BG word for MISTLETOE

Tips and advice on learning Bulgarian

Moderator: Moderator

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Buster36

BG word for MISTLETOE

Postby Buster36 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:31 pm

I need the Bulgarian word for Mistletoe please. And can someone tell me if Bulgarians have the same view of Mistltoe that we brits have, i.e. its for Christmas time when we bring it in to the house, with the traditions of kissing under it. I have been reading on the net that its supposed to bring you luck for the following year in many countries, but did not know if this applies to over here. I have noticed it on a lot of trees around my way, and plan to cut down a large bunch of it this December and decorate the house with it.

Second questions, does anybody know if the berries are harmful to cats if they eat them?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
glyndwr
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby glyndwr » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:44 pm

имел dont ask me how to pronounce it

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Buster36

Postby Buster36 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:45 pm

Ahhh thanks. That looks like IMEL to me. Will try it out on my neighbour and see if she recognises it. Thank you.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
glyndwr
Not 'so' Newbie!
Not 'so' Newbie!

Postby glyndwr » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Buster36 wrote:Ahhh thanks. That looks like IMEL to me. Will try it out on my neighbour and see if she recognises it. Thank you.

any translating try to be done try this web site http://translate.google.com/translate_t?sl=bg&tl=en#

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Brandi

Postby Brandi » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:58 pm

The word is indeed "имел" but it is virtually unknown in Bulgaria, largely due to the plant not being native to the country and the fact that it serves no purpose within the whole X-mas caboodle.

Now the word "хмел", which is very similar to "имел", will be known as it translates hops so don't let people confuse you or try to convince you "imel" doesn't exist :lol:

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
skaviva
<b>Language Tutor/Translations</b>

Re: BG word for MISTLETOE

Postby skaviva » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Buster36 wrote:I need the Bulgarian word for Mistletoe please. And can someone tell me if Bulgarians have the same view of Mistltoe that we brits have, i.e. its for Christmas time when we bring it in to the house, with the traditions of kissing under it. I have been reading on the net that its supposed to bring you luck for the following year in many countries, but did not know if this applies to over here. ?

ИМЕЛ, accent on Е. No, we don't have this custom of kissing under the mistletoe.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
scot47
Mega User!
Mega User!

Postby scot47 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:13 pm

Interesting that the Celts who were in Bulgaria 2000 years ago did not leave this mystical practice. Maybe like most of these things (eg the Eisteddfodd) it was an invention of crazed Victorian Romantics ?

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
loz
Super User!
Super User!

Postby loz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:22 pm

I think you'll find that the first eisteddfod was a bit earlier than that.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Cameo
Super User!
Super User!

Postby Cameo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:24 pm

I watched a program on the telly ages ago which said that mistletoe was kind of dying out a bit as the high levels of polution in the air, like acid rain etc. was really bad for it and it was dying. So you can imagine how excited I was when driving around my area, which is near Elhovo, and saw that the trees are thick with the stuff. I have now convinced myself that Im living in a really really clean air place............... so dont anybody dissallusion me, ok.

Sell Overseas Property
Cash For Your Property
Brandi

Postby Brandi » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:35 pm

Having read you post, I was actually intrigued so looked up the very few references for "имел" that are available. Apparently, it does grow in the wild in Eastern Bulgaria (Varna region is mentioned in particular) ..... I don't think I like it, given the write up below and the dedicated effort that apparently goes into eradicating it!!

Това растение е паразитно по дърветата. Вечнозелен паразитен храст. Среща се в Източна България и особено в региона на Варна и в самия град.

Употребяват се клончетата, листата и плодовете.
Фигурира в списъка на отровните растения. При внимателно дозиране и лекарско предписание е без опасност за здравето.

Употребява се при безплодие.
Начин на употреба:
Белите му сочни плодове се варят в старо вино. Отварата се пие 3 пъти дневно.

Помага и за усилване на кърмата у кърмачките. А кърмачка, която няма мляко - може да взема по 1-2 зърна (плодчета) от белия имел на обяд и вечер преди ядене.

Прилага се още при миома на матката, за смъкване на кръвното налягане, при белодробни болести.

В северните народи имел от бреза се слави като средство против епилепсия.
Според народната медицина билката лекува диария.
Варят се 2-3 клонки в 0.4 л вода в продължение на 10-15 минути. Взема се по 1 ракиена чаша 3 пъти дневно.

Return to “Learn the Language”