Twin Verbs and the simple future tense.

Tips and advice on learning Bulgarian

Moderator: Moderator

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:03 pm

Cameo wrote:Can I ask, where do you all get this BG keyboard stuff from. Do you have 2 sets of keyboards, one to do the UK stuff and one to do the BG stuff. Explain to a dummy please.

Hi Cameo, no, 2 sets of keyboards are not needed! :lol: You should have Bulgarian already on your pc, you just don't know it... and you can then change back and fore between the two. Here's how fizzgiguk2001 tells us how to do this:

To get cyrillic keyboard using windows xp:Control panel:Date, time, language, and regional options:Regional and language options:languages:advanced-Select Bulgarian from list once selected will be able to toggle eng/bulg

Suellen also explained it like this:

I have Microsoft 2000 XP
Right click start, programs, accessories right click accessibility right click curser down to on-screen keyboard
you can change the language on the bottom task bar.

If you can't find it on your pc, Bankie advises:

I downloaded a valuation keyboard from

www.cyrillic.com

sure there must be a freeware version somewhere, just havent had a chance to look yet.

There are other programmes also, but try to see if your own pc already has Bulgarian on it first! :wink:

Good luck! Mod 8)

Muckie
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby Muckie » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:41 am

Hi Cameo,
When getting the Bulgarian software for you keyboard, be sure to get Bulgarian Phonetic Keyboard. This one has the letters in the same places as our own Latin ( ie д is in the D position etc.). This makes it much easier to type.

Try this link : www.cnet.com.au/downloads/BG_Phonetic

Good Luck

Muckie

Cameo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Cameo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:22 am

Thanks for that Mod. I will go and have a scout around my own comptuer first. Also, someone at my language class told me that she found this site (from someone on here who recommended it) that she can type a letter to someone in English, and the program automatically changes it to the bulgarian words. She says that she can write to her BG friends in English and they get it translated into BG. Have you any idea about what this site is called as I would love to have a go with it. Would ask the lady at the class, but she stopped going after the second lesson !

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:36 am

Hi again Cameo, there are a number of online text translation sites - 1 or 2 have been recommended in the past on My Bulgaria - but just google bulgarian translation and you will be sure to come across a few!

A word of caution though... although these sites can be of help the results are not the same as using a human translator and often get words, tenses and meanings etc extremely wrong! Please don't use them if you need to be accurate, and if you write to your Bulgarian friends in this way, do expect the odd question back about what you were trying to convey! It can be fun though, typing in text and seeing how it translates it!!! :lol:

8) :wink:

Cameo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Cameo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:23 am

Thanks Muckie, thanks Mod, hubby and I are going to have great fun with these.

eureka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eureka » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:31 pm

MOD wrote:
Cameo wrote:Can I ask, where do you all get this BG keyboard stuff from. Do you have 2 sets of keyboards, one to do the UK stuff and one to do the BG stuff. Explain to a dummy please.

Hi Cameo, no, 2 sets of keyboards are not needed! :lol: You should have Bulgarian already on your pc, you just don't know it... and you can then change back and fore between the two. Here's how fizzgiguk2001 tells us how to do this:

To get cyrillic keyboard using windows xp:Control panel:Date, time, language, and regional options:Regional and language options:languages:advanced-Select Bulgarian from list once selected will be able to toggle eng/bulg

Suellen also explained it like this:

I have Microsoft 2000 XP
Right click start, programs, accessories right click accessibility right click curser down to on-screen keyboard
you can change the language on the bottom task bar.

If you can't find it on your pc, Bankie advises:

I downloaded a valuation keyboard from

www.cyrillic.com

sure there must be a freeware version somewhere, just havent had a chance to look yet.

There are other programmes also, but try to see if your own pc already has Bulgarian on it first! :wink:

Good luck! Mod 8)

Thanks for the information above (which I came across by accident)

I've been wondering how I might be able to type in Cyrillic text for some time.

I managed to bring up the Cyrillic option using the above instructions for windows, after several tries. However, the latin keys on my keyboard don't correspond in any way to Cyrillic letters making it impossible to choose which letter to type.

Do I need Cyrillic stickers for my keyboard or something?

I tried the other link for "phonetic keyboard" but it couldn't be found.

Brandi

Postby Brandi » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:13 pm

Phonetic tends to be custom made for desktop/laptop computers sold IN Bulgaria. If your pc/laptop was not bought there you wouldn't have an indication keyboard-wise.

Learning to type phonetic Bulgarian is fairly easy - there are about 5 characters (read letters) where you do not expect to find them on a normal QWERTY keyboard but it DOES depend on whether you're on XP or Vista cos some smart "b"anker (not) thought it would be a good idea to alter the typing format in Vista and consequentially slow down anyone's typing rate by about 30 percent (well those who have been proficient in phonetic typing in the past 20 years anyway) :roll:

B52
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby B52 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:16 pm

eureka, a simple (you don't have to set up language or keyboard), albeit slow, way is to ….

In XP, for example, with your favorite word processor open, select start, all programs, accessories, system tools, character map.

From the font list at the top of the Character Map window that is displayed, select Times New Roman (there are other fonts but use this one for the time being, until you are expert, like tomorrow).

Scroll down through the map until, when your cursor hovers over the characters, you are in the range from U+0410 to U+044F (you will see that it displays the code and says something like “Cyrillic Capital Letter Sha” depending upon which character you are hovered over) which are the Bulgarian Cyrillic characters, upper followed by lower case.

If you double click on a character, you will see it placed in the “Characters to copy” box below (you can explicitly type stuff in there yourself, including blanks, and edit it to form sentences, if you like).

When you are done (sorry, I don’t know if there is a limit on the number of characters) click on the Copy button. Return (Alt-Tab is a good key combination to know, if you don’t already) to your word processor and paste the text where you want it (Ctl-V is another good key combination to know).

If you want the Cyrillic script characters, that are different to the standard character set and is more typical in newspapers and magazines, in your word processor, select the text you want in script and apply italics to it (it only “converts” lower case characters).

balkankiwi
Super User!
Super User!

Postby balkankiwi » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi eureka,

The reason the Cyrillic letters don't correspond in any obvious way to the Latin (QWERTY) layout is because the Windows tool you used allocates the Cyrillic letters as laid out on the BDS (Bulgarian State Standard) keyboard and not the "transliterated" layout that many Bulgarians use when writing Bulgarian in the Latin alphabet, which allocates the Cyrillic letters roughly to match the sound of the Latin letters. (You can download programs from the internet to give you this alternative, but I recommend you learn the BDS layout, since it will assist your spelling in Bulgarian in the longer term.)

The best way to make productive use of what you've now discovered on your computer would be - at least this is my suggestion - to invest in a Cyrillic keyboard, which cost next to nothing here in Bulgaria. They have both the QWERTY layout and the BDS layout shown on each key. (Eg, the Latin "T" happens to be the Cyrillic "Ш".) No software needed, you just plug them into a USB port. With practice, you'll start to remember where the Cyrillic letters are located and in time you can - as I've done - dispense with the separate keyboard and just use your pc/laptop keyboard, switching between English and Bulgarian by setting up a simple macro (I use "Alt" + right-hand "Shift").

Hope this helps,
BK

eureka
Super User!
Super User!

Postby eureka » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:16 pm

Thanks everyone.

I was hoping that I could just quickly change to Cyrillic for those odd times when I wanted to type Bulgarian words.

I can do this now in the options that i found in my laptop, I just have no idea which letter to type to choose the Cyrillic letter that I want.

I agree that not using the phonetic option will help my spelling. I find it much more difficult to write Bulgarian words phonetically in the latin alphabet, since I deliberately chose to learn my limited amount of Bulgarian in Cyrillic alone. (I know this sounds silly, since most people I know find it easier to write phonetically in latin).

I have seen keyboards in Kauflands for as little as about 7 Leva, and was temped to buy one. This seems to be a more extreme option, hooking up a keyboard to a laptop just for those odd occasions. However, I think that I will go down that road as it will be much easier for me to type in Cyrillic letters, and may also encourage me to practice my Bulgarian more often.

Other than that, keyboard stickers may be a (messier) option.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Return to “Learn the Language”