Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
leedarkwood
Mega User!
Mega User!

Verbs

Postby leedarkwood » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:06 pm

OK part of this is in italian, but I think it is obvious...here is a site with 50 Bulgarian verbs on it, with all the variations!

http://www.logosconjugator.org/newverb/ ... =&status=1

Lee

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Stoya
<b>Language Tutor</b>

The Bulgarian verb

Postby Stoya » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:43 am

Lee, you never cease to amaze and inspire me with your untiring efforts to find out more, understand and learn better.
I had a look at the site. There is one major mistake that I want to warn you about. It starts with a box for the Infinitive and puts the Bulgarian verb in the first person singular present trense there. This is the form that you will find in the dictionaries too, but it is not an Infinitive. In Bulgarian there is no Infinitive (like the form you use in English when you put two verbs together - I want to dance. To dance is the Infinitive in English, so only the first of the 2 verbs will change in form when conjugated:
I want to dance
You want to dance
She wantS to dance

But in Bulgarian both verbs change forms:

Аз искаМ да танцуваМ
Ти искаШ да танцуваШ
Той иска да танцува
Ние искаМЕ да танцуваМЕ
Вие искаТЕ да танцуваТЕ
Те искаТ да танцуваТ

The site also makes an attempt to compare the Italian tense system to the Bulgarian one and lists quite a few tenses as missing in Bulgarian which is not correct. Obviously there is a form for the future and the continuous tenses are expressed by using different aspect forms of the verb. I plan to start gently easing you into some of this pretty soon but if you feel a need for something specific in the meantime, let me know and I'll prepare it.

Stoya[/code]

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
ljackov
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby ljackov » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:16 pm

There are many more forms of the verbs than listed on this site.

In the site are not listed (non-exhaustive):
- present participles
- past participle
- past cont. participle
- past passive participle
- past passive cont. participle
- imperative forms

Note that a transitive verb having a passive form has more than 50 inflexions :)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Phreddy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Phreddy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:08 pm

I appreciate the point about the infinite but that apart the site offers a very useful, to me, tool.

Is the bit about Stoya "...I plan to start gently easing you into some of this pretty soon but if you feel a need ..." for general info or personally to Lee?

Phreddy

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Bo

Postby Bo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:36 pm

ljackov wrote:There are many more forms of the verbs than listed on this site.

In the site are not listed (non-exhaustive):
- present participles
- past participle
- past cont. participle
- past passive participle
- past passive cont. participle
- imperative forms

Note that a transitive verb having a passive form has more than 50 inflexions :)

Sorry, I really do not appreciate the point about one NOT needing to know about these things, so here's a bit of my mind:

Let us take present participles as an example: in Bulgarian, this form is typically exemplified by verbs that end in 'ейки', 'айки', i.e. слушайки, implying the meaning conveyed by what is generally expressed by the classic situation best expressed in English with a verb in present continuous tense as in "Watching the 6 o'clock news I still failed to grasp the full extent of what had happened", which would translate as "Гледайки новините в 6 все още не схващах (разбирах) напълно значението на случилото се."

Now there is another way to say this in BG avoiding the present participle, which is to substitute the present participle with a subordinate clause (which is often recommended for stylistic reasons) and thus start the sentence with "dokato" = "whilst" BUT even such minor alteration would change the IMPLICATION of what is being said (albeit to a relatively minor degree).

I would not go into the intricacies of the other verb forms mentioned but would still like to draw the attention of everyone who wants not only to be roughly understood in Bulgarian but have their intended meaning correctly understood that verbs and forms thereof are the most essential element of a language and in that it is crucial to master them in their rich and, unfortunately, rarely simple variety.

As an example, try translating/try to translate ( :lol: if you wish) the difference in BG between:

'I tried to do it' and 'I tried doing it' as per the example above. Now which form of the verb in BG translates which, why, and how do you imply the proper amount of effort that went into the endeavour? 8)

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bren

Postby bren » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:45 pm

errmmm... I'll just have a dry white if I may, please. :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Bo

Postby Bo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:57 pm

bren wrote:errmmm... I'll just have a dry white if I may, please. :D

A Brit once sent me an e-mail to which a title deed (scanned) was attached, giving me directions not to translate it but to give them roughly an idea of what it was all about.

I responded promptly telling them the document, at first glance, was a title deed, dealing with the sale and purchase of property :D

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
bren

Postby bren » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:06 pm

Bo - go and have a little lie down :roll:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Bo

Postby Bo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:20 pm

bren wrote:Bo - go and have a little lie down :roll:

Dear, oh, dear! What verbs do to people :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Magellan

Postby Magellan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:38 pm

Magellan wrote:We don't need to know all this !

Lee, tell us all where we can get the magic automatic translating keyboards ! :wink:

Gary.

Bo, this was just a private joke between Lee and I.

Gary.

Return to “Learn the Language”