Page 1 of 1

Pension Question

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:47 am
by UKmichael5
Hello, i will try to keep it simple.
Apparently if you work here officially and pay Bg tax and NI, it counts as working in the UK towards your state pension (of which you now need 35 years for a full pension) This is because they are both in the EU. Until next March that is.
Is it simply a case of getting the confirmation on paper from the tax office, translating and notarising it, then presenting it to the UK authorities?

Has anyone done this, or plan to do it...before next March.

Re: Pension Question

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:51 am
by ChrisF
Don't know where you got your information, Michael but I am sure it's not right. Any Bg contributions will count towards a Bg pension, which is much less than the UK pension.
It's the same in any EU country, e.g. work and pay NI in Spain you contribute towards a Spanish pension.
Work in several EU countries during your working life and eventually you would collect several pensions.

Re: Pension Question

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:55 pm
by UKmichael5
Hello Chris....hhmm you could be right, just found the Gov` website and as i read it working/paying abroad counts only towards the 10 years needed for a percentage of the pension in years only, it does not increase the payment! see example below from their website:

If you’ve lived or worked abroad you might still be able to get some new State Pension. Born after 1951

Your UK State Pension if you’ve lived or worked abroad
Your UK State Pension will be based on your UK National Insurance record. You need 10 years of UK National Insurance contributions to be eligible for the new State Pension.

You may be able to use time spent abroad to make up the 10 qualifying years. This is most likely if you’ve lived or worked in:

the EEA
certain countries that have a social security agreement with the UK


You have 7 qualifying years from the UK on your National Insurance record when you reach State Pension age.

You worked in an EEA country for 16 years and paid contributions to that country’s state pension.

You will meet the minimum qualifying years to get the new State Pension because of the time you worked overseas.
Your new State Pension amount will only be based on the 7 years of National Insurance contributions you made in the UK.

bit of a swizz but there you go

Re: Pension Question

Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:03 pm
by UKmichael5
well apparently anyone can pay for the last up to 6 years from abroad. I will because then i will have the 35 years needed to qualify for the full state UK pension. If i make it till 67 : )