Happy with your Bank? I'm not!

As it says - all of the financial stuff!

Moderator: Moderator

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Re: Happy with your Bank? I'm not!

Postby troyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 am

not great news if you have over 75 k, or if you were a Greek faced with closed banks then limits put on the amount of your supposed own money you could withdraw.........because Banks do not have your money, its a fantasy world as is unbacked fiat currency.
On topic I am with DSK Bank in BG now 14 years and have no complaints, I still have the bank book and look forward to my visits to the bank watching all the bits of paper being ripped up by the cashiers with rulers.

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Factual update: the FSCS protects up to £85,000 per bank in the UK. As long as you don't have various bank accounts with banks which are related to each other the £85k protection is valid for each and every bank account you may have.
I really don't think the present UK economy compares at all with that of Greece 8 years ago, but let's not go off on another tangent. :)

troyan
Super User!
Super User!

Postby troyan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:12 am

legally you do not own your money once you hand it over to a bank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4K6xPm7RG0

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Given the government backed guarantee from the FSCS, if it were true that banks "own" your money, it would only be a technicality, and not relevant to any realistic scenario (I discount the possibility of sovereign debt wipeout or political revolution). I would rather trust stable, traditional legislation-backed banking than an unprotected volatile confidence-dependent alternative money club.

Return to “Banking/Currency/Insurance/Mortgages”