Currency question - I need help please :)

As it says - all of the financial stuff!

Moderator: Moderator

TIME2FLY

Currency question - I need help please :)

Postby TIME2FLY » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi all

I feel a bit daft asking this, but as I haven't been to BG before, it's all a bit of an unknown.

I'm coming out end of august for just over 2 weeks, and I'll be staying with a friend who lives in a quiet village about 1/2 hr drive from Veliko Tarnovo.

I am going to get a cash card that I can load with euro, but (now here's where I feel daft!) I will need Lev though won't I??? I presume only large shops etc will take the Euro.....
I can't get in touch with my friend at the mo, but when I asked her, she did say "Take sterling and change it when you're there"..........

I would rather have the right currency to at least last me until we get out and about if you get my drift :)

You do know it's 'Help a numbskull in the UK' day don't you? Here's your chance to oblige and do your bit! :P

Claire

Anni
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Anni » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Claire,

The Bulgarian Currency is Lev. I think the general consensus is, take some Lev with you for emergencies when you arrive (in case you get stuck or something) and take sterling to change as the rate of exchange is better in Bulgaria than here in the UK.

Some places do take Euros, but the rate of exchange will generally be weighted against you in shops.

Have a good stay in Bulgaria.

THEPOSSOM

Postby THEPOSSOM » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:56 pm

If you'll have a cash card (Visa/Master) then it's no problem, all you have to do, is go to an ATM, at any bank branch, and withdraw any amount you want, one Lv is equivalent to half a euro, roughly. :lol: THE POSSUM.

Garyjs
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Garyjs » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:57 pm

You should get a Nation Wide Flex Account

Good exchangre Rates

No Fee's

Gary

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:07 pm

Look here for the benefits of a Nationwide Flex Account:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_acc ... nefits.htm

Commission-free card use abroad
We are the only high-street provider that doesn't charge you commission if you use your card abroad* Some competitors charge up to 2.75% for buying goods or services and withdrawing cash abroad.
* We will pass on a Visa charge for foreign transactions outside of the Visa Europe Region.

ATM (cash) machines are now common in Bulgaria - you will have no trouble finding one to insert your card and withdraw in Leva!

:wink: 8)

Ps This card has its own discussion topic here:
http://www.mybulgaria.info/modules.php? ... nationwide

TIME2FLY

Postby TIME2FLY » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:20 pm

Aw, I don't feel quite so daft now, as you have all been very kind and haven't taken the 'P' at my daftness ( so far :P )

I don't think there's time to get a Flex account up and running with a card etc, as I leave the UK two weeks tomorrow - but thank you for the info :)

I had planned to get the 'FairFX' card, and from what I can see, the only charges made are when you withdraw from an overseas ATM = 1.50 Euro each withdrawal.

https://www.fairfx.com/cardfaq

What do ya think? (I really don't want to carry much cash with me)

Oh to be worldly wise............ :lol:

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:43 pm

Bulgaria is still very much a cash economy. And cash means BG Leva not
Euros ! ATM's are everywhere now but not in the villages.

When changing money my advice is to go to a bank not to a "Bureau de Change" Some of them are okay, but some are dodgy.

macwal

currency

Postby macwal » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:53 pm

I would have thought that as you are only spending a short time in BG you will be ok with cash and change in BG as you won't need thousands of pounds with you, and as long as you don't flash money around you will be safe, as no one will know how much money you have on you at any one time. enjoy your stay in BG.

Trudyw
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Trudyw » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi

Cash is good, but as before be careful.
If you intend to use your card please take yours banks 24 hour call center number, its standard practise now to block a card after its use twice in a foreign country. Best to have their contact and get it unblocked. Some banks will let you put a note on their system to say you are away , but this will not inform the computor

Have a nice trip

johnbaz
<b>Tradesman</b>

Postby johnbaz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:22 pm

Is that a fact i will sort my banks out the as they keep giving me bosh and think i live in Hastings .

Return to “Banking/Currency/Insurance/Mortgages”