A Verb a Day.

Tips and advice on learning Bulgarian

Moderator: Moderator

balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:39 pm

blakey wrote:can somebody explain when ли е is used at the end of a sentence and when it is used in the middle of one

Ah well, now there's a tricky one. But first, keep in mind that ли doesn't have to be with e - e is itself a verb, the third person singular of the verb "to be" (аз съм, ти си, той/тя/то е etc). Ли is the little word which turns a statement into a question. And because a statement needs a verb, it generally attaches itself to the verb - so that instead of making a statement based on a verb, you are asking a question using that verb. Such as "Искаш ли още една бира?" (Do you want another beer?) - not "Искаш още една бира ли?".

But as I've discovered over the years, there are exceptions to the general rule. One useful one to remember is that if the verb is the last word in the sentence/statement, then "ли" will generally precede it - as in the commonly asked question "Добре ли си?" (Are you ok?). It would sound wrong to a Bulgarian to ask "Добре си ли?"

Also, it seems to me that sometimes ли is put after the noun, rather than the verb, to emphasise what is being asked. But right now I can't think of an example of this - perhaps others here can.

My own thinking is that you can't go too far wrong using the general rule - attach ли to the verb - after the verb if there's more to come in the sentence, before the verb if its the last word in the sentence.

I stand back and await correction.

blakey
Super User!
Super User!

Postby blakey » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:50 pm

hi thanks for that explanation i have read and read it but am really finding it hard to get my head round it, i will keep reading it and may be it will sink in (think it must be my age) thanks again

Phreddy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Phreddy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:44 pm

This does not add one bit to what BK says but -
Blakey, BK explains it well so, having read it, just use the "ли" after the verb - always.
You will only be wrong very occasionally. On those occasions someone will probably correct you.
I like these little rules to go by, it helps me, without me having to understand.

God, that sounds pompus!

Phreddy

Milka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Milka » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:39 am

A few days getting back with an answer for last weeks verb Мога but here are my efforts:

аз мога – I can/may/am able to
ти можеш – you can/may/are able to
той/тя/то може – he/she/it can/may/is able to
ние можем – we can/may/are able to
вие можете – you (formal/plural) can/may/are able to
те могат – they can/may/are able to

The Г turns into Ж before an e.

To save time in replying to Brick separately I decided to try creating examples for мога to want with to sit суадам / седна

аз мога да седна до тях – I can sit next to them
ти можеш да седнеш с мене – You may sit with me
той/тя може да седне до прозореца – He/she can sit by the window
ние можем да седнем – We are able to sit down
те могат да седнат по-кьсно – They can sit down later

And for Blakey, the same examples turned into questions:

мога ли да седна до тях – Can I sit next to them?
можеш ли да седнеш с мене – Can you sit with me?
може ли да седне до прозореца – May he/she sit by the window?
можем ли да седнем – Are we able to sit down?
могат ли да седнат по-кьсно – May they sit down later?

I was a little unsure where to put ли when you have two verbs back to back but having searched for examples through my books, managed to find one and it seems to go after the first one.

(Edited as Brick correctly stated it should be те могат)

M
Last edited by Milka on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Milka
Super User!
Super User!

Gardening verbs

Postby Milka » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:49 am

Hi Phreddy,

I had a look through my dictionary last Sunday for planting, sowing, etc but didn't go back as far as you in the propagation chain as you! The trouble I had was that the dictionary often gave two or three verbs and I had no idea which of them identified with the action I was after without checking the words back from Bulgarian to English!

I hoping for a quiet day at work so I can get back onto my 'research' :lol:

M

Pirol
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Pirol » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:28 am

Milka wrote:To save time in replying to Brick separately I decided to try creating examples for мога to want with to sit суадам / седна

Bravo, but: "сяадам" instead of "суадам"

Phreddy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Phreddy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:11 pm

Im asked my teacher, she says "Always put 'li' after the verb" There are no other ways.

Phreddy

Then she said "Maybe if it is a broken part of a sentence" viz: 'You think so?' Mizli?

Milka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Milka » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:28 pm

Yes Brick, you are correct :oops: it should have been те могат – they can/may/are able to. (Now corrected)

That's the trouble when you cut and paste, you duplicate mistakes! It must have happened when I was cross-checking that I'd got the endings right. The book I used uses the font where lower case T's are printed as m's (that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it :wink: )

M

BasildonShrimp
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby BasildonShrimp » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:50 pm

For what it's worth,

I've been doing a verb a day for a couple of weeks now, only difference is, I started it for Junior Shrimp, who is now doing French at School. So we pick a verb, he does The French version and I do The Bulgarian version, seems to be helping us both.

Return to “Learn the Language”