Happy with your Bank? I'm not!

As it says - all of the financial stuff!

Moderator: Moderator

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Happy with your Bank? I'm not!

Postby houseman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:01 pm

With the closing of my usual branches of Pro Credit Bank in Varna so you now have to travel to the Western Industrial Zone to speak to an actual person, I reckon it's time to change banks. I made a few enquiries when we were out there, but nothing came of it: they either wanted monthly fees, didn't do internet banking, didn't speak English, or some other conditions I didn't like.
Has anyone found their ideal bank? Person to person contact in English would be ideal, plus no fees, secure internet banking, and a branch in Provadia as well as Varna. Does such a thing exist?
Thanks.

bigbulg
<b>Legal Services</b>

Re: Happy with your Bank? I'm not!

Postby bigbulg » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:15 am

I'm pretty certain all the banks have ongoing charges, i'm with Postbank, it has good online Banking, plenty of branches and English speakers, the charges are ridiculous tho, 2.5 leva for my Direct Debit payment to EVN, my account "should" pay interest but never had any credited. A friend of mine uses DSK Bank and has grumbles but overall is happy with them apparently. Good luck on your search.

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:26 am

Thank you! I did try DSK for a while but the queues were always immense and hardly anyone on the staff spoke a word of English. Postbank sounds worth looking into though; I don't have or need any standing orders at the moment.
Cheers!
:D

truckyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby truckyboy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:41 pm

I am in Pomorie..my wife and i use BULBANK..english speaking, very helpful, even when we visit Bourgas the staff there are brilliant..we pay our direct debits from our branch, and my wife gets a text every time one is paid, and how much they paid, fees are very low, and currency rates good also..cannot fault them, but they are one of the biggest if not THE biggest.

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:52 am

Thanks Truckyboy, sorry I picked yours up late. I had an account with Bulbank, long before it was part of Unicredit. From what you say it seems to have picked itself up, though maybe they have a higher number of English speaking staff in seaside resorts. The branch in Varna had almost nobody who spoke intelligible English, and one had to queue to speak to anyone if you spoke little or no Bulgarian. We have learned quite a lot of the Bulgarian language over the years, but I am still reluctant to hold specific conversations, like banking, in Bulgarian. Worth revisiting now, it seems. Thank you for the info.

regfrancis

Postby regfrancis » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:27 pm

Postbank seemed very dishonest when doing cash transactions with tellers. Pro-credit terminated my account when i had a cash deposit, saying because it was inactive for a few months
Unicredit are very unhelpfull when requested to do simple jobs. My Three month old visa card stoped working dut to thee own doing--and they demanded 5 leva for a new one
Not to mention any time i want to use their internet banking I need to alllocate a full day to talking to their support staff!!!!

Seem like BG bank staff hate their job...well and good....

Im using bitcoin now and can very soon kiss them goodbye:

) ha ha ha

oldtimer
<b>Prop Management/Transport/Sales</b>

Postby oldtimer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:32 am

We use Raiffeisen Bank which are always very helpful, also a free phone number for English if you have a problem, staff are very helpful which is unusual for Bulgaria, also have an account with Bulbank which we opened many years ago and I will rate them about 1 out of 10

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks guys. :D Reg, I hope you're not going to get stung with bitcoin; I am far from alone in thinking it's essentially just a brilliant confidence trick wrapped up in technobabble and will one day crash leaving lots of people with worthless cybermoney. Oldtimer, thanks for your recommendation and your other heads ups, I'm not sure there's a Raffeisen bank in Provadia: will check.
I think bank staff in BG are trained to show no emotion and never to apologise for anything. That needs to change.

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:05 am

Im with regfrancis
Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies reduce the risk of having your money in a Bank.....did you know you do not own your money once you put it in a Bank?
BG is the first European country to recognise Bitcoin as a currency and you can pay Bills etc through epay and Fibank are also on board
no need to worry about foreign exchange etc, there are various debit cards which you can use anywhere in the world , I have Cryptopay and TenX.........they exchange cryptocurrency at the point of purchase
Having your money in a Bank is not safe.........there are safe ways to hold bitcoin, all the horror stories are from people leaving money on exchanges,and the exchange being compromised, not the currency

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:29 pm

Beg to differ: deposits of up to £75k (from memory) are protected from failing banks by statute in the UK; similar sums are protected in the EU.
But I don't want to take the thread off track with opinions about Crypto World. :D

Return to “Banking/Currency/Insurance/Mortgages”