On line language "first aid"

Tips and advice on learning Bulgarian

Moderator: Moderator

mobile

Thanks

Postby mobile » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:16 am

Thanks Lee. We visited Bulgaria last September (rotten weather) but loved it so much (and the people) we bought a couple of apartments there and then. Been a couple of times since.

The locals were great in helping us learn some basic Bulgarian and I wanted to carry on as I was rubbish at school at French and Spanish! No-one told me that once you started to learn a language the words would go round and round in your head!!!!!

leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:26 pm

This is the furthest I have ever got with a language, but only because we have such a good teacher! There are some classes advertised here, have a look round for ones in your area!

Good luck

Lee

fagashlil
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

my tongue gets cramp!

Postby fagashlil » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:19 pm

Hi everyone

Visited BG last Dec, loved it and planning to move there permanently with hubby in Jan 07. Have been trying to teach myself Bulgarian for about 6 months but it feels like forever. I have never found learning languages very easy. First started learning with Talk Now CD and recently bought Bulgarian 4 Brits. Compliments to you Melly, its very very good.

I find remembering words and phrases ok, its getting my tongue around the bulgarian words that is difficult. Just doesnt feel natural for an English speaker to go from sss sounds to zzz sounds to dv.....if you know what i mean! An example is "table for two" in Bulgarian. Half way through it, my mouth feels like I've got some-one elses teeth in!

Also, I may KNOW what the phrase is, but when I hear it spoken FAST - well, it could be double dutch!!!

The point is that I live in Spain and am learning on my own and sometimes it gets a bit disheartening .... please tell me, does it get any easier??

Mandy :? :?

Bo

Postby Bo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:10 pm

If you find Bulgarian tongue twisting, try pronouncing King George (the) Fifth's throne in English :lol:

My personal downfall used to be pronouncing 'meteorology' .... got over it eventually but not without many unhappy hours of practice. Funny things languages, huh 8O

fagashlil
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby fagashlil » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:21 pm

:)
My personal downfall used to be pronouncing 'meteorology' .... got over it eventually but not without many unhappy hours of practice. Funny things languages, huh

Hi Bo

I feel better knowing I am not the only one who struggles, suppose we all have our personal burdens...

Just have to ask .... do you use the word 'meteorology' a lot on a day to day basis?

Bo

Postby Bo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:27 pm

No, but since I had to deal with the 'problem' it's become a kind of mantra .... :lol:

Alternatively, when feeling very annoyed with someone I might privately call them a 'meteorologist' BUT there is a story behind this going many years back to the time I was first confronted by the concept of a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) and the unwillingness of one particular meteorologist to elucidate the subject for me during 'orientation' :lol:

Tophol
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Tophol » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:35 pm

We have just ordered the B4B set and are awaiting it's arrival.

I have a 45 min drive to and from work and plan to play the cd's then. Does anyone else learn this way and does it work??? :?

fagashlil
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby fagashlil » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:45 pm

Alternatively, when feeling very annoyed with someone I might privately call them a 'meteorologist' BUT there is a story behind this going many years ...during 'orientation'

Ooh, your life sounds like it was complicated! Only 'disorientation' I suffer is when my heels are too high!'

Now that you mention it tho' .... that meteo word is a bit of a mouthful! 8O

I have a 45 min drive to and from work and plan to play the cd's then. Does anyone else learn this way and does it work???

I have read from other people that they learn this way, but personally I have to concentrate a bit more than that, or it tends to go in one ear and out the other. I also find that I can't be too relaxed either or the soothing bulgarian tones can make me get a bit dozey... :roll:

Cookoid_0
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Cookoid_0 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:05 am

i think the CDs are worth playing even if you dont give them your full undivided attention, although obvously you will learn more each pass through if you do. But just hearing the language gets you used to distinguishing the words, even if you dont understand them.

I have a question about the use of "Zdravei". This is the informal form I understand but when is the use of this form appropriate. I remember from studying french at school there is some similar formal/informal form. What would be the appropriate form for me to address an older person in the village, or the village mayor?

jsid

Postby jsid » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:39 am

A trick to helping you learn a 2nd/3rd language is to make the word into somerhing you understand in your own language - believe me you'll never forget it! Another great way is to label everyday objects in your house - use post its you'll learn very easily. Also don't start with grammar - start with nouns and progress from there.

Return to “Learn the Language”