Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:39 pm

Very old-fashioned of you, Mastylo! :lol:

We "Modern Men" can deal with gender without bringing up sex..... :wink:

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Seedy wrote:Aha! So all that time being flogged by house-masters and having Latin and Ancient Greek drummed into me is responsible for how I am now? :cry:

Taught me a thing or too - admittedly not how to read or write - but still, a thing or too!

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:05 pm

'Whadya mean its an adjective ?'

One of the first questions I had to deal with when I had the thankless task of teaching the Bulgarian Tongue to a poorly-educated subject of Her Majesty.

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:23 am

neilmay wrote:I think that Bulgarians cannot think out of the box a lot of times.
Fruit is плод.
Tea чай
so
Fruit tea плод чай
NO
плодов чай

When someone told me I had to use the ending I got what I ordered.
In the UK we are so used to accents and foreigners that if people leave out the end of words we usually guess but not in Bulgaria.
Some Bulgarians will help were as others just look blank.
This does not help when you are trying to speak.
Reading Bulgarian helps, as you see all their odd prefixes.

Milky coffee, anyone?

Or a creamy pie :oops:

Home made by a homely maid.

What's so difficult about English?

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:51 am

gimlet wrote:What's so difficult about English?

Try a day being dyslexic and you will soon find out.

how about this as an example, a numbering system,

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 etc

English language numbering system

1, 2, 31 (silent 1), 4, 5, 97 (97 is pronounced 6 like in Physical Ph is F), 7, 8, 9, 10, 181 (silent 8 ), 12, 197 ( 97 as i said is 6 But it can be 3 as GH can be both F and H as in Loughborough), 14, 15 , 172 (17 always has a 2 following it like U follows Q).

How do you think your maths "O" level would have gone with that numbering system???

Ill give you an idea with some of my results.
Maths A
Physics A
Chenistry B
Biology B
Etc

English F,F,F,F,C

I re sat English 5 times and only passed it cos the English teacher took pity on me and came to my house every weekend for a month before the 5th time exam and "coached" me through it. AND I'M ENGLISH!!!!

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:20 am

Obviously you can't recognise irony either :wink:

Anyway those numbers are not exclusively English so presumably you would have had the same difficulty if you were French, German or even Bulgarian. Or am I mising something? This is not dyscalculia but a difficulty in rendering numbers in speech or thought, right?

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:31 am

gimlet wrote:Obviously you can't recognise irony either :wink:

Hi - if you were being ironic then i did completely 100% miss it!!! :lol:

However i dont have a problem with number at all - i was trying to put the stupid rules of English into a numerical format to try and give none dyslexic people an idea what English is like for those who are dyslexic.

I.e. instead of things being straight forward 1,2,3,4,5, etc they are unnecessarily complicated by stupid rules 1,2,31 (silent 1), 4, 5 .......... etc

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:53 am

That's all right, I was a little upset for a while but I had a fruity tart to take my mind off it :D

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Re: difficult to learn Bulgarian?

Postby Seedy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:38 pm

mastylo wrote:Do people speak like The BBC journalists? I don`t think so.

There WAS a time when you would have been quite correct in your assumption, Mastylo.

Sadly, these days even BBC broadcasters appear to have a somewhat tenuous grasp of the English language and the demands of populism require journos on the Beeb not to talk proper no more, innit. Well, at least they're exercising their Human Right to express themselves, even if the listener is left grinding his teeth at incorrect usage, lax grammar and sloppy thinking.... :cry:

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:47 pm

AngloBulgarian wrote:However i dont have a problem with number at all - i was trying to put the stupid rules of English into a numerical format to try and give none dyslexic people an idea what English is like for those who are dyslexic.

You're quite right, of course - but this problem only arises when reading or writing; if you want to learn English, or any language, then it is undoubtedly easier to approach it from the standpoint of pre-reading children everywhere in the world - simply learn to speak and worry about the written aspect once you have a basic grounding.

However, your point about the "stupid rules of English" appears to be largely irrelevant to the majority of people who fondly imagine they speak English as their mother-tongue.... :wink:

Return to “Learn the Language”