting times!!

bigbulg
<b>Legal Services</b>

Postby bigbulg » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:44 am

Interesting take on the Euro problem
http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=134229

Return to “Banking/Currency/Insurance/Mortgages”