A Verb a Day.

Tips and advice on learning Bulgarian

Moderator: Moderator

Phreddy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Phreddy » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:06 pm

Milka, you put me to shame! I asked my teacher about the 3 verbs that we have for sitting but she needs a little more time to respond.

About the garden verbs: I tried the dictionary but it is no help when BGNs don't use the same words. I am interested in heritage variaties of tomatoes and am looking for them here in Elhovo. I needed the 'seed saving' words which turns out to be 'collect' not save.
All the words that I use for the garden are direct from my teacher and then sometimes with backup from the dictionery.

Phreddy

BTW they don't 'dig' the garden but ' turn it over'. I will find out the words and put them up for you.

Milka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Milka » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:34 pm

I asked my teacher about the 3 verbs that we have for sitting but she needs a little more time to respond

My book talks about Bulgarian having different verbs for 'body position' - one verb meaning to assume a position and another to be in the position. It applies not just to sitting but also standing and lying. I'm on my laptop so can't give the cyrillic versions for now.

About the garden verbs: I tried the dictionary but it is no help when BGNs don't use the same words

I tried running a few words through the online dictionary sa.dir.bg over the weekend. It helped me narrow down some gardening type verbs. Once I'm back on my other computer I'll list what I've found and maybe you can run them past your tutor and see what she makes of them. I'm looking at sow/plant, grow, prune, cultivate, pick/harvest!

M

RICO
Super User!
Super User!

A verb a day

Postby RICO » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:43 pm

Hi Milka,

In my dictionary sow is сея but how you present it in all the tenses,I don't know.
The я at the end of the word instead of an а throws me.
Do you know the way to go.

Rico

Milka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Milka » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:37 am

Hi Rico,

Are you happy with the fact that Bulgarian verbs fall into one of three ‘conjugations’?

I’ve printed off some pages from www.studybulgarian.com to give me an ‘at a glance’ help me with the verb endings and to summarise them here:

Conjugation I
Usually for verbs ending in a vowel + я (and also most of the verbs ending in а)
Remove the я (or the a) and add the following:

-еш

-ем
-ете
-ят

Conjugation II
Usually for verbs ending in a consonant + я (and also verbs ending in a that don’t fall into the first type)
Remove the я (or the a) and add the following:

-иш

-им
-ите
-ят

Conjugation III
Usually for verbs ending in ам and ям (this means about 90% of Bulgarian verbs)
Remove the м and add the following:

- (ie don't add anything)
-ме
-те

The website gives some examples and lists the exceptions to these rules, particularly useful for the verbs ending in a that can fall in conjugation I or II

On this basis, if to sow is сея, we have a verb ending in a vowel and я and following the reasoning above I reckon it would follow conjugation pattern I:

Аз сея
Ти сееш
Тои/тя/то сее
Ние сеем
Вие сеете
Те сеят

It looks very awkward but живея (to live) is another verb ending in –ея and I can find examples of that conjugated with ee’s as above so it’s possibly correct.

Does this help?

M

mastylo
<b>Language Tutor</b>

Postby mastylo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:07 am

Hi,
I can highly recommend you this very useful book:
The Bulgarian Verb - A Practical Manual.
Author: Savelina Banova
Cover price: 6 euros
This edition represents a reference manual to the Bulgarian verb system and is directed at those who study Bulgarian as a foreign language. It includes a description of the verb formation in Bulgarian and English and contains over 1500 of the most commonly used verbs, presented in 35 different patterns.
You could purchase it from this e-bookshop http://edel.bol.bg/bg_lang.html or from the publishing house: http://bogorov.com/foreigners.html
Best wishes,
Boris

RICO
Super User!
Super User!

a verb a day

Postby RICO » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:01 pm

Hi Milka & Mastylo,
I will try and get my head around the conjugations and I maybe I will get the verb grammar to add to my collection. Thanks for the info.

Rico

mastylo
<b>Language Tutor</b>

Postby mastylo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:15 pm

Hi Rico,
You could take a look at this webpage too: http://www.hf.uio.no/ilos/studier/stude ... bverb.html
Regards,
Boris

Phreddy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Phreddy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:21 pm

Nice piece of work, Milka, that way of working seems to be the way forward for the awkward conjugations. (сея is quite correct BTW)
I have been looking for the answer to “Is it C I, e or C II и?” My teacher says that one just has to learn them one by one or at least by exception.
One would think that ‘your’ system here would be universal through all the books. Maybe there are many exceptions.
I have been too busy to post another verb, we are having a new roof and I am having to run around for materials. I still get to the internet occasionally but didn’t have the time needed to research the verbs. Today I am awake early today so time to buckle down and do the job. Today’s, or rather this week’s verb follows.

Phreddy

Phreddy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Phreddy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:29 pm

I had thought of Поливам To water (the garden), spray or sprinkle and for the twin verb thread Да полея which according to Milka’s post above will be a Conj. I (and be another ee verb)
Beware when it says 'spray' it may not mean ‘spray the trees or vines'. I need to check that verb. BGNs seem to have many different verbs where Eng. Uses one ie ‘spray’.
Поливам is used commonly for the garden but has other usage. It could be for wetting the road – and no, I don’t know where this might be done although it was a common practice in England many years ago.
Поливам някому да се измене is to pour water for someone to wash and
Поливам нещо is to celebrate or to have a drink on something. И може би Поливам рожден ден (and maybe to drink on someone’s birthday). That one is just my thought and I need to check it with an authority.
Поливам се с нещо is to spill something on one’s self.

Phreddy.

Rico: Bulgarian verbs are difficult but if you start with one conjugation (prefably conj. III, the easiest) and learn that thoroughly you are well on your way. I and II seem strange but are mostly about the difference in a vowel - e or и.

balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:20 am

Hmm, seens the gardening verbs might have got a bit bogged down (recent heavy rain in Bg no doubt the reason) :)

So let's throw up some "movement" verbs which are useful in everyday talk, eg with taxi drivers, giving/getting directions, taking leave of someone etc.

Ones we'll all probably know -

идвам - to come (literally, I am coming or I come).
отивам - to go.

And useful for journies, airports etc -

пристигам - to arrive
заминавам - to depart

And for en route -

продължавам - to continue
тръгвам - to set off
ходя - also to set off
спирам - to stop
карам - to drive

I believe that, with the exception of ходя, in their "simple" form these are all Group III verbs (second person singular ends in -аш). ходя is, I think, Group II (second person singular ends in -(иш).

Anyone care to identify the "da" form of these verbs?

Return to “Learn the Language”