Tips and advice on learning Bulgarian

Moderator: Moderator

Phreddy
Super User!
Super User!

Twin Verbs and the present tense.

Postby Phreddy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:39 pm

Twin Verbs and the present tense.

Sticky: All verbs are twinned. Not all verbs have a twin that is different, they are – identical twins! Both verbs have the same meaning.

The verbs in Bulgarian are governed by something called ‘aspect’ which has two parts perfective and imperfective.
It is not intended to explain aspect here except to note that perfective indicates a completed or finished action. I think of it as: When it is finished, it is made and that is just perfect!! BulkanKiwi found a book that uses the expression Terminated. Whatever suits you, it is a ‘done deal’
With certain exceptions perfective or terminated does not occur in the present tense since all actions are on-going or incomplete and so are imperfective.

The first verb of the pair given in this thread is the imperfective verb and is the one shown in the dictionary where only one is given or is the first shown where both are given.

The second verb, the perfective, has the same meaning as the first and in the present tense is used wherever one would use the expression ‘to do something’ eg: to go, to live etc.
For the sake of completeness, there are two other occasions where the perfective verb is used in the present tense:
a. After conditional words such as когато ‘when’ and ако ‘if’ showing that something will occur (and will be finished or completed);
B. Where са да (in order to) or just да on its own is used. Each shows the intention for an action to be completed.
To avoid complication, it is not my intention of using the second or third condition in this thread.

Is this all clear, does anyone need more explanation?

Hav a look at the examples and see if it helps you.

Phreddy

Phreddy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Phreddy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:45 pm

Twin verbs and the present tense.

It is my intention to follow Leedarkwood’s ‘Verb a Day’ thread. Her first verb was Обичам which is an imperfective verb with an identical twins.

Both parts are Обичам so…

Today’s pair: To like/love: Обичам (Да) Обичам

I like bread Обичам хляб
I want to like bread Искам да обичам хляб

A strange sentence I know but needs must. I am sure that you can think of better. Note the need to keep the да

Can you supply further examples buying other items and using other ‘persons’ ie not first person singular that I have used?

Return to “Learn the Language”