difficult to learn Bulgarian?

Tips and advice on learning Bulgarian

Moderator: Moderator

devondumpling

learning Bulgrian

Postby devondumpling » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:51 am

I've heard some excuses for dipping a round before, Bozzy, but never came across this one before! Not watertight, though - there are other Bulgarian greetings!

bozzy

Postby bozzy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:56 am

Seedy wrote:
bozzy wrote:I certainly won't be ordering rounds in this lifetime :lol:

Aha - you're from Yorkshire, then? :wink:

Lincolnshire but I'm still tight lol

lyn
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby lyn » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:02 am

Just drop the 'z,' bozzy. They'll understand you! :lol:

MOONLIGHT

Postby MOONLIGHT » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:32 am

Listen to and try some of these bozzy.
It wont break the bank to join!

http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/EN/ENBG/ENBG002.HTM

regards.

Hippyboy
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Hippyboy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:18 pm

Look this might not work for everybody , but I'm a firm believer in learning the language at your local pub . It's cheaper and more sociable than going to a school , and in my experience there are locals that want to learn a bit of English as well , so you teach each other over a pint or two , and hope that you remember something the following day . When I first moved to Rusalya there was a Bulgarian guy who was often doing building work for English people who couldn't speak any Bulgarian , so we taught each other the words for wall, door , window , roof , tiles , plaster etc , good for him good for me. Get a bit of vocabulary together , then try stringing the words together into sentences . It might not be perfect , but Bulgarians do appreciate foreigners trying to speak their language , and some of them will forgive your mistakes . Tim .

jinx57
<b>Property Finder</b>

Postby jinx57 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:03 pm

got to agree with Hippieboy!

Bulgarian is not difficult to 'lick up enough to get by' but it is difficult to learn all the tenses and the inflections and nuance etc

learning to pronounce the letters is not difficult but learning how to write correctly in the correct tense etc like speaking is difficult

the more you mix with Bulgarian folk the quicker it's leant ! if you mix wiht Brits and speak English all the time, Bulgarian will be very hard to learn

good luck anyway!

MOD
<b>Be Generous & Give MOD a Home</b>

Postby MOD » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:28 am

Blueear added:
Fundamental Tip

I taught myself the Cyrillic alphabet on the flight over to Bulgaria, and found that being able to read signs made things much easier, even without knowledge of the language (other than basic greetings etc.)
If you've ever studied other languages at school or since, you'll find that you can understand some words if you're simply able to voice the word from it's cyrillic spelling.

Regards

Samche

Postby Samche » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:18 pm

I'm still laughing from the 'morkovi' / 'more coffee' story- not sure if it was on this thread or another one.

You have to be willing to learn from your mistakes- it's the best way of learning. I always ask people to give me a moment rather than a minute and I will certainly never confuse pateka and putka again!!

Return to “Learn the Language”