difficult to learn Bulgarian?

Tips and advice on learning Bulgarian

Moderator: Moderator

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:41 pm

gimlet wrote:
cd's should be CD's

The ubiquitous grocer's apostrophe has insinuated itself in there, I'm afraid. In that respect Fen's lower case attempt was better.
:?

I refer you to my previous answer about the stupid rules of English and Dyslexia - to which i now add Gamma Snobbery.

Additional, and this is from the heart, why do people who are good at the (lets face it totally bl**dy useless, arcane and irrelevant (no diss Gimlet - not meaning you - I know you were poking fun)) skills of spotting the miniscule errors of grammar of others Lord it over the rest of society??????

If someone is crap at maths they just use a calculator and say " God - carnt add a dam thing up in my head" - yet spot a bl**dy semi colon in the wrong place and you may as well be G W Bush!! Its the same phenomenon as those who get up early - you would think they had been especially blessed by God personally. "Yes but you go to bed at 10.00pm and im on the phone to suppliers in the US at that time", "WELL - your MISSING the best part of the day!!!", "Drop dead - well you do at 10.00"

Let me see you pedants do some string theory or ill throw you a bone and you can use English for this one; discuss the ins and outs of Brain's in level 4 parallel Universes or for easy starters Inflation Bubbles in Level 2 or for the Nematodes The collapse of Probability waveforms in the subatomic and there impact on the macro (lottery players - this is where hope lies) - let the maths and physics guys have some fun (sorry forget were nerds and your Educated!) - rant over!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Serious point though - im crap at English, im dyslexic, which is miserable. But why, all my life, have I been made to feel sub human for this short coming when the maths dunces lough if off???????

And to stay on topic - YES BULGARIAN IS DIFFICULT TO LEARN, but that should not stop you and it is worth while!

scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:29 am

Difficult ? You shpuld try Japanese or Thai or one of the West African tonal languages !

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:51 am

houseman wrote:Par example, Seedders?

Is that a serious question? Man (m), woman (f), child/baby (n - sorry, fond parents!), dog (n), cat (n), horse (n), table (n), house (n)......can I stop now, please? :lol:

Malky
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Malky » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:53 am

Well done AngloBulgarian.

Folk should remember that dyslexics are teople poo!

Malky

kazz
<b>Country Advisor/Property Finder</b>

Postby kazz » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:02 am

So who amongst our teachers of Bulgarian can come up with a mathematical approach to Bulgarian grammar?
I certainly make use of probability theory then trying to figure out the most likely past tense endings and the weird stress on parts of the words you wouldn't expect gives rise to something of a wave form when you finally manage to string a sentence together.
Come on guys.....this could be a whole new approach to language teaching.....
:lol: :lol:

Seedy
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby Seedy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:40 am

AngloBulgarian wrote:Serious point though - im crap at English, im dyslexic, which is miserable. But why, all my life, have I been made to feel sub human for this short coming when the maths dunces lough if off???????

That's a very reasonable question, AB. I don't see why someone should laugh at another person for their shortcomings, since we all have plenty of our own - I imagine someone who is perfect in every way might be qualified to do so but their perfection would presumably not permit this behaviour. :wink:

That said, are you SURE that it's other people who are making you feel like that or is it perhaps no more than a feeling that that is how you SHOULD feel and hence something of a self-fulfilling prophecy?

AngloBulgarian wrote:Additional, and this is from the heart, why do people who are good at the (lets face it totally bl**dy useless, arcane and irrelevant ... skills of spotting the miniscule errors of grammar of others Lord it over the rest of society??????

You're right in way here, although I hope you'll agree that such skills are not quite as "useless" as you feel - the concept of more and more books being published without being proof-read at least once is a very depressing one. However, the whole point is that language is THE major means of communication which separates mankind from the animals - I make no claims as to whether this constitutes proof of "superiority" however! Human development appears to have only increased and improved once language evolved, so it is THE core skill of the race. The "useless" and "irrelevant" general rules that you complain of are no more than a means of ensuring that communication is as clear, precise and accurate as it can be; the more complex a language is, the more possibilities there are for misunderstanding or ambiguity if there are no rules for deciphering it.

I remain to be convinced that the ability to write correct English and/or decipher the Times crossword constitutes "Lording it over the rest of society", especially in these days of inclusivity and Yuman Rites.

AngloBulgarian wrote:If someone is crap at maths they just use a calculator and say " God - carnt add a dam thing up in my head" - yet spot a bl**dy semi colon in the wrong place and you may as well be G W Bush!!

Not a bad analogy but then your comment was presumably typed on a computer - said machine does have facilities for checking grammar and spelling for those who need them. If someone who is no good at arithmetic uses a calculator to ensure they get their sums right, what exactly stops a person who knows their language skills are not all they might be from using these facilities? After all, it is no more than a sign of respect to the person to whom you are talking/writing to at least try to communicate your meaning clearly and accurately.

AngloBulgarian wrote:Let me see you pedants do some string theory or ill throw you a bone and you can use English for this one; discuss the ins and outs of Brain's in level 4 parallel Universes or for easy starters Inflation Bubbles in Level 2 or for the Nematodes The collapse of Probability waveforms in the subatomic and there impact on the macro (lottery players - this is where hope lies) - let the maths and physics guys have some fun (sorry forget were nerds and your Educated!) - rant over!

Being a bear of very little brain, I'm not entirely sure what relevance these theories have. "Explaining" something which can't be proven to exist by inventing notions which are possibly as accurate as that of Phlogiston is neither new nor especially impressive. Once they can be proven then we will all no doubt be highly impressed but until that happens they are indeed of great interest but still no more than wishful thinking. Oh, and I believe that the favoured term is "multiverse" rather than "parallel universes". :wink:

I do find your own theory that people who make an effort to speak and write correctly are self-evidently unable to grasp scientific or mathematical principles rather familiar, however - it reminds me strongly of someone who once complained that this made him feel "sub human".... :wink:

AngloBulgarian

Postby AngloBulgarian » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:39 am

Hi Seedy

As with all topics one starts on here it is never possible to give the whole story without making the posts vastly truncated and even more boring than i already do (7 spelling mistakes in that sentence i have just had to correct)!

I dont want to imply that if your good at English and it usage you will be dafacto (sp?) crap at maths, that's ridiculous.

My dig was not with those who take the effort to construct a sentence the recipient can understand (i do! and because of my dyslexia i have to put more effort in than most) but with those who take a disproportionate amount of pleasure in pointing out to others there grammatical and spelling mistakes.

Its not as bad as it was years ago - I was literally beaten at school for being thick at English (presumable they thought this would make me brighter??), my parents were dragged in and told to stop "encouraging me" - "He is educationally sub normal and encouraging him to aim higher will only lead to disappointment for all of you!" - i quote!! I was sacked from a job because i spelled Birmingham wrong on a letter - BY A MAN WHO USED TO SEND OUT 80% OF INVOICES WRONG BECAUSE HE COULD NOT USE A CALCULATOR!!!

I have got a chip on my shoulder about this issue ill be the first to admit that - it comes from decades of ridicule and humiliation which was very real and not imaginary. Now, thankfully, its largely a historical issue for me and i fully beleive my generation were the last to suffer this curse as understanding of these problems has moved on and (as you said) technology has intervened to largely mask the issue for sufferers. Additionally each year another crop of gleeful, rub your nose in it, pedants die off!! :wink:

houseman
Super User!
Super User!

Postby houseman » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:45 am

Seedy, I shall go out immediately and buy a hat just so I can take it off to you. Excellent post.

Previously, I was really making the point that at least in English you don't have to make the adjective "agree" with the noun: so it's just "pretty" for man, woman, horse, table etc. etc. Hence my assertion that there aren't genders to English nouns, even if they imply a gender due to the object they describe having a gender in themselves.

That was my agenda. :D

gimlet
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby gimlet » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:15 pm

I suspect that we have far fewer people with a scientific or technical education in public life than ever before, and we are the poorer for it.

Most techie people seem to have an inferiority complex these days and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because their intensity of concentration can make them a bit blinkered and hinder the development of the "soft" skills that are in demand these days. Or it may just be that they are paid relatively little and thus think themselves worthless.

Rigour, exactness and truth are the stock in trade of the technical mind and they contrast favourably with the woolly muddle of the ignorant talking heads that hold most management positions and positions of authority these days. For example, they can be recognised by their ability to babble about issues of "gender" when presumably they mean sex.

I don't find your posts difficult to understand or follow, AB.

To end on a pedantic note, it's "minuscule" not "miniscule". That doesn't make anyone who uses miniscule a bad person, it's just a wrong (though understandable) spelling. A bit like "consensus" as opposed to "concensus" which I'm glad to see someone got right recently :wink:

Fen

Postby Fen » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:20 pm

To get back on topic, English grammar in the main is less important when speaking than when writing but Bulgarian grammar is used as much in speaking as in writing which as well as the different alphabet makes it hard to learn. IMO

Return to “Learn the Language”